Need to vent about this endo

Thank you!! I definitely agree. It can be intimidating, but I’m trying to move my mindset to think; I am paying them and not searching for someone who sees me as their right/perfect patient, but seeing them as my right doctor! They are on trial to see if they are a good fit for me, not the other way around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been a having a heck of a time finding someone even in the ‘big city,’ lol. I just scheduled with someone new and guess how long the wait is? 6 months! Hopefully he’s ok!

2 Likes

Would send you a private message but your profile is locked.

I can’t live without some kind of potatoes and I alternate with some sweet potatoes. There are many different kinds also.
I can do without corn though :joy:
U are doing a good job but it is hard to pay for assistance because so many take advantage or blame the patient

1 Like

When I lost my insurance I was given a coupon and it helped me pay for the 14 day freestyle libre sensor. I’ve tried other devices and they were to expensive for me.
It really helps me manage especially when I don’t realize or not paying enough attention,more medication
Whatever is affecting- I like that the sensors give me a chance to have some freedom and peace of mind. I get to relax a little.

I recently saw an email from the company they now have. 14 day with some kind of alerts or alarms. I haven’t asked my doctor yet but they probably are more expensive right now they are new.

1 Like

Thank u For Sharing the experience.
I’m not alone :flushed: it’s helpful to hear other people even if it’s not exact same diagnosis. So many health issues have similar symptoms and we can help each other with ideas and support.

I’ve explained it to my husband that it’s like validation,understanding,empathy.

1 Like

me? I’m not sure how to unlock it?

good luck with your new doc!!

1 Like

I’m glad to have a lot of people here who understand!! it really helped me get over the bad day yesterday :slight_smile: I heard from my insurance and they won’t cover a dexcom. I would have to jump through lots of hoops and still might not get covered. If I do get pregnant then I’ll look into it again, but right now it’s not worth my stress when I’m doing fine without one. I would like one if I get pregnant, but I’ll let my doctor handle it then!

1 Like

That’s why I got the freestyle libre sensor also it’s cheaper.

If you plan of having a baby blood sugar does affect the baby before birth.

@mohe0001, Would send you a private message but you will not accept one.

1 Like

That’s why we have waited 8 years. I wanted to make sure I knew all of the ins and outs before even thinking about children. I definitely don’t want to take chances! I’ll be looking into the libre as well, but regardless, I test 8-10 times a day if not more, I will do my best with what I have. I’ve had some share their successful T1D pregnancy stories on MDI and using a BG meter, so I have faith. I like focusing on the positive, because if I don’t I’ll stress too much which won’t be good for either!

1 Like

Just find another doctor is my advice - ditto. You need this guy like a hole in the head. Unless you are out in the boonies and your insurance doesn’t cover anyone else, find someone who is on your wavelength. It sounds like you have EXCELLENT control.

1 Like

It is a lot to deal with isn’t it? Unbelievable stories we have to tell :flushed: I am glad you told her to stop doing that :joy_cat: :flushed:

My digestion is much better now but I have ibs and bad gerds so it is a lifelong thing I have to live with and no one has helped me much with that really. Add diabetes and you have a real mess. I would give anything to go back to just ibs etc an my other health conditions. Diabetes is the absolute worst.

At that time I had lost a lot of weight but was not at an unhealthy weight, but I have figured out a few things from it all, being too thin is very bad for my bg control. My bg was crashing every time I ate, I was terrified to eat and eating less and less carbs to try to manage it. But too little carbs is very bad and can put me into dka, so can just dehydration.

I ended up in hospital close to dka… I don’t know what happened, it was probably a combo of things. I had some runs on and off for a few days, it was very hot…I woke up with 100 bg, went back to sleep and woke up an hour later with 350 going up and high ketones and extreme nausea. I was in for 24 hrs on fluids. Dka was setting in.

Now I need ac all the time in the heat and I drink water constantly. In the past I drank a lot of juice but I can’t really do that the way I used to now with the diabetes although with all the lows I am sipping juice frequently too LOL. For a long time now I had switched to lower sugar juice but recently I need the higher sugar juice for the lows but I drink less. I found these great bottles of apple eve which have 33 g which I can open and close. No spilling or going bad like the high sugar juice paks. My cde said do not drink pure apple juice for a low though, because the pectin can slow your response. I usually drink fruit punch or berry mixes which have a mix. But my fav is juicy juice organic splashers fruit punch which nearly impossible to get now.

After that I started separating and sterilizing all the dishes for gluten, I had already stopped gluten at type 1 diagnosis. And I eliminated all grains. I don’t eat any starchy veggies, beans, potatoes etc. I have always reacted to corn so rarely ate it. I started to gain weight back and things stabilized.

I eat more carbs now but they come from fruit, low carb veggies and grain free foods I have found. I really had stopped all the starchy high carb stuff long before that anyway because they wreak havoc with bg but I found more grain free lower carb foods that worked well for me.

It is not perfect by any means, it is what it is, which is still a lot to deal with and a nightmare a lot of the time but things have improved.

If I were you I would think about using this doc to get dex coverage too. Endos are good at that. My endo gets me everything I need most of the time, his office is great at managing things. You don’t want to wait until a pregnancy probably because you could have more stress trying to do it then and then you will just have it all of the time anyway to help you. Also it may help bg leading up to that, as will taking care of your thyroid issues. A cde would help a lot too, I hope you can get a good one.

I resisted getting a dexcom again but I was having terrible lows and endo insisted. The first one I asked for, it was so bad I sent it back. Long story short he wanted me on it again due to the lows and now I can’t live without it. I have to switch to g6 now which I am dreading.

lantus and levemir were both terrible for me. I will never do mdi again unless it is an emergency. I never want a long acting again with all my issues. My endo wanted me to try the new ones because they were pushing them I said no,

I will never give up being able to really control my basal and the bolus too really. My tslim does smaller boluses and basal. I can do increased basal and shut off when I am low and dropping which has saved me so many times. I feel so much safer. It is a lifesaver too for me.

