Ok, i've started pumping

Ok so I’ve started pumping. Had a traumatic first night. The no insuling delivery alarm went off and had the change the set. I was in horror. I was due to go back the next day to hospital to go through changing the set but knew I had to do it on my own. I was in panic mode but read through the book and with the help of the helpline succesfully did it. Been running quite high during the day but seem to have sorted out the basal rate for night time now. I know it will take a while and understand I have to make small changes, one at a time but it is very frustrating. If anyone is reading this and can give me some advice regarding finding the right basal rate it would be really helpful. I am sure I need to up my daytime basal but not really sure, it may be I need to up my bolus ratio!!! As you can probably tell, I need a little help.

I would hesitate changing things to much right now. Give it a couple days for your body to adjust. Your end. should be able to help you figure out if it is your basal or bolus ratio that needs to adjust. Good luck!

If you are getting alarms like that, definitely call into the 24 hour help line. They will help you sort through things much quicker than having to read through the manuals. After a while though, it will become second nature to you.

As for basal rates, that can be tough. I mess with mine all the time to match the trends I get from the real time system, and as long as you are consulting with your physician, you should be fine.

Remember, when you first start, it is very tough to get everything right on the first try. Just like the insulin shot regimens needing a tweak here and there, so does the pump. KEEP AT IT!! GOOD LUCK! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your comments. Things are getting better and I have now started tweaking here and there and control is improving but lots of work is still needed. I have started reading “Pumping Insulin” and think this will help me loads. Thanks again. Verity