New T2 diagnosis

Couple of things struck me about your post. 1) Stress raises your blood sugar. So calm down. Don’t panic. 2) Drink lots of water to lower your blood sugar. 3) Plan to walk, diet, and lose weight for a long-term solution to T2. My doc has put me on her “Dr. No diet”: no bread, no rice, no pasta, no sugar, no cereal and only very limited fruit. Plus the 10K steps walk 5 times per week (I’m no angel about this: I’ve only worked up to about 5000 steps so far, build up gradually). In two weeks, I’m down 8 lbs. I eat vegetables, beans, eggs, dairy including cheese, and meat and poultry. Not too bad. I know the more weight I can lose, my A1c numbers will come down and I can get off of most of my meds. I’m figuring on about year to get down to my ideal weight. Good luck and remember to keep it simple but keep at it.

Missy, The the initial blood sugar numbers you gave us were all under 200. That is not so bad for right after diagnosis. Is it still in that range? If so just start with the metformin and shoot for 150 minute of moderate exercise a day (this reduces your body’s need for insulin). Learn a bit about how to identify carbohydrates, so you eat less and don’t have to work so hard to produce as much insulin. It is OK to have a treat sometime, but pay attention to how much sugar you eat and drink.

If your numbers are still below 200 you can even cut back on the metformin for a few days to help you adjust to the new medication. You can go back up on the dose over time.

Over the next month, you will want you morning blood sugar to be in the general range of 125 to 160 or the number set by you provider. People with well controlled diabetes live a long and healthy life, you just need to make it past the first week.

If after a month you need more medication to help you control you blood sugar ask you provider. Be an aggressive advocate.

when I started this my sugar was 500. they started with metformin. didn’t seem to do any good. was NEVER hungry and the numbers would not go down. I don’t have a lot of money my husband and I live on $2000.00/mo in southern California, not easy to do. I started the adkins diet…all protein and veggies. then I started walking, just an easy walk, about an hour a day. The numbers finally started to drop. Keeping your emotions in check also help as they play a big role in keeping numbers down also. Stress, emotional or physical affects those numbers. Meditate, find a quiet place just some YOU quiet time to quell the nervous feeling you’ve got. when we are nervous or stressed other chemicals in our bodys take over and the glucose numbers go UP. MAKE YOURSELF EAT. not hungry, eat anyway. it’s really hard to do but you have to to get your metabolism going. make sure it is good protein with FAT included (I’ve tried chicken, pork and beef the beef worked the best) just plain, a bit of butter and a small pinch of salt, garlic or whatever seasonings you like. . FAT, natural, like butter or whole milk is necessary for proper digestion. don’t go overboard but keep fat in your diet. STAY AWAY FROM ‘DIET’ FOODS. they’ve got all kinds of unnatural crap in them that cause more harm than good. if you want to talk more i’m here. It’s been 10 years and I’ve just gotten a good balance of meds and everything else, FINALLY. My best to your new endeavor. YOU CAN DO IT. oh don’t forget your 3-8oz glasses of water, no more. NO JUICE or SODA, not even sugar free ! go online and check out listings for diabetic good carbs, this will help too.

DON’T DENY YOURSELF, that’s just asking for trouble. have that Christmas torte WITH your protein dinner. having the sweets, a small amount will metabolize differently than eating it by itself. DON’T EAT HALF THE CAKE. just a small amount. get used to enjoying the flavor not the quantity.

Hi Missy,
I’m Allyson Schloming, Development Director for the Diabetes Hands Foundation.
I hope you’re feeling better.
I’m collecting quotes from our TuDiabetes members for our End of Year Giving Campaign, Do you mind emailing me a quote on how you’re doing with your recent diagnosis of T2 diagnosis and how the TuDiabetes Community has helped with suggestions and guidance?

You can email me at allyson@diabeteshf.org

Thank you!
Allyson

I know precisely what you mean. Weren’t we generally under the impression that oatmeal is “healthy”? except oatmeal would send my BG up to 200’s! I haven’t had oatmeal in such a long time probably, a few years.

1 Like

Its sort of like eating upside down, good fats are healthy, grains are not. Be aware fruit can raise your blood sugars.
Oh, and @David49, I allow myself a small helping of Christmas tiramisu.

1 Like

Some foods are just “bolus-worthy” regardless of BG elevation. (Within moderation, of course, and with a hefty pre- and extended bolus. And as much postprandial rage bolusing as is necessary!) :relieved:

True that. I had a marshmallow rice krispie treat last night. First one in years. Definitely bolus worthy, although it wasn’t as good as my homemade ones.

The key to making great Rice Krispies Treats is to double the butter the recipe calls for.

More butter will make this world a better place!

3 Likes

[quote=“rgcainmd, post:71, topic:56809, full:true”]
The key to making great Rice Krispies Treats is to double the butter the recipe calls for.[/quote]No credit for that one, Rose. We all know that’s the key to making anything taste better. :grin:

1 Like

Agree emphatically. Most people do not use enough. A similar rule applies to potatoes au gratin. Use a lot more cheese than the recipe states and you’ll get a far better product.

That would need to be cauliflower au gratin for me, as potatoes no longer exist in my LCHF universe.

They exist in mine. Sometimes as much as twice a year. :laughing: Not, however, on Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

I applaud your willpower, sir!

I am back to eating oatmeal every day after avoiding it for several years. I don’t make it with milk anymore so it is not nearly as yummy as it was years ago. But with a 3-mile walk after breakfast and a split pre-bolus, it works. I often go low and a glucose tab or two takes care of that. Every once in a while I go high, but it is usually a mistiming spike that resolves. If I correct, I usually end up low and curse myself for giving a correction bolus. Mornings are damned if I do, damned if I don’t.

I have never found a regimen that works 100% of the time after getting up and for breakfast and through the mornings. So this is as good as anything and I really enjoy the oatmeal. Things like eggs are not a completely reliable breakfast because most of my morning rise is hormonal or liver kicking in or whatever gremlins make mornings hard for diabetes. Plus although I like eggs for a while, I start to hate them after too many days.

1 Like

Laddie, I think you’re right. I’m convinced mornings are hard due to D-gremlins. Not much else is consistent enough to make sense…

1 Like

So what converted you to the LCHF world-- in pretty sure I remember you being a critic of it in the not too distant past? Are you just a fan of this in terms of weight control? Or for general health for everyone? How about kids and adolescents?

Consider me a convert; old dogs can learn new tricks! I truly believe in the LCHF lifestyle, for weight loss, as a strategy to help manage BG, and as part of a healthy lifestyle. I can’t believe how much better I feel eating this way. Mind you, I’m not ultra low-carb; I probably consume about 40 - 50 grams of carbs daily on average (including my once-weekly foray into peanut butter chocolate hell). Although I am decreasing the frequency of my self-destructive binges thanks to LC Nanaimo Bars.

1 Like

I had two small slices of pizza tonight with some salmon, a little ice cream, veggies.

Pre meal BG 103. I did bolus 15 minutes before the meal, 5 units. When I finished my dinner, which was about 1 1/2 hours after my first bolus, I bolused 1.5 units for the pizza and salmon. And walked for about 3 miles.
Everything appeared to be normal (2 hours after my last bite of dinner, the BG was 105) until the 4th hour when I noticed a BG rise from 105 to 131. I took 0.5 unit it is bedtime. I thought the 3 mile walk would keep the BG down. Darn. We’ll see what tomorrow morning brings.