Morning sugar

Hello, I've got problem with after breakfast BG. I usually get up at 7 A.M. with 4,5-6 mmol/l than I eat 50 grams of carbs and bolus 7.4 I.U.. That if I do something (I go to school or go for a walk) my BG after breakfast is great, but if I just study or watch some movies that I got 2 hours after breakfast high BG (11 mmol/l etc.). Is that normal ? What should I do ? Now I study university so it is hard to go somewhere every morning to hold my BG in normal range especially if I need study before the tests. Thank you for your advice.

How about you just drop the breakfast carbs, egg beaters or fish and some veggies say 20g of carbs maximum for breakfast?

i agree with buckley, i have to drop my usual 1:30 insulin to carb ratio by about 4 carbs if i sit around. if you want to keep going for your walks without losing out on study time you could read your notes into your mp3 and then listen to them on your morning walk. iused to do that so i could get my runs and revision done at once.

I do best if I get up, take my insulin, eat, and do some exercise.

A pretty regular part of my morning is either to walk a few miles on my trip to work (weekdays), or to walk the dog (weekends).

It's not impossible to account for the missing exercise, with some extra insulin, but it's kind of the "package deal" (food, insulin, exercise) that all has to be present for everything to work best.

Basically you need the physical activity. In my opinion this means that your I:C in the morning is not correct. With the right I:C you could be passive and the outcome would be normal. Combined with activity this would lead to a low of course. So for active days you use your TBR (temporary basal rate) to lower your basal rate to prevent that.

Thank you very much I am happy that I am not the only one with this trouble :) I don't want to increase my Insulin intake. Do you think that 30 min run in the morning before breakfast could fix that ?

We all have different I:C ratios and if yours is leaving you continually high after breakfast (without exercise to compensate) than it's not enough insulin. I would try increasing that ratio by a point and see how you do a couple mornings. Also 50 grams of carbs is a lot for breakfast; I couldn't handle it and come out anywhere normal. You might try some combination of eggs and vegies and if you eat them bacon or sausage. Even one slice of toast would be way less than that. If you are eating cereal for breakfast, for many of us that is a food that's impossible to accurately bolus for.

I just finished reading "Think Like a Pancreas" and he went into great detail about this issue. I guess the question is, how often are you having these inactive days? If only once in a while, then I would suggest doing a lower ratio at breakfast or temp basal on these days to compensate. If everything seems to be working for the most part, then you don't need major changes, just a little tweaking on the days where you're noticing a problem!

We're all different, but 50 carbs at breakfast would send me into the stratosphere.

On the passive days you need more insulin as the numbers do indicate. Why not inject it right from the start if you otherwise have to correct later? Is it fear from lows or weight gain that makes you think in that direction? Or did you have negative experiences with TBR adjustements for active days?

So you think I have got too much crabs per day ? I usually eat 50 grams carbs on breakfast 30 grams as a snack (banana and yoghurt), again 50 grams per lunch, 30 grams as a second snack and 50 grams on my dinner and sometimes I eat apple or banana (20 grams carbs) if I study hard to the night.

How do you usually eat ? Thankx

This is likely to set off a very lively debate.

There are some (like me) who swear by a low carb diet. There are others who strongly disagree. I think the truth is that since each of us is different, what works best for each of us is likely to be different as well. I know for a fact that my diabetes behaves in certain ways, and others', differently.

What works for ME is to stick with a low carb diet as recommended by Bernstein and others. That was a key factor in bringing my A1c down below 6 for the first time in 15 years or longer.

We are definitely all different, carabeli and the question is what works for you. Some people on here eat Bernstein low carb (30 per day), others don't limit carbs that much, many of us are in between. The question is what works for you. I'm not a Bernstein follower but I do like his "law of small numbers" - the idea that the more carbs we eat the more insulin we need, the bigger is our margin for error.

Breakfast for many of us is when we're most carb sensitive and so when we tend to eat less, not more carbs. Plus breakfast is easier to keep low carb by eating eggs, cheese, vegies and breakfast meats.

The bottom line is what works for you: What amount of carbs can you eat and still have a reliable in target blood sugar two hours after eating?

Just curious why you have so many snacks. Is it because you're hungry or because someone told you that is how you should eat? That is an old way of eating based on the older types of insulin. It isn't necessary to snack now unless, of course, you're hungry.

For me, even if I could accurately bolus for higher carb meals and keep my blood sugar in target (a big if!) I wouldn't want to increase carbs and increase insulin. I gain weight very easily and with weight gain can come insulin resistance which makes life much more complicated. So I try to keep my insulin doses down, using just what I need to stay in target. Limiting carbs helps that. We all make different choices; there is no one right way.

You have gotten good advice. Frankly, with your A1c of 4.8% after 15 years with diabetes, you must be doing something right.

I avoid carbs completely at breakfast most days - I eat just protein/fat, i.e. eggs and sausage or bacon, and/or low carb vegetables. That's just because I am particularly carb sensitive (insulin resistant) at breakfast. My total carb/day is about 130. Not low carb but not high either.

But as Brian says, whatever you are doing seems to work for you!

Yeah, I usually have nice BG, but now during exam time (on university) I spent mornings at home studying and this is something new for me. Maybe I will try low carb breakfast too :) if you eat just eggs on breakfast do you bolus it ? And how much ?

You got it ! If I bolus in the morning more insulin I usually go low during luch time.

You'll just have to try the experiment and see. As others on here will tell you, fat and protein can affect BG too, just not as much and on a longer time scale. Sometimes I can get away without a bolus. Some people say bolus for 58% of the protein grams.

Do you know your insulin carb ratio, carabeli? If not, figure it out by trial and error so you can bolus for whatever foods you eat. Many of us have different ratios for different meals, needing the most insulin at breakfast.I generally don't worry about bolusing for protein (it works out the same if you determine your I:C ratio with or without it. The only exception for me is if I go very low carb, then I need to add a couple carbs to the count. For example, some weekday mornings I eat eggs with chiles, onions and tomatoes plus a serving of vegie sausage. That comes to 10 and that is what I bolus for according to my I:C ratio which is 1:6 for breakfast. But if I skip the sausage and make an omelet, technically it's only 4 carbs (vegies) but I bolus for 6.

curious, do you bolus for your no carb brekkie?