Neuropathy complications? what can help?

Neuropathy can heal, the key is getting better control. At diagnosis my A1c was 13.1, I experienced the burning pain and numbness. By getting my A1c down to 5.9 the burning pain slowly disappeared. Some numbness remains but I can deal with that. I still have hope the numbness will go away eventually. At one point it extended up to my thighs but it is now confined to my feet. I have feeling in my feet, just not as much as before this all started.

I take R-ALA, evening primrose oil, and benfotiamin ( a fat soluble form of vitamin B1) and they have helped my neuropathy. The R-ALA and benfotiamin have been studied in Europe and both are used for neuropathy there. Getting better control of my blood glucose was probably key. Here's a recent discussion about this. Here's another link that references a study that says it may take 2 - 3 years for your nerves to heal, and explains what is going on that causes the condition.

Short term, pain management may be your best option, but there are other options that can help in the medium/long term. The key to lowering my A1c was restricting quantity of carbs and types of carbs, so that my blood sugar almost never goes above 140 (7.8). Many believe that 140 (7.8) is the threshold where damage starts to occur. If you are interested in exploring this approach I would recommend the bloodsugar101 website. This site will teach you to "eat to your meter", an approach that is particularly effective for T2's.