Me than 7 days?

I have seen in many chat groups and have read on many sites, that there are those Dex users who can use their sensors for longer than 7 days. I just received my Dex and am on my second sensor (yeah, that's how new I am to it), but I couldnt figure out how to use it longer since my monitor says, it's time to change the sensor and then it just doesn't do anything else.

Any ideas?

Simply do a "Stop Sensor" and then "Start Sensor" on the receiver. You'll have to wait 2 hours for it to start up again and enter the start up BGs, but that's it.

Thanks Gary,
But it wouldn't allow me to do that. Do i have to do that before the time is up on the countdown? or wait til afterwards and then just start it again? At the end of the countdown the oppnly option I had was to start it again, but it didnt work.

If you hit start sensor should will display a gray box in the corner. It is counting down the time to calibrate.

Thanks mhynes...

So nice to have a group to ask questions to. I don't personally know any T1D's so I appreciate your feedback. :)

The Dexcom receiver cannot tell whether or not you put in a new sensor. Do exactly what you would do if you had put in a new sensor.

Welcome Jeff,

This is a great group to find a lot of useful information. I had gone through about 20 sensors before I knew I could just restart them (can't believe I didn't think of it). Before I learned to restart them, I only had about 2 of the 20 that didn't make it to the 7 days. If that ever happens just call Dexcom and they will replace it. Make sure to keep the wrapper it comes in because they will need the lot number and everything.

As far as going past the 7 days, I've tried it on three sensors now. The longest I have gotten is 14, most recently 9. There is a conspiracy that Dexcom has gotten better about manufacturing them so they don't last for 20+ days like they used to...and from what I've gathered, it is likely true.

The best advice I could get you is in how to make the adhesive last longer than the sensor. This is my routine:

1)Shave the site (I prefer belly but that's a whole other discussion) the night before you are going to insert it (I give it 12 hours prior because shaving leaves moisturizer oil on your skin).
2)Shower the next morning, scrubing the site with soap, and then an oil-free fragrance free face wash (I use that orange Liquid Neutrogena stuff).
3)Dry completely, then scrub with alcohol swab (or clorocept prep stick), and I mean scrub the area, not just wipe.
4)Carefully adhere to skin avoiding any "wrinkling" of the adhesive.
5)Insert...I've found the faster and more fluid I get the plunger in, the more accurate the sensor is. I get intimidated by it every time even though I've done it plenty of times now, so there have been times I kind of got it in 80% of the way then had finish it off. It could have just been variation in sensor quality, but I still think it's more accurate with one swift plunge.

So after this, the edge will start to show slight peeling at day 6-8 (usually at the top). At this point, I add some Flexifix around the edge, not over the sensor (~$20, roll will last you ~1year), and this thing isn't coming off before sensor goes crazy and dies.

Once you get the ??? on day 9-15, I try to recalibrate after an hour or so, but if it still gives you more ??? or really jerky readings, I know it's time for a new one.

It is definitely different for everyone, but this is what I've learned in the last year, so hopefully it helps.

Cheers,
TT

Wow, TT -- That's a crazy bunch of stuff you gotta do...

I've been getting 12-15 days off my sensors lately, and have no need to do all the shaving (eek!) and other stuff you do -- on it goes, and it just stays put for the duration... unless I happen to rip it off by accident! Yeah, that happened to me just the other day -- was wearing the sensor on the outside of my left arm and was getting ready to head out on my bike. I was shirtless for a moment as I fetched my jersey from our washer/dryer, and as I entered my house, I slipped a little and -- BAM! -- hit my left arm on the door jamb, ripping the dang thing out (it was just hanging there by the adhesive...). That was day seven and I had just restarted it earlier in the day. Dang it.

/\/\

I hear you man. I think I go through my ritual to get the longer time because I spend a lot of time in my wetsuit in the water. I know you are an active cyclist, and you haven't had adhesive issues from sweating during work-out? And due you always wear it on your arm? I have yet to try that because I sleep on my side with by arm behind my pillow at night so I feel like it would come off earlier, but I've heard good things about that site.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Connor McCue (thoght I'd put up my real name when I saw your last name).

