Mental health + the power of running

WRITTEN BY: James Mansfield

May is Mental Health Awareness Month in the United States, and this year I wanted to share some personal accounts from other Type One Runners about the connection between mental health, diabetes, and running.

As likely all of us affected by Type 1 diabetes are anecdotally aware, and as has been explored by the Beyond Type 1 Mental Health series, there is a link between diabetes and depression. In addition to the constant task of self-administering a life-threatening medication (insulin) in order to try to maintain a stable and healthy blood sugar level, we also live with the fundamental awareness that our own bodies are what have caused this misery, as well as the constant need to juggle a balance between quality of life, desirable lab results, and physical, social, and emotional health – factors which don’t always neatly align.

While I don’t have a family history of T1D (every doctor seems to ask this question), I do have a family history of anxiety, depression, and suicide (no doctor seems to ask this one). As we are self-managing a chronic disease through numerous daily choices, our mental health is inextricably tied to our physical health. Not only can Type 1 diabetes exacerbate anxiety and depression, but the reverse is also true. It is all too easy to enter a downward spiral.

For me, after my diagnosis with T1D, I have been fortunate that running has become an activity which links my mind and my body and at the same time heals and enriches both. By running, I am taking an affirmative action to improve my health, beyond preventing or delaying deteriorating health by fighting my body’s insulin deficiency. And instead of focusing on the failure in my body, running also allows me to experience its positivity, strength, and capacity for improvement. It allows me to set my own goals and feel the pride and satisfaction of meeting and exceeding them.

Running takes me to new places and lets me connect with the outside and see the world in a different way. Especially when I am running long distances or on trails, running clears my mind and can feel almost spiritual when I really get into a flow. And while figuring out blood sugar management during running can be a challenge, and even downright frustrating at times, it pays back dividends when I see how much easier it makes BG management throughout the day.

And while I love to run alone, Type One Run has also brought a social aspect to running and T1D which I have found very meaningful. Through TOR, I have found many new friends around the world, both online and in real life. It’s amazing to travel to a new city and run with another person with T1D who may be complete stranger, but who shares the challenge of Type 1 diabetes and the joy of running.

JORDAN

I started running because it was good for my body, but I keep running because it’s good for my mind. Exercise is a wonderful, accessible, cheap, and scientifically-proven method of reducing stress. It’s even been shown to reduce the symptoms of depression and anxiety! Through the years, the physical and mental act of running has helped me be able to better handle all sorts of personal, professional, and other stressors that have come my way. Physically, I can stand it if I go a few days or even a week without running. But if I skip more than one day, my temper gets shorter, I get more physically anxious, and my threshold for frustration tolerance plummets! Running keeps me on track, pun not intended.

I realized recently that I often experience running the same way that other people describe the process of meditation. I don’t run with music or podcasts, and find that my thoughts just wander as I watch them go by. And when the run gets tough, it’s the mental exercise of choosing to acknowledge the pain but focus on other things instead that keeps me going. Running makes us stronger in so many ways, and teaches us important lessons that can be applied across all areas of life. I wouldn’t be who I am without it!

JON

At first I thought of Type 1 as a burden. With that diagnosis came a wave of stress and anxiety, which at times seemed to shadow even diabetes itself. Soon these three became a combo that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. High blood sugar leads to stress, low blood sugar to anxiety, over-correcting to another high blood sugar, then more stress. Eventually I realized that T1D isn’t a burden at all, because even a burden can be lifted. Sadly though, there’s no one that can lift T1D off of you. It’s your weight to bear. Day in and day out you’ll carry it around, pretending it’s lighter than it truly is. You can’t cure your T1D, but you can escape it, if only for an hour.

As you run, life tends to simplify itself. Things you can’t change in the moment tend to melt away, and you’re boiled down to a more pure version of yourself. As the blood begins to flow so do you, and the weight of stress, anxiety, and depression tends to fade. If only for the next three miles I’m no longer “Jon the Diabetic” but instead “Jon the Trail Blazing Runner.” I promise you that the endorphins of exercise are real and can free us from the weight of our reality, and can drastically change the way you cope with the stress and anxiety of T1D.

APOORVA

I was never into running in school/college, but I had to do something to manage my diabetes. I was in medical school when I was reading new things and experimenting on myself just to master my diabetes! That’s when running came into my life. For a long time, I thought I could never run because during school, I had a dreadful memory of losing consciousness once when I was asked to run. That thought stuck with me and I actually thought running was never meant for me. So I never tried for years and never got the courage to face that fear!

But with insulin shots, running came as a rescue. I began stepping out for short distances and gradually building up to miles and now I can’t believe I actually ran a full marathon last year! Running keeps me sane and mentally tough. I’m a far happier person since I started running. The time when I decided to overcome that fear of running was tough but the moment I was in the zone of my run everything seemed just so right! It gave me so much clarity and every run taught me new ways to balance my own body. I started planning my runs, my hydration and seeing how far I’ve come is inspiring because this wouldn’t have been possible without the amazing people I met on this running journey.

Running helped me gain mental strength, balance my blood sugars and I’ve never felt better – physically, mentally and emotionally. It just gave me my “me time” in the hustle and bustle of daily life! There are times when nothing seems right and I grab my shoes and decide to go run because I know after that run I’ll be more learned and more at peace with myself. Every run irrespective of how short/long it is teaches something and it’s a process – I’m still learning every day!

WENDY

I used to joke that I ran so much because I was running away from real life. I’m not sure if people could discern, but it was always only a half joke, because for awhile, I really was struggling with real life. And running was my only temporary escape, physically and mentally. But as I continued to run half-marathons, I realized that if I could push myself to take steps forward toward each finish line, I could also pull myself out of the hole I felt I was falling into.

Every time I crossed the finish line was a reminder to myself that I had the strength and endurance to overcome the struggles of real life. And if my blood sugars held up throughout, it made the run that much sweeter.

1 Like

Good article, but the same can be applied to T2 runners.
I have been running for 35+ years, I find it is the center of my well being.

although now at age 73, I would qualify it is moving faster, not so much running. ))

1 Like

I would just like to put in a plug here for inline skating. I tried all the outdoor exercises, Running, cycling, swimming, tennis, etc., but inline skating was the only exercise that I really enjoyed and could stick with decade after decade and gave me great BG control. Until age 65, I somewhat over did it training 20 miles a day during the week and 50 miles a day on weekends rain or shine for a total 200 miles a week and participated in marathon inline races around the world.

At 65 I gave up the racing scene and tapered back and once I turned 70 scaled back some more to go out for a 25 mile skate on any weekend and/or holiday the weather is at least OK and it is not too cold.

My skating is mostly all on rail trails and over the years, I have seen numerous individuals go from running to cycling when their joints started to hurt and finally to inline skating when cycling took a toll on their body. In the past few years in the Northeast inline skating is nowhere near as popular as it was in the past few decades and that is really a shame, especially for diabetics.

Inline skating is an activity that can be done pretty much for life, is very easy on the body and does an amazing job at helping control blood sugar. It is not generally, for whatever reason, a recommended sport for diabetics which is too bad because not only is it great exercise, fun and very helpful in BG control but as we get older balance becomes more of an issue and inline skating done properly is mostly about balance.

Next time you are on a trail and cross a jogger or inline skater, see which has the bigger grin on their face and my bet is it will be the skater.

I am not knocking running or any other sport here, just using this opportunity to bring awareness to another awesome form of exercise that tends to be totally neglected.

2 Likes