New research of potential interest to amylin/symlin users

While I do not use amylin/symlin myself, I received this research announcement of work being done at Stanford University in allowing insulin and amylin to be stored in the same vial:

This summary includes a link to the actual paper that was published.

A couple of disclaimers:

A lot of university research announcements seem to hint that commercialization is right around the corner. Many research announcements never reach commercialization and even if they do, that may be 7-15 years downstream.

Note: I received this because I used to work at Stanford (I’m happily retired now …). However, I have zero association with any of these people or departments and didn’t work on anything remotely like this … I was an electronic chip fabrication guy … so I’m not trying to promote or endorse this research in any way other than thinking that the amylin/symlin community might find it interesting.

Stay safe!

John

4 Likes

Hmmm…I always thought dual hormone system would involve glucagon. Maybe this is much better. Simpler.

@mohe0001:

While I’m no biochemist, I’m not sure that amylin and glucagon are an either/or. In my simple view, amylin helps insulin to be more effective, whereas glucagon is sort of the “anti-insulin” in the same way that an air conditioner is an “anti-furnace”. My guess is that the folks working on dual insulin and glucagon pumps will not slow their efforts in the least …

I expect that we will all have an exciting new range of options in the coming years.

Stay safe!

John

1 Like

There are a host of hormones missing from our pure replacement insulin. A very important one is c-peptide which protects small blood vessels from damage in those with diabetes… eyes, kidneys, etc.

1 Like

That sounds right, John. I didn’t know there were so many valuable hormones, Willow. Endocrinology is pretty interesting witchcraft. Its probobly the most interesting of all the disciplines.

1 Like

One of the effects of amylin is that is subdues the the release of glucogon. More importantly, it slows down the digestIve process and adds to satiety.

Prior to going on the 670 G system, I injected Symlin prior to my evening meal and noticed that it reduced my post meal high, lowered my total daily use of insulin, and allowed me to loose 20 pounds.

If the combined drug was approved for use in my pump, I would definitely like to try it.

2 Likes

I am a past Symlin user too, but with all three meals. It worked like a charm. I’d be very interested in a product which combines insulin and amylin in one.

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments. @Willow, I’ve only had one C-peptide test a few years back when I had to “prove” to Medicare that I was T1D so they would approve and pay for my pump. I only thought naively that it was some sort of indicator and didn’t appreciate it’s importance.

Thank you all … and stay safe.

John

2 Likes

All type 1 have low or missing Cpeptide because Cpeptide comes from insulin production. However amylase and lipase are created by different cells. My levels are normal so I wouldn’t even meet the requirements for that study, but I know many type 1s are low for amylase and benefit from the drugs. I haven’t had my levels checked in a while maybe I’ll ask my doc just to keep an eye on it.