Never say "impossible"

That is great. I can get that occasionally but then for no apparent reason I bounce all over. I really like the CGM but often when my glucose is rising or falling the CGM does not keep up so when it tells me I am low, I am really low.

I did it again yesterday! Brushed the bottom line (which is actually set a bit lower than in the photo in the OP), but my lowest reading of the day was 3.8 (68) and highest was 7.3 (131).

Another day of awesome readings

Yesterday I pre-bolused for everything, exercised (just walking, nothing intense), had steel cut oats and fruit and eggs for breakfast (30 carbs), some chocolate and popcorn for lunch (about 25 carbs), and quinoa, kale, corn, and veggies and dip for dinner (40 carbs).

I saw my endo yesterday and for the first time in my life he not only had no complaints, but said my CGM graphs were some of the better ones he'd seen and kept saying, "You probably know this already, but here's a bit of info..." and at the end of the appointment offered to switch from three months to six months between appointments (still getting an A1c every three months). I was so happy!!! I haven't gotten my A1c yet, but my endo thinks it'll be in the mid-6s.

Way to go, Jen! That's a beautiful line. Looks like the CGM was made for you. Keep up the good work.

Fantastic Jen!!! I had some nice graphs too after some bad days this week, it always feels good :-)

It does! Today is looking like it might be two in a row!!! This morning I headed off a major low - saw that I was dropping slowly from 6.1 (110) and I had 2.7 units of insulin on board so ate 22 grams of carbs. I dropped, had one reading touch 3.9 (70), but then came right back up to about 5.1 (92). A couple hours later I was drifting a bit lower again (walking around shopping) and ate a 4 gram piece of chocolate and stayed completely flat intsead of dropping. I am really learning about how things influence my blood sugar and would never have been able to figure this stuff out without the Dexcom. I showed my mom the graph where I'd been hovering at 4.5 (81) for hours and told her I'd never have felt comfortable doing that before while walking around shopping - I'd have eaten something to bump my blood sugar up a bit. The same is true of overnight, I used to eat something if my blood sugar was lower than 6.0 (108) and now I will go an entire night hovering in the 4s.

Wow, Jen, great to hear it!

That's the beauty of the CGM. You can make small, just-in-time, tactical adjustments to stay flat. AR calls these moves "nudges."

One tactic that I'm using more these days is the temp bolus. In the situation you gave as an example a down-trend and IOB, you could have turned your basal rate off (minus 100%) if you had enough forewarning. The 4-gram piece of chocolate does sound like more fun,though!

Spending a night hovering in the 4's makes for restful sleep. Good for you!

Yeah, I do want to work on eating fewer carbs to correct upwards. I've been experimenting with temp basals for exercise and for times I'm running low for an extended period of time, but haven't gone much beyond that. Since basal rate changes take 1-2 hours to fully kick in, I'm not sure how good they would be for averting lows - I usually only have about 15 minute warnings for the two or three I've averted so far. I also want to start experimenting with how to resolve highs faster. When I go high (either from food or hormones) I end up staying high for hours and often days, and I think if I could minimize that it would have an amazingly positive impact on my A1c. I am still too paranoid about piling on massive amounts of insulin to bring highs down, but I think I need to get more aggressive with a high when it's not coming down, since the CGM will warn me if I start to fall rapidly.

Fantastic Jen - I had an almost "no hitter" the other day as well. Just a couple brushes with 70 but the day actually included a tennis practice and a couple of walks with Cosmo so over all I can't complain. Keep up the good work. It's great to see the progress.

That's great! Dex is the best for seeing what is going on in those situations and with the pump I can just shut basal off which is even better for me. I'm still getting used to it and I don't always do the right thing, but knowing I can do that is a relief. I sometimes can just go to 0% and not treat but sometimes I have to treat as well as 0%.

Jen - I've adopted intra-muscular corrections to good effect. It's an idea I picked up here. It takes about one half the time as a subcutaneous correction. Just a thought.

Clare - Nice line. The 24-hour display always look bumpier than it really is. Nice work with the exercise challenge thrown in!

That is fantastic! Things for me are getting better every day - I'm learning to avert highs and lows before they even happen by watching closely and being aggressive with insulin (never did that before!). Learning what works with bolusing for foods and what doesn't (and what foods don't work!). Learning how to compensate for exercise - something I was never able to figure out before. Learning how to keep my blood sugars perfectly flat overnight - something else I was never able to do. Every day I feel like posting or texting friends saying how amazing the Dexcom is, but I know they'd get sick of it. I wish this had come to Canada ten years ago!!!

I've stopped counting (!!), but this was yesterday. I'm getting my A1c on Saturday. I'm pretty sure it might be lower than it's been in a LONG time (and not due to too many lows, either!). I feel like in another three months I'll have a shot at having an A1c lower than I've ever had in my life.

Another no-hitter day

Learning how to keep my blood sugars perfectly flat overnight - something else I was never able to do.

That's a biggie. Good nights often become good days. Night-time makes up 1/3 of the day, so everything's better with good overnight numbers. I remember when your top line was 10!

Whoo hoo go Jen! It is a great tool, wish all docs at least had them to loan out for their patients who can’t get one.