New T2 diagnosis

Thanks A million. Today I felt sluggish aye a few peanuts felt a little better. Still having the diareah. After a few min I felt sluggish and ate boiled collie lower and broccoli. And feel a bit better. I’m often afraid to go to sleep but my body is so tired. When I go to sleep will everything be okay and are broccoli and coli flower okay to eat. So many questions. What about A sprint or Advil PM to help me sleep. Can I take any of those while on this medication or no.
Thanks Anyone

I really wouldn’t lose any sleep over sleeping in your situation. You have higher BG than you want, but they aren’t low or high enough to be any immediate danger. The intestinal issues will pass after a couple of weeks (Metformin is a rough transition that way), and I’ve never heard of any adverse reactions with any analgesic or sleep aids and Metformin (it’s a very, very benign drug). I’ve take Tylenol and Alleve for pain, and occasionally diphenhydramine (Benadryl) if I need a bit of help staying asleep.

What would you say is a smart breakfast for us t2s. I’m trying to understand what a reasonable plate in the morning would look like. Can I have an egg and English muffin?

Yes Missy, you can sleep! There is absolutely nothing to be worried about at 150-200. Little did you know but you’d been sailing up at those levels off and on probably for the last few years, and sleeping just fine (and safely), before you were diagnosed.

Please relax. This is not like a terminal cancer diagnosis.

The nausea and diarrhea is being caused by the metformin. Be sure you are only taking it with food – ideally, take it right after you finish eating breakfast. Taking it with food will help a lot with the nausea.

1 Like

I don’t know you but I love You right now. You helped me to relax. I was wondering if I could take something to help me sleep. I want to take an Advil PM or can I take an Aspirin. Have you ever heard of any of these things being harmful with metformi?

Eggs, bacon, cheese; If you crave some carbs, make a breakfast burrito with a low-carb flour tortilla. Any veggies you like are also just fine.

A little fruit sparingly (3-4 strawberries, for example), nuts are good.

Get in the habit of reading nutritional labels to determine the gram weight of carbohydrates in a given food. Try to limit your carb intake to 30-40g a meal.

1 Like

I’m have a bit of chest tightness. Had you ever experienced that? I feel worked up and want to relax but I’m thinking so much and don’t know how to turn my brain off. Talking with you guys are a great help.bif I get carried away. Just hang up on me:)

All the girls love me :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wow eggs, bacon and burrito? Really? I’m so afraid to eat anything and my food taste different. Do you ever have an egg before bed or would that be pushing it. Do you keep any food by your bedside for emergency if so what? My problem is high levels not low.

Missy, I’m not a doctor, so do not rely on what I (or anyone else here says) to make a decision about whether or not you are having a medical emergency. Chest tightness is nothing to treat casually.

That said, check and see if it’s really a symptom of anxiety, not something more serious. Try this: Take a very deep breath, hold it for the count of three, then exhale gradually through tightly pursed lips. It should take you 20-30 seconds to exhale this way. Repeat 1-2 more times.

Then, just breath normally, and see how you feel. Is your chest still tight? Do you feel less anxious breathing? If so, it’s likely you’re having an anxiety response. In that case, what you need is A DISTRACTION!

Yes! In fact, I just got notification that my Werners Meat Sticks (Teriyaki) just got delivered. YUM! One of my favorite snacks. Heavy on the protein and fat, very light on the carbs.

What you need to do is learn how to eat low carb(ohydrate). Diabetics do best on a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet, and there’s tons of information on this forum about it.

FYI, eggs essentially are carb-free. You can make an awesome bacon/cheese/mushroom omelette, throw a some salsa and guac on top, and stuff your face. Your BG will barely budge.

In contrast, eat 5 gummy bears and watch your BG head for Saturn.

2 Likes

Oh, but be sure and saute the mushroom in butter and garlic!

1 Like

You just diagnosed why I put on a couple of pounds this last week! I’ve dialed in my carb-count for the day to the point my BG stays in “normal” range pretty much 24 hours a day. However, it turns out that eating extra bacon, kale, eggs, and almonds for the week (by a few thousand calories, I suspect) was not called for :smile:

Have to go and figure out what my TDEE is now, again…

:grinning: Welcome to the club! I went through this too. You get so focused on carbs and squeezing them down to tiny numbers that you forget that it’s CALORIES that matter in terms of energy balance. Eat more than you’re burning, and you’ll gain weight. The body doesn’t care if they’re carb calories, fat calories, or even protein calories. And when we shift those calories to fat and protein, the food is simply more calorie dense, so we can’t eat as much.

1 Like

That is absolutely true for me. I’m usually quite precise about how much I eat, but this last week I haven’t exercised as much as normal (busy with work and the weather turned nastyish), so I think I should have cut back by a couple hundred calories a day… winter is always harder for me in that way, although I’m not someone that struggles to control my weight (thankfully).

1 Like

This book was a life-saver for me when I was newly diagnosed: Gretchen Becker’s “The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (The Complete First Year)”. Brrow it from the library or order your own copy.

I was a nervous wreck for the first month or two after my T2 dx–this book helped put many things in context. Calm down, start educating yourself. You will begin to integrate new habits, but it will take weeks, even months to get used to living healthfully with diabetes. Be well!

3 Likes

Laughing out Loud really. Thanks a Million I haven’t had a laugh for a while.

Cracking Up.

Indeed I have started educating myself about this disease. Have you heard anything about apple cider vinigar and it’s benifits or problems while on metformin

By nature I don’t move a lot. I’ve started walking much more than before. But truly my life moves extra slow. So I am not hungry much. If I don’t eat much or exercise much how harmful is that combination. When I do eat though I plan to eat small meals and the proper foods. Broccoli fanatic