Morning b/s levels up?

I have been a type 2 for the past 12 years. I went to my endo yesterday and My A1C went from a 7.1 to a 7.9 YIKES
He was not happy, neither was I. I only take oral meds and He said your levels are up according to my meter so he increased 1 small pill. He said that my body produces more insulin when I sleep. My numbers are about 150-180 in the am. My Dr also said that if those numbers dont come down I will have to put you on injections!!
No I dont want to do that. I am scared that it will come to that.. Help what can I do.. I guess better eating habits?,I walk 2 to 3 miles a day at work.. I am not over weight Just age 52!!!
Thanks for listening,
Larry

Hi Larry, I think you have answered your own question. If you think better eating habits will help then they probally will. I suggest you get a copy of Dr Bernstein's book "The Total Diabetes Solution" it will show you how your food effects you diabetes and it's about so much more than diet.

About injections for T2 they are no piece of cake but they are not the end of the world. I gladly take my multiple injections of insulin so I don't run the high bg level I once did.

Gary S

Hey Gary your right,, Thanks I will take a look at that book.

I have to tell you, like Gary, I found a low carb diet made a huge difference. The diabetic diet I was just did poorly in controlling my blood sugars.

I think many people fear insulin. Some can't imagine doing injections. Some think of it as a failure. But insulin isn't what you should fear. You should fear high blood sugars. I'm sure in your heart, you already know this. So I would urge to just devote yourself to taking care of yourself, no matter what it entails. Since I started insulin nearly 2 years ago I've had much better control and feel a lot happier.

In either case, many of us would be happy to help you improve your diet and look at other things to get better control.

ps. Morning highs (Dawn Phenomenon) is caused by a rise in hormones (like cortisol). Usually normal insulin levels keep these hormones levels in range, but your body also "clears" insulin overnight resulting in an insulin deficiency. Hence morning highs.

I am going to try a low carb diet. The meds I am taking I have seen a difference over this past weekend. I would never get really high b/s 180. Thank you for those words of encourgement and helping me understand this dreadful diabetes. Just when you think you get a handle on this it throws you for a loop.
Thanks,
Larry

I agree with what Brian said taking insulin. Insulin use is not a failure, insulin is another weapon for winning. Sometimes when the enemy is strong you have to bring out the big guns. Insulin use is something to try to avoid but not at all cost. You wouldn't want to avoid it for so long that you make things worse.

But all this talk about insulin is premature. My guess is you have a way to go before you get there, if ever. It's a common ploy among doctors to mention insulin injections to scare and motivate their patients. You seem to be well motivated. Way to go.

Gary S

All excellent comments and I add:

After 30 years, I am on insulin and find it more preferrable, flexible and better and easier to use rather than the glyburide/starlix pill stuff. wish I had gone to insulin then.

With the pills, they drive what you eat or else have lows. On insulin, one can carefully add only that you need and control diet carefully.

Regarding Dawn effect, adding insulin may not be sufficient and for me metformin is the wonderdrug stopping excess liver glucose release. Liver may not be properly listening to insulin or ignoring it.

Check BG at midnight, and at 3:00 am and 8:00 am. Liver usually starts hamering system around 3:00 am and mine shot up to 150 and by 8:00 am 248.

If at midnight BG is above 150, usually that indicates one was snacking late and the issue is food and diet issues usually.

attachments added:

2547-OldDiabetesDrugTeachesExpertsNewTricks.doc (41 KB) 2548-Salk_metformin_data.doc (31.5 KB)

I'm also T2 on oral meds. I found that the standard (ADA) diet would not help me maintain target numbers. The Bernstein approach, super lo carb, seemed too drastic for me. I have found a happy medium between the two. Most of my meals now top out at 30g carbs. (I exercise daily as well.) With my low-er carb approach, I'm sitting pretty with a 6.1 A1C.

My response is - start with a low carb diet and add carbs as necessary to compenate out excess/extra liver activity. People with good livers and on sub - 70 do not overload the blood glucose above 120, then you too can go full low carbs.

Carefully adding sufficient carbs can reduce going sub 70 frequently and keep liver in barn so that in end blood BG runs more smoothly without too much liver glucose add and spikes.

It sounds like you have issue wired well. Best wishes. So often many of the approaches suggested overlook the medical shortcommings of a particular body and steps needed to work around rather than - here is this diet and follow it religiously.

Thank Jim, I will try that

Deborah,
Thnak you for your reply, Sometimes it does get overwheling at times and It is nice to hear other opuinions
Have a good one
Larry

If you've been over 7 a1c for 12 years, your disease is probably progressing. My understanding is that the closer you stay to normal (WELL under 7) the slower it progresses. So best to do whatever you have to do to get it down. Actually what your body produces at night is not insulin, but glucose, which accounts for the high numbers in the morning. I always had this problem until I recently went on Victoza, which is, yes, an injectible once a day, but I'm thrilled to have it to inject and wake up lower than I have ever been since I was diagnosed (that is, "normal" numbers close to or under 100). But yes, low-carb eating and regular exercise help also.

Excellent advice.

Once I got my daily ( 24 hour) a1c to 6.9 daily average 155 Bg, body started to heal. My goal is to keep lower to 6.4 and under but I believe your comments are sound and my eye, kidney lab teats and body health seem to support that view.

Best wishes

Thanks for such great advice Ellie.

Thank You Jim for ur advise