Type 2 issues

I am not an expert I am still learning what not to eat and more often probably eat things that half of you wouldn’t eat, but I think I eat little of it. But anyways, I am around 250 in readings seems like it doesn’t matter how good I eat, I read back of boxes and snacks all the time I look for fiber and Carbs and sugars don’t really care much about anything else… I exercise all the time I Mountain bike , I ride at least for 1 hour and 45minutes sometimes longer. I try to lift weights, I have lost weight I am now 178 I use to be 250.

So my question is does Metformin stop working sometimes. it just seems if i eat fish and veggies or a burger and a salad with onions and peppers and hot peppers and a small amount of Italian dressing my sugar hasn’t been good lately. what should i ask the doctor?

I just ate a bag of popcorn…

Congratulations on the weight loss and your exercise program. But… if your BG is running consistently at 250 that is not acceptable, actually it is dangerous.
You have not given enough information to really comment, (what was your last A1c?)
Are you seeing a PC or Endo? When where you diagnosed?

And as another possibility you might have been missed diagnosed as a T2 and are really a slow progressing T1 or LADA.

You need to do some research, join a support group, get more education, and maybe Change doctors. You BG should be no higher than 140 during a spike.

1 Like

In 2015 I was told i was diabetic, so you are saying after i eat i should be 140? How soon after i eat should i test this? I first was told my ALC was 13.5 than i got it down to 8.5 then it was 6.5 now i am back to 8.5 But I go this Friday again. I still eat some Bread but not what I use to do, I have stopped all sweats but I still have some but I eat all day long Nut Bars, maybe pop corn, Oat meal for lunch, or salads that i make at home. I do try not to eat Fried foods… But i do like a few slices of Pizza every now and then… I make sure I have meats on it I am wanting to find a Natural way to fix this Diabetes thing, this is just hard!

Personally I try never to be over 140 people test one and two hours after starting a meal.

Reality, Other than the salad (I would not use dressing) All the foods that you listed, from oatmeal to bread etc. Are things I do not tolerate and do not eat. I learned that by testing before and after eating foods and understanding what works for you.

Yes it is very hard, it takes a Complete analysis of your life.

But after 10 years I am on diet and excercise only. With an A1c in the mid 5’s

That includes limiting my carb intake to 30 carbs a day.
not everyone can or wants to do that.

It’s easy to realax after you have done a great job of reducing you bg. The hard part is continuing tight control.

There are many options to control your BG, start by talking with your doctor and agreeing on a goal, and “eat to your meter”. Which means test before and after eating and then eliminate what does not work for you.

It took me a couple of years to figure it out, but now I can easily calculate what I can eat, so that part is no longer difficult.

WOW i would say you are in control! And yes i read everything before buying it but what are the Carbs on packages that you look for? What type of foods do you eat?
I am still learning it sucks i get made often about this ■■■■! I just dont know how much more weight i can loose!

Weight loss is a part but not everything. You have the weight loss and exercise in place. Most T2’s need to drastically eliminate carbs, basically I consider my self carb in tolerant.

What I dont’t Eat (based on my testing) breads, pasta, any thing with grain in it, Oatmeal, eliminated rice, yogurt, potatoes anything with flour in it (bagels are the worst)
And all carbohydrates are not the same. I also I do not purchase processed food I do all my own cooking. I did all my own cooking before I was diagnosed.
Breakfast eggs and sausage, lunch chicken or tuna salad and a green salad, Dinner salad and a protein, But this all needs to be tailored to your needs.

Basically I fit the mold for a Keto diet. I dont follow every bit of their micro nutrients, too much of a pain. But I did buy a meter that measured Kentones, and I was already in nutritional ketosis, (sort of like level 1 compliance) So I just kept doing what I do.

1 Like

I would also talk with your Doctor about being tested for antibodies for a T1 Diagnosis.
If you are not familiar with LADA (late auto immune disease in adults) It can be misdiagnoses as T2 since it has a long honeymoon period until it is clear t2 protocols are not working.

If you are really having bg readings in the 250’s this might be an indicator.

This site is a good source of information about LADA

UPDATE:: well I started my journey with a A1C of 13.5 then i got to 10 then 9.5 now I am at 8.3, so what I was doing is not waiting to take my blood! My Doc said all my numbers are good to keep doing what I am doing and to not test my blood 10 min. after I eat he said to wait 2 hours or an hour!

I agree with your doctor.!

Great progress on the reduction on A1C! Yes, you should wait 2 hours to check your blood sugar after eating. I’d also suggest logging your food and resulting post meal blood sugar reading to see if you can identify which foods you are having the most trouble with. My trouble foods are oatmeal, rice, most bread, cold cereal, tropical fruit, overly processed foods, juice, most desserts, foods with added sugar, more than one slice of pizza, and pasta.