Thanks guys. This is very helpful info. So here is another question for you all. Where do you keep your receiver? On your belt, in your pocket? When you ride your bike (live in Utah and hope to do more of this ) Wwhen you surf? (im a native so cal kid grew up surfing and bodyboarding Manhattan Beach as my home break) Run (when i cant do the other stuff)? If you are “pumpers” what do you donwith the pump while doing these or other activities?

Hey Connor --

We almost have the same last name, but you dropped the l and the r!! :)

I sweat... A LOT. No issues with the sensors coming loose from my stomach or my legs or my arms. None. I'm fairly sensitive to sticky adhesives, too. No probs at all from the Dex stuff at all. No issues from sleeping on them (woke me up twice with low alerts last night...). I'm trying to use my arms now -- my tummy is kinda sensitive -- hurts to inject and hurts to leave it there for long periods of time.

/\/\

Zipped up in a shorts pocket.

I used to keep it in an unzipped pocket, but lost it on a ride... I actually went back and after 45 minutes of searching the trail, I asked a guy and he said he'd seen it(!!!). I went back and after a few minutes of walking the trail I actually found it. Amazing. Stays zipped up now.

/\/\

Nice,

I'll definitely try the arm (stomach is starting to get a little beat up from the sensors and injections). I know there used to be a link to a video on how to do it, but I can't find it any more. Do you happen to have the link?

I don't bring the receiver when I'm surfing...just a couple hours of no data. But knowing what kind of trend I have going into the water is good so I can drink some diluted gatoraid half way through.

Nice home surf spot, I usually do El Porto around there, but love to get up to County Line in Ventura when there isn't traffic.

I clip it in my shorts when playing tennis, but would definitely zip it in something for jogging or cycling.

During the day I just clip it in the inside of my pocket.

I wore my first sensor for 2 weeks on my abdomen, no problem. My second sensor I wore on my arm. The adhesive started coming off quicker, probably because it was on my arm. After 10 days, I took it off to find a large pimple type infection where it entered my skin. Has anyone else had this? It didn’t hurt too much, but the possibility of an infection scared me. I am guessing the longer the sensor is in the more likely the infection? Since my insurance for now is covering them fully, and they have a short expiration date, is it wise for me to just do the 7 days?

Hm. That's pretty crazy. I haven't seen anything like that, and have not heard of anyone else experiencing that kind of thing (not from anyone here on TuD)... but there's a first for everything, right? User beware!

/\/\

does it help with exercise? my daughter is a competitive dancer, and lost her edge ( and front row position) after being diagnosed with d, and lows during class, ( in the back of her dances due to inconsistency and lows)

how does it help you avoid a low then?

Yes, it can help. The Dex graph shows trending, which is very helpful to see how things are going throughout the day. But the Dex also includes arrows that denote if you are heading up or down, and how quickly those changes are manifesting! This is awesome information.

Say she goes to class on day one and is at 140. Her trending might be normal, and she sees "-->" on her Dex. During class, let's say her sugars go to 120, which would be quite normal given the raised level of activity. As long as the trend arrow is flat then this is a good day, and there is nothing to do.

However, let's say on day two she goes to class, again at 140, and that her sugars drop to 120 like the day before BUT she now sees double arrows pointing down. This shows a quick drop is occurring, but while she is still up a bit she can use that information now to get out in front of the drop. Based on the trend arrows provided by the Dex (and alarms too!) she IS going to go lower. She can now stop and get some carbs into her body. Hopefully, she will not bottom out and hit those lows that have dropped her from the front line.

Make sense?

/\/\

It has become a very valuable tool for me in the way that Michael has described. It truly is so beneficial and helpful to know not just the numbr, but if you are on a high or low path and how fast that number is changing. it really has changed how I look at my numbers.

Thanks Gary. As simple as what you'[ve escribed sounds, I wasn't sure what to do.