Sorry you are not as stable as I thought but it is what it is, and you are managing well, that is great tresiba has stabilized you a lot more as well as all your hard work. Not going below 70 too much is great really! I also react to stress, usually I go low but sometimes high. But overall you are doing an amazing job!

I would still be open to this doctor helping you even though it was nit a great visit etc … You could still get some help from him which would be to start the thyroid medicine and or get the Dexcom. he was nosy and everything but ultimately I think he does want to help you so why not get whatever help you can out of it even if you don’t continue on as a patient with him.

Right now an issue is I am gaining more weight, it is partly age, and eating more. For a long time I only ate two meals to control bg, but then I could not stand the starvation and I added in another one. And recently I had Covid pneumonia and I had to eat more etc. to help my terrible back pain and to stop my blood sugar crashing all of the time. Oh well I guess I am not gonna figure out a solution to this one, I cannot stand that feeling of starving all of the time anymore that I’ve had ever since I’ve been on insulin. And my pain still gets worse if I don’t eat enough too.

I am glad you are getting great advice and support😊

2 Likes

I’ve started screening Endos by asking whether they are amenable to Time In Range as treatment criteria/goal. So far the answer has been yes. If the answer is ever no or sort of, then I don’t need to see that Endo. I think it lays down upfront that I won’t accept HbA1C and counting hypo episodes (without regard to duration or severity) as treatment criteria. Instead of never, TIR has targets to stay below for hypo episodes. Search for International Consensus on Time in Range article(s). ADA may have come something supporting time in range.

The control you described sounds like Flat Narrow In Range (FNIR). So that might be something else if you need to push back and Endo.

HOpe you are successful in finding a good Endo.

4 Likes

The larger diabetes treatment centers such as Joslin in Boston have finally come to the realization that a CGM hypo incident is not necessarily a valid hypo due to the inaccuracies in the Dexcom algorithm when BG’s drop below 80 mg/dl. The Dexcom may say you are 55 or under when it can be anything from a “compression low” to an algorithm issue and in effect you my fully be in your normal rage if you often run between 70 and 80.

5 Likes

I can show less than 3% below 65 and less than 1% below 55, so I don’t get questioned or lectured about hypos anymore. Before Dexcom CGM and TIR, all hypos were horrible and hyper episodes were never discussed or of interest. The latter is part of how I ended up with peripheral neuropathy and retinopathy in spite of HbA1Cs at 6.2 and below.

4 Likes

I am T2 age 76. My biggest low is 49. Doctors fear some people might pass out/ or die below 50; esp. 20s, 30s. Your a1c are better than most, but means less with too many lows. ( perhaps next time see dr. For your one purpose, hand it in writing first minute?) :mask:

1 Like

First, your A1C is excellent, as is your control. That Endo is full of %&*#, and I personally would post a review online that simply warns others of his unrealistic expectations. You know your body, and you are doing a good job of leading a “normal” life.

Secondly, I am one of those T1 diabetics who, without a CGM, on MDI, and using just a glucose meter and test strips, was able to deliver two beautiful daughters. Why didn’t I use a CGM? Because they did not exist back in the late 1970’s when my first daughter was born! And I was not on a pump because they also were fairly “new” and I could not afford one.

The pregnancies were not normal just because of my diabetes. I actually delivered my first daughter early because HER pancreas was starting to react to my blood sugar! So my advice is to find an OB/GYN who specializes in high-risk pregnancies. He or she can make a great difference, and can help both you and a baby remaining healthy throughout the pregnancy.

But do not let T1 stop you from having a baby. When I asked a genetic counselor when I should conceive, he said, “Last year. The longer you are diabetic, the harder a pregnancy may be.” So I was lucky that I conceived my first child soon after that. As I mentioned, I have two beautiful, intelligent, wonderful daughters. One is a computer systems analyst and one works in the corporate office of a large bank. Both have given me great joy.

So go for it. We only go around once in life, and you sound like you can handle anything that you will face in the future. We are with you, so know you have a whole list of people who have your back. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve experienced all of that!! I’ve had digestive issues too (which have thankfully cleared up because I figured out my food triggers), but it was a hectic time for me too, a few years back. I was to the point of going and getting lots of tests done because I had so many problems, but thankfully was able to figure it out. I changed my diet, and now I’m gluten free after getting my Hashimoto’s dx. For me personally, I feel like gluten was causing a flammatory response in my joints; initially I did it for my thyroid, but anytime I eat it I just feel crappy so I’m good without.

And that’s my plan! Definitely getting this endo’s tests done, and since I know what he wanted to do as far as watching my thyroid, I’m going to take that plan to my GP. I know insurance covers extensive thyroid bloodwork so there is no reason she can’t check it more often like he would. If I feel like she’s not thorough enough I’ll go back or find a new endo. There are a couple more choices in my area that I could at least try.

And how bad was your COVID illness?? Are you talking about COVID 19? I’m trying not to worry about that as much as possible, even though it scares me. I also have asthma though, so I’m just staying home as much as possible. I hope you can fully recover and gain the weight you need to! I eat just 3 meals a day, and skip lunch really. I eat a late breakfast, eat dinner, then a small meal with my night time Tresiba shot; helps my BG level better. My endo told me not to do that but it works for me so I’m not listening lol I hope you can find something that works so you don’t feel so bad! Digestive issues with T1 freaking sucks. It makes controlling BG so much harder. And thanks for being part of that support! :slight_smile: