Nuclear Eggs for Breakfast, Anyone?

So last week, I went into the nuclear medicine dept at Kaiser to get a test done to see if I had a condition called Gastroparesis. The test lasted four hours! I basically had to eat an egg scramble that was injected with radioactive material, so they could take a two minute x-ray of my stomach every hour for four hours to see how quickly the materials emptied from my stomach into my intestinal track. Below is a link to my experience with the very useful study and also what not to do from my experience with a prior doctor.

http://www.trainedbyinsulin.com/1/post/2012/12/nuclear-eggs-for-breakfast.html

I too had that stomach emptying nuclear test a few years ago which was negative..but just this year I had an Endoscopic and was found to have Gastroparesis. I was relieved when the test came back negative but I wanted to know why my D was different, so this year I finally got my answer. I guess I was pre-GP but no one told me or did they even know. Living with Diabetes I've become familiar how my body reacts and when something is out of sync I feel it ...so be ever alert.

The test you had is very time consuming and expensive and unfortunately, it is not very good. Gastroparesis is highly variable and if it didn't happen during the test, it wouldn't be seen. Gastroparesis occus from damage to the Vagus nerve. According to Bernstein, an R-R interval study is a much simpler and effective indication of whether you have damage to the vagus and gastroparesis. The R-R study can be perfomed by a GP in a regular office visit.