Nutritional Scales

I am going to replace my very old (ans somewhat inconsistant) kitchen scale with one of the new nutritional scales—anyone have any ifo to share on which one you use or think is best and why?

Before I fork over $70+ I like to hear from a few real users…

I spent $70 on a Salter Scale… and I generally like it.

BUT the buttons are sometimes hard to press… and I found that it WAY overestimates the carbs in rice. So it makes me question it’s accuracy.

I admit that I only use it about once a week. When I know the carb count of something, I tend to still use the measuring cups and CalorieKing. A much cheaper option.

I know that many love the Salter scales and I can see why. I think it is worth it, but you need to get in the habit of using it. I haven’t gotten my 70 dollars worth yet. But I can’t decide if it’s the scale’s fault or my own…

Hope there are more helpful thoughts :slight_smile:

I have the Escali Cibo Nutritional Scale- $58 from Amazon.com. It’s really easy to use and I find it invaluable. I use it just about every day.

• Displays calories, sodium, protein, fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol or fiber via the input of 999 different food codes
  • Calculates total nutritional value of up to 99 different meal components
  • Removable stainless steel plate for fast and easy clean up
  • Capacity: 6 lb or 3000 gram
  • Measures in ounces, pounds+ounces or grams, accurately measures in 0.1 ounce or 1 gram increments

any one used the eat smart nutrition scale?:

http://www.eatsmartproducts.com/demo.php

That’s the one I use. I use it everyday, usually several times so I get my money’s worth. I don’t think it over-estimates rice, but I haven’t compared it to anything; my BG’s are good after I eat rice though. I rarely eat rice, and usually I eat brown rice. Are you just talking about white rice or brown rice too? How did you determine it’s over-estimating?

I don’t like measuring cups for anything but liquids. I measured oatmeal once, and then weighed it, and found there was enough of an inconsistency that I only weigh it now. Most things are apt to have volume variations, and that annoys me. Weighing it solves that problems.

As for the scale, I like it overall. I agree the buttons aren’t as user-friendly as I had hoped. I also have some difficulty reading the screen unless it’s at a certain angle, but I think that’s more due to vision issues I have than the scale. I’ve had this one for about a year, and I like it enough that I’ll continue to use it until I stumble upon something I like better or it breaks.

Here’s a review of the Eat Smart by a D-Blogger, Scott.

Here’s a link from www.diabetesmine.com that might be useful:
Weigh station
Mostly it’s about the Salter… but thought that some of the comments might be useful

And some comments from DiabetesDaily:
http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/16988-reccomend-…

Thanks for the comment Lee Ann! I actually always wanted to ask another Salter user this rice question!

With the rice (white rice), perhaps I was wrong in trusting the measuring cup. I had always used the measuring cup and CalorieKing.com to measure rice. And I measured a half cup of rice and then weighed a half cup, and the Salter told me many more carbs than the measuring cup.

Perhaps I did something wrong. So I would not take this as a reason not to buy the Salter.

As Lee Ann and I both mentioned, sometimes the buttons are hard to press, but UNLIKE the Eat Smart, it doesn’t use codes for the food. Which may be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your preference.

I think that I will also get my money’s worth out of the Salter. I just need to develop better habits about using and not relying so much on my old carb counting techniques. Perhaps they weren’t as accurate as I thought.

thanks!

I looked at all these scales and the salter 1450 looks like the one I’m going to purchase. anyone have personal experience with it?

lol! I think I need ot invest in a scale…Libby I think I am going to invest in the one you have.

You can buy the Escali Primo scale for $24.95. I have been using one for a couple years and LOVE it.

I don’t see any point in scales that include nutritional information because the actual nutritional information for various things is never what those tables say it is. I use LifeForm software and look up anything I wonder about, and over the years I’ve entered in all the products I use into LifeForm’s database so I can quickly get a read on any recipe.

I think you’ll like it. It’s really helpful for when you want to know how many carbs are in the portion of food you’re about to eat.