I tend to eat high protein-(meat, fish, chicken, eggs), lots of non-starchy veggies, and small quantities of whole grains. I average 100-120g carbs per day, often less, and my most recent A1C was 5.9.

I managed with diet, exercise and metformin for years until that approach was no longer effective. Now I use basal and bolus insulin. Every body and everybody’s diabetes is different. You have to figure out what works for you and fine tune it as needed.

Hi johnp1,

GREAT job on the weight loss and reducing your A1C.

My doc says that 180 should be top of spike after meals. Just ONE cup of unsweetened coffee will spike me into the 200’s.

I met with several different dieticians and nutritionists over the years, given handouts of what to avoid, etc. NO help whatsoever. I have bought diabetes cookbooks. I have read diabetes meal planning guides. I write down EVERYTHING I eat and drink every day.

If I attempted to eat just part of the stuff listed as a good meal plan for a diabetic, I would spike into the 300’s easily even with bolus insulin on board.

The ONLY thing I have found that works for me as far as what I should or should NOT eat is what my meter says. For example, I can not eat one spoon of rice without spiking very high. Rice is out completely, not even one taste.

I made a pot of homemade vegetable soup and my meter said it was not a good choice. I made the exact same soup with two turnips instead of the ONE potato I had used in the first soup. HUGE difference on my meter. In the soup, I could not tell the difference between the potato or the turnip. Was just as good or maybe even better tasting with the turnips. Who would have thought that just ONE potato in a huge pot of soup could be so detrimental on my meter!

When I hear some things that other diabetics eat and still have good numbers, I can’t understand why I can’t eat those items without huge spikes.

Everyone is different. What you eat is best guided by your meter. Lots of trial and error is how I discovered what I can and can’t eat.

My doc says post meal reading should be done 2 hours after eating. He doesn’t want to hear about anything other than 2 hour post prandial. Not an hour, not 3 hours. He is a stickler for the 2 hour standard.

For ME, (not my doc), I like to see the rise and fall. How high did it get and when. How long did it take to come down to a baseline level not influenced by food or beverage. That is where my Libre comes in handy. The actual values may not be accurate but it tells me how much I went up, where I topped off, and how long it took to come back to a resting point.

I am a “picky” eater. Lots of foods I don’t like. I love veggies so I eat lots of them, undoctored up. Yes, just plain. Don’t like fruits so they are just not part of my diet, even before diabetes. Don’t like cereals. Never did and never will.

Tailor your food to your likes and your meter. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Well, I am down to 167 lbs but the food is a struggle for me. I still Like bread, I like little pieces of bad stuff, but I still bike 100 miles a month well that is my goal is 100 but right now I am only at 16miles and lift weights when I can. when people around you don’t cook for you or when you have to do it all it sux.

I too cook for myself, I like it because I know what is in the food I eat.
You can get low carb bread in the supermarket, not sure how you will react to it, but you could get some and test at the 2 hour mark to see how you react. I think you still have to limit how much you eat, but at least it would be something.

1 Like

A lot of us eat pretty much whatever we did before but just in slightly smaller volume and a low carb version. There are tons of low carb great foods and I will just give you an example or 2.

Tons of websites with great food for diabetics. I don’t exercise much because exercise makes me hungry and then I eat more and need to take more insulin which leads to weight gain, a vicious circle. I mostly prepare foods I can make and clean up the mess within 30-45 minutes and have enough for 2 weeks, eating a little every other day to interchange with other meals.

I am 5 ft 9" male, now at 125 lbs steady and keep my A1C in the high 5’s. Carb limit 15 per meal, 30 per day with occasional cheat day.

Bon Appetit

3 Likes

If you are type 2 you generally have no insulin to cover slightly higher carb foods. The only tools you have to lower your blood sugars are exercise and your ration of medication. A good half hour walk after a higher carb meal can help lower blood sugars. Also drinking lots of water.

1 Like

That is not correct. Actually so far off.
Many T2’s make insulin, actually way more insulin but don’t use it effectively
That is a basic definition of T2.

It really frustrates me so see such incorrect information posted on this site.

I did put that rather clumsily. I was trying to say that for T2s on medication it is not possible to bolus manufactured insulin to cover the carbs in food. So that for a T2 eating like you did before diagnosis is not usually possible.
Sorry I misled you, Tom.

2 Likes

Don’t many people take meal time insulin or wear a pump to cover carbs? Nancy50

Not T2s in Australia. I don’t think many T1s have pumps and CGMS here either.

Hey all just checking in here,
I am now down to 157 in weight, I still bike alot looking now at 100 miles aweek! Sometimes I only get 70miles. But i am now on Jardiance + metformin + Trulicity and Glimapride
Crazy all these drugs! I am soon to be 50 years old, I lost my Diabetic mother in-law this year so damn sad. I use to talk with her about this diseases I feel so alone now! I have been taking the Jardiance for 2 days now and it does make you feel strange!