New to this a1c results help!

went for blood work yesterday may 25. and thanks to having access to some of my health information online. I can see that the a1c test done came back witA1C is 5.5% the ideal range reference being 4.5% to 6.5%. at the hospital glucose was Tuesday afternoon was 6.8 and fasting glucose was 6.3 Wednesday morning be for i got discharged. but when I go to the doctors on Monday they will tell me what is going on. but I wouldn’t be surprised if I get diagnosed with diabetes even though my a1c indecates prediabeties because of having all 2 of my grandparents, and dad have diabetes, the A1c and the other 2 glucose readings. I’m curious if all this will lead to a diabetes diagnosis. I don’t have a meter yet but working on getting one. any advice is welcome.

2 Likes

Hi Diane, I’d get a meter asap. You can get a relatively inexpensive one at Walmart - the Relion brand. (many of our members use this as a back up meter). This way you can see what different foods are doing to your blood sugar. keep a log (I know pita) of what you eat, what your fastings are, before meal bg and 2 or 3 hours after. you can also see how exercise affects your bg - check before and after - you’ll be motivated to walk if you see how it (usually) goes down!

I’m sure some of our type 2 members can add to this. good luck and keep us posted!

3 Likes

if Wal-Mart canada had that brand I would get it. unfortunately they do not. but my dad who is type 2 and on both metformin and insulin. gets more strips then he knows what to do with as he is to the that his doctor told him he needs to test only once a day. and he gets everything covered. so he is going to hook me up with a meter and stuff and strips every other month. so I can be testing 3 times a day every other day and have 7 strips left over at the end of 2 months. I can’t get a prescription for test strips with out a diagnosis of diabetes as i live on disability that being said i would only get 200 test strips a year covered

Sounds like you’re on the ball and will learn what you need to know. 6.8 is definitely “diabetic”. In the US it signifies an average BG of 148 to 168 depending on which A1c conversion chart you use. If you divide those numbers by 18, I think you get the Canadian BG average number of 8.2-9.3.

Good luck with your doctors appointments and do not let them dismiss you with “pre-diabetes.” Your longterm health depends on it. Unfortunately many people with Type 2 end up with complications because doctors dismissed the seriousness of moderately elevated BG numbers.

Have a look at various meter websites. Some offer free meter if you buy strips, others will send a free meter with 10 free test strips.

1 Like