Meds and lada vs type 2

I have been diagnosed w/ type 2 since 2004. I’ve never been under control. Im on 64 units of Lantus at bedtime and 22 units of novolog before each meal plus, 2500 of metformin per day.
I am scared to be on all this medication and Im still not controlled. A1C is 8.2. Help!

How many carbs you are eating per day and how accurately do you feel counting carbs? How is your exercise program?

I agree that you should be able to achieve better control than an HbA1c of 8.2, but not without also making sure diet and exercise are part of the treatment.

I just looked back, you just recently went on insulin and it looks like you may need to get your diet in order and I now realize you do have some challenges with exercise.

First, I would recommend that you look to tighten up your diet. Adopt a strict low carb diet. Try to get less than 30g of carbs in your meal and work downwards. LADA or not, at least right now you may well be pretty insulini resistant. Your blood sugar may not be that bad, it just takes some time of it to be reflected in your HbA1c. You were after all in the 300s for a while. Make the diet changes smoothly and in concert with insulin changes under your doctors care.

Second, you need to become educated on this whole insulin thing. You need to order “Using Insulin” by John Walsh and “Think Like a Pancreas” by Schiener, both available on amazon. Read them, they will tell you about using insulin. At the same time pick up Schieners book on counting carbs.

Third. You need to carb count. Sign up for a local class at your diabetes education center. Every piece of food that passes your lip should be accounted for.

Fourth. You need to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are on top of this. I see from your post that all this stuff over the last months have left you just distraught over being able to control your blood sugar. You need to collect yourself and become convinced not only that you can do this with everyones help, but you are going to end up coming out of this knowing how to do it and able to do it on your own.

I know you can do this, you just have to take care of some things.

How many carbs are you eating per day and are you following a strict low carb diet? Just curious.

Thank you so much for such answering me and sharing your knowledge. I will get these books you mentioned and try the lower carb thing. My endo and nutritionist said no less than 40 carbs per meal. I have no problem going lower. It’s just that I am so sick and tired of having this diabetes in my face evry second of every day. Got to get up, take your reading, remember to take shot before you eat, remember to count carbs and fats before you can eat, then take more shots, stick yourself again and again. then take the Lantus before you go to bed.ARGGGGH !!!
Weight is an issue, then with all of this insulin etc. that makes you gain weight, which in turn runs up the sugar too.
I cry so much over this, it’s sickening. Thank you very much for your help.

Not really strict carb counting…approx 40 per meal.

There is no bad diabetic and we all struggle and burnout. Remember diabetes doesn’t make you a bad person and you can do this We get knocked down we get ourselves back up

There are many here to give you encouragement. The books BSC recommended will help you immensely and hopefully lower your insulin requirements so you don’t gain weight. I would also recommend The Diabetes Diett by Richard Bernstein.

Keep reading TU also. It will help you stay focused which is just as important as the diet.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to a fixed amount of carbs in a meal. Over time, you will want to adjust your insulin to your carb counts rather than matching your carbs to your insulin. And soon the insulin should start to work better and better and your fastings levels should come down to a normal range. I know that you are worred about all the medication, but metformin is perhaps the oldest and safest medication and if anything can get your blood sugar controlled, it is insulin. Look to your meter to tell you how you are doing. After three months, then your HbA1c will tell you your average over three months.

You are on the road to get better.

BSC, this is a really wise and compassionate response to Carolyn’s situation!

You got some great advice above, Carolyn so I won’t repeat any, but just tell you to hang in there. When you aren’t yet seeing the results and the stability you want all that work may seem both overwhelming and futile. When it starts to come together and you see the numbers you want, then it not only is worth the work, but it also becomes more routine and can receed back a bit and let you enjoy the rest of your life.I was very very overwhelmed last year when I started on insulin and I felt I’d never get it. Now it’s just part of my life and every day it becomes more relaxed. You’ll get there too!

I think we all have gone through these feelings. I know in the past I’ve felt alone, hopeless and distraught just like others here. At times I look back I wish I could go back in time to just talk to myself knowing what I do now. I can’t do that, but maybe I can help others. Thanks for your comment.

You are so very kind and I appreciate it so much. I do get so burned out and frustrated. I feel like such a failure with this disease. You’d think by now I’d be on to it like a pro, and yet, I’m far from it.
Can you please advise me on food? For example, what can I have for breakfast and snacks etc.

Carolyn,
I was diagnosed in 1984, and I have never hated the shots, but I have always hated pricking my fingers. I think it’s messy, and it hurts, plus there is the potential trauma of finding out your BS is either too high or too low.

The book BSC recommended, “Think Like a Pancreas” changed my life. I was at a pretty desperate time because I couldn’t keep my sugars down without dropping too low. He gives great direction on how to manage your diabetes. You have to take it one step at a time. Allow yourself to not be able to manage this perfectly, because perfection is impossible with Diabetes. Too many variables. The worst is that when we stress ourself out, it wrecks havoc on our blood sugars even more. He also recommends changing one thing at a time. Don’t try to do everything at once, because it is too much to take on. Pat yourself on the back once and a while.

I started by checking my glucose before dinner, and at 9pm. That way I made sure that I went to be with blood a good blood sugar.
Also, while you are waiting for the book, read the followign blog that I totally love, b/c since I was diagnosed at 12 years old, the doctors said “You must be perfect”. I ended up being this wanna be perfectionist, but constantly failed.

http://www.1happydiabetic.com/apps/blog/show/1881020-musts-shoulds-oughts

Wonderful advice from everyone.

You are not a failure! All we can do is move forward.

For low carb meals, stay away from grains (cereal, bread, pasta, crackers, rice, corn, etc), beans, fruit, fruit juice, starchy vegetables & milk. Caffeine increases BG for many people.

You want to eat protein (eggs, fish, poultry, meat), good fats, low carb veggies, cheese, nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds). Portion control is important because even low carb foods add up:)

With sufficient protein & fat you won’t be hungry & shouldn’t feel the need to snack. Nuts, raw veggies & cheese are good snacks.

Jenny’s site & book are wonderful http://www.bloodsugar101.com, in addition to the others mentioned.

There are many wonderful low carb recipe sites.

The EatSmart scale is a great investment. I love my scale. It calculates carbs, fat, protein, sodium for 999 foods.

Thanks a million to all of you. I have gotten great advice from you all. I will be getting the books mentioned. Please stick with me. I appreciate it so much.