New research on diabetic diets

I just read this interesting blog by Professor Tim Noakes. I will let you make your own mind up. It is very interesting to gather and learn new information about Diabetes.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/2012/02/05/sorry-but-carbo-is-really-a-no-no

Sorry, but carbo is really a no-no
BIÈNNE HUISMAN | 05 February, 2012 01:15

Professor Tim Noakes and a plate of the food he now recommends

Sports science expert Professor Tim Noakes has caused a stir in health circles by refuting his own nutritional advice, widely espoused as athletics gospel.

In an about-turn, Noakes is blaming food containing carbohydrates for the rise in obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

The sports physician, affiliated to the University of Cape Town and the Sports Science Institute of South Africa, won worldwide acclaim for his book Lore of Running, described as the "Runner's Bible" and first published in 2003.

Parts of the book, which advocates the benefits of "carbo-loading" and a high-carbohydrate diet, will now be rewritten.

"I used to say 'carbo-load every day, as much as you can'. Yes, this is a turnaround. Absolutely," he said, smiling.

The 62-year-old turned conventional feeding wisdom on its head with claims that fruit juice contained "hidden dangers" and that cereal was one of the worst things parents could feed their children.

That is if you are carbohydrate-resistant, a condition many people suffer from unknowingly, said Noakes.

He said he would like to change the world - one meal at a time.

"The people who have tried everything to lose weight, but cannot, are more than likely carbohydrate-resistant."

Noakes himself tested positive for carbohydrate resistance a year ago. The condition derives from defective insulin in the body. "Some people, like me, are carb-resistant. We cannot metabolise carbs, so it is changed into fat and can lead to obesity and diabetes if one does not change to a low-carbohydrate diet.

Noakes lost 15kg since adopting a new diet a year ago. Now his meals are high in protein and fat.

He said his new anti-carbohydrate arguments were based on theories put forward by Gary Taubes in Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It.

"The results have been incredible. One of my patients lost 30kg over three months."

But local food health expert Dr Harris Steinman said dieticians had some concerns, including whether the revised diet was applicable to everyone.

Article from Times Live

We cannot metabolise carbs, so it is changed into fat and can lead to obesity and diabetes if one does not change to a low-carbohydrate diet.

Carbohydrates if not needed immediatly and/or eaten in excess ARE metabolised into fat, that's normal.

It seems a too simple view of things to me, he doesn't add anything new to my knowledge.

I think the insight that most needs publicizing is that our metabolisms reaction to carbs varies from individual to individual. For some carb loading won't do any harm, if there is demand for the energy they contain, for others it leads to accumulation of fat because the carbs cannot be metabolized due to insulin resistance.

Swedish world-class triathlete Jonas Colting who trains on a low carb diet says many athletes get in trouble when they stop competing and they can't stop eating the massive amount of carbs they ate during their competition days. This is one reason he trains low carb. He also believes it has had a positive effect on his performance. If you'd like to learn more here is a link to an interview Colting did with Jimmy Moore.

The article is pretty basic stuff for a carb-aware diabetic, but just the fact that a medical doctor who is well-respected in the sports field is willing to openly question the whole "eat more carbs" meme is a good thing.

I've read Tim Noakes stuff, including "Lore of Running" and most of my diet while I was training was based on research like his. I'd like to see what he does from here on out because I have to wonder how his new revelation about his own metabolism changes any of his previous findings invloving athletes who are not carb-resistant.

I pretty much agree with everybody else that it doesn't change much for diabetics. I had to modify my diet several times as I went from high level competition training to the maintenence level I'm at now, including significantly decreasing the amount of carbs I eat, but I'm still not anywhere near what most would consider a low carb diet.

I just thought it was interesting to see how he documents the changes in his body by experimentation. I do not eat a lot of carbs myself and find his view on eating fat rather questionable. I have been told so many times to cut off the fat on my meat and take the skin off chicken. Now he is saying eat it. Also something I find interesting is that there is some 'conspiracy' when it comes to "healthy foods". Some corporations push products on to us and we all just follow suit. That is something to think about.

I believe in moderation. And what works for the individual body does not always work for the masses.

^I agree with you about moderation. That is definitely my #1 mantra. I will say that so many different people these days try to blame one specific food for all of the world's health problems. One day it's carbs, the next day it's fat, the next day it's salt, etc. etc. The reality is that we NEED carbs AND fat AND salt in order to live. Moderation is definitely the key, not some misleading diet fad. I think if you listen to your body then it tells you what it needs. Mine told me to become a vegan and so I did :)

I know. One day everything will be seen as bad. I tend to go for veggies as well. I do eat meat when I crave it. If you look at the healthiest people they eat everything(but in moderation). We eat to live not live to eat. If I look at my grandparents who are so healthy for their age (79 and 83), they eat balanced meals. People are far too obsessed with food.