Newbie to my Medtronic Insulin Pump

As of yesterday August 26 I am plugged into my insulin pump. Only it’s running saline instead of insulin until I get used to it. So far so good half the night spent worrying that I might break it, if I fell asleep and it got crushed. But I finally caved and fell asleep. Woke up freaking out that I may have messed up my pump only find ever faithful laying beside me in tact phewwwwwwwww what a relief hahahaha. Maybe this means tonight I will sleep better. My kids are proud of me for taking the bull by the horns I guess I am too. I have 2 dogs at home and the female is an attention hog so she kind of doesn’t realize that my pump is at my waist side and jumps so I have to be very careful around her. But I don’t want her to feel like mommy is punishing her. She is so loving and special to me. She tends to know when my sugars are low and tries to wake me. Amazing for a mini schnauzer. The other guy my male lmao tries to talk when frustrated not sure what he wants though lol afterall I don’t speak dog. They sense something is new on me and are curious. As you can tell I love animals. A city girl born a farm girl at heart. :slight_smile:

Your going to love it. I started in April. What a big differance. As for the sleeping thing I was worried as to “where is it”. Don’t worry it is very durable. I just keep it unclipped by me and when I wake up it is sometimes wrapped around me.

Do watch for the dog jumps. If they get hooked on your tubing…the tug may pull it out. It’s kinda like getting it caught on a door knob. ouch! As for the dogs…one night I was laying on the sofa next to my mother in laws schnauzer. All of a sudden the pump vibrated buzzzzzed… as she laid across my legs she jumped 30 feet off the sofa. Very funny.

As for going live on with insulin my biggest challange with my transition from Lantus to the pump. I stopped the lantus the day before…but it took a couple of days for it to get out of my system 100%. Lots of lows in the first couple days. Just keep an eye on it and work with the Dr. on the basal rate changes. Good Luck would like to here from you once you start to see how it is going.

Hoorah! You’ll be surprised how tough these things are! I have dropped, bumped, and more – and never once had to return it :slight_smile:

Hope the transition goes well! Remember that it might take some time to get the settings right, but stick with it and you should enjoy it :slight_smile:

I do have to watch my dogs but omg they are like my babies. They are so cute. The male Gizmo is like a little boy gets sad if he doesn’t get to play. 8 years old and still as lively as when he was a pup. I will try and load my babies video if possible on here later. haven’t learned to do that here yet. :slight_smile:

I have just got the same pump and I love it, life is now so much better not having to inject four times daily. I also felt a bit awkward sleeping with it but all is ok now. Medtronic do a special pouch for the pump whilst sleeping so I may try one as they are not expensive.

Wow.They actually put me on the pump at my first meeting.Good luck!

I hear that I walked in for my pump class she crash coursed me through a brief thingy and said here now put that thing on you. I was like omfg. She said that’s right I am serious lmao I’d been there before when I was little learning how to give myself shots so mom didn’t have to anymore and I manned up. help my breath pressed the staple thingy and voila! Mama’s a walking robot lol. I love to joke so please no one get offended it makes for a better life don’t you all agree? Btw Jeremiahtren I am glad you made it through Katrina God bless you girl.