OK! It seems like I'm not getting this

I was diagnosed when I was 8. My dad was diagnosed when he was 8 and died when he was 41. Even thought I never said it, I always thought I would die around that age as well. It really didn’t bother me in my teens and 20’s because it seemed so far away. Then I got married, bought a house and began to move on in my professional career and I began thinking that isn’t that far off and how much that would suck.

That along with some complications is what really motivated me to learn about the disease and begin to attempt to control it. In that process I began to realize that diabetes of 40 years ago is not the same as today and there is absolutely no reason that my story has to be the same as my dads.

So if I were you I would use the perspective that you are not managing this disease for today or this week, but you are managing when you realize what really matters in your life whether it be your career, getting married or having children. Hard to see in your 20’s but that is really what you need to think about.

Good luck and I understand where your coming from.

Thank You Jim. I do see it and I do worry. And because of my life goals and people like you, I am inspired to go on and do it right. My father recently passed a few months before turning 40 (unnatural causes) and I guess that has had an impact on me.

Here is an interesting poster that shows that youth who test more frequently have lower A1c’s…

http://abstract.t1dxresearch.org/2011/FrequencySMBGAssocHbA1cLevels…

This is early data from the T1DExchange study.

They make the point that people who test more frequently may be doing other things to manage their diabetes too, so it may not be just testing…but as others have pointed out, it is only through seeing what is happening that you can make adjustments.

Data like this helped convnce the state of Washington that insurance should provide unlimited test strips for children.

:slight_smile:

A piece of advice from someone who’s had D for 32 years…I’ve lost so much sight that I qualify as legally blind and can no longer drive. I lost a lucrative career because I kept getting sores on my feet that wouldn’t heal. Last year I had a hypo in my sleep and sustained brain damage that now affects my memory. Trust me, as inconveinient as it is for you now, it will save you a lifetime of grief by taking care of yourself. I suspect you don’t care because this kind of thing hasn’t affected you yet. Trust me, it’s worth every minute to take care of yourself and keep alive your freedom to thrive.
Eric

I done the same as ur doing when I was in colleage. I would up dropping out b/c I couldn't constarte on what the professer was saying. All I can tell u is to try and check ur bs's more often (never used a GMC during that time in fact they didn't exist during that time) And to try and get ur exercise in there. I use walking myself as exercise