Nasal Glucagon, will you use this? I will

I think you mean glucose gel?

And how many people use allergy nasal sprays every single day? Enough that they are now available over the counter. I squirt steroid spray up my nose twice a day every day so I’m not constantly stuffed up. It’s clearly less unpleasant than being constantly stuffed up, otherwise I wouldn’t do it. It doesn’t hurt and I certainly wouldn’t describe it as unpleasant. It’s no more “unpleasant” than brushing your teeth.

2 Likes

deleetd

deletredc

My point wasn’t to compare them as treatments, only to point out that nasal sprays are not uncomfortable to use.

You can’t eat when you’re unconscious, which is mainly when these would be used.

For me, it’s worth paying $100 every year or two (the expiration dates are usually a year and a half to two years out) to keep glucagon on hand. Though for me it’s covered 100%. Even if I did have to pay full price, it’s 1-2 cents a day, which is far less than I pay on other types of insurance for just-in-case need. And certainly far, far, far cheaper than my CGM, which I do pay full cost for.

deleted.

I pointed it out because you said:

Glucagon is not meant to replace eating. It’s meant for when eating or drinking, for whatever reason, fails.

Lots of things can cause an inability to eat or drink. Being unconscious is one, but having the flu or food poisoning is another, or in my case I have been in this situation several times due to other chronic illnesses I live with. I’d actually be out of luck if I was unconscious, since I live alone.

I don’t typically refill glucagon every year, although my endocrinologist renews the prescription every year because otherwise it expires and I’m unable to get one if I need one. I refill when the old kit expires, which is usually a year and a half to two years out from its purchase date.

deleted

Why would you object to it? People without diabetes produce glucagon every day just like insulin. Not in huge doses, usually, but in tiny amounts.

Mini-dosing glucagon is not new nor some far-out unapproved technique. It has been recommended by many hospitals (at least here in Canada) for decades and documented in medical journals as a useful technique for treating or even preventing lows. A closed-loop system will not truly be a “artificial pancreas” until it delivers both insulin and glucagon.

So I agree with them. I look forward to the day that these tools are available. I also look forward to alternatives to the current glucagon kits for emergencies. All of this progress is welcome if it will help people tighten glucose control while reducing the risk of severe hypoglycaemia.

3 Likes

deleted

Yes, I think we will have to agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

Though I suspect a lot of our disagreemet is that we’re coming from totally opposite perspectives. Since I’m in Canada, healthcare cost is not a huge concern to me. We do have to pay for some things, and I’m OK with that. Hopefully in future no one will have to pay to make up for a defective bodily function.

And I’m not sure how old you are, but I’m in my 30s and if luck is with me, I’ll have diabetes for another 50 years or longer. I expect to see closed-loop technology as the norm in pumping within the next ten years, and if I’m wrong on that, certainly the next 50. I also don’t expect closed-loop systems to be a cure, but if they can manage control as well as I can (A1c of 6.0% - 6.5%) with less effort and more safety, I’m all for that!

5 Likes

It is a bit arrogant to say you object to something a diabetic wants to do. Fortunately I don’t need your approval.

I don’t object to anything anyone wants to do for themselves in trying to better their control.

Everyone should figure out what works best for them. There are many different solutions, and we are all unique in what we need.

5 Likes

HEAR HEAR!!!
Totally agree with you.

1 Like

I personally like the idea that glucagon will make my body use stored glucose rather than me have to eat MORE.
It is a viscous cycle that this might be able to help ‘curb’.
I definitely like the idea of having this version being available for nasal usage. My wife does not like needles, and even though I told her how to use the glucagon kit we have, I know she would be FAR more comfortable using a simple nasal spray application.

deleted.

deleted.

Ok back to this being a possible treatment option for many. I must say, my parents would have been all of this on. This is something that anyone can use to help someone. There is no mixing, no injection and the person doesn’t have to inhale. It’s just a spray that goes into the nose and it’s absorbed. Just think of those panicked parents not having to go through the nightmare of mixing and trying to get the needle into their child. This is kind of a no brainer to me.
And I will be someone getting in line for a pen that I can use for mini dosing.

4 Likes

I’m all for new D treatment options available to diabetics and/or those in our lives that can help us stay alive in an Emergency.

The decision how to treat Diabetes is up to each of us and no one else. If alternative treatments aren’t developed we won’t know what works best for us.

2 Likes