Omnipod 5 partial refill problem

Hello all.
I ran into an unexpected problem today with doing an Omnipod 5 refill. I usually get a 90 day refill each time. The pharmacy that I regularly use (Walgreens), only had one box of 5 which covers 15 days. I went ahead and got that one box. I then called another Walgreens location and they had plenty so I asked them to fill the rest of the prescription which would be five more boxes. They said “Sure”. Then they said the insurance was rejecting it and we would have to wait 15 days to complete the rest of the order. This is ridiculous and somewhat unnecessary and unnerving. Is this a normal thing with the insurance companies. I have Blue Cross and Medicare. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced this problem with partial refills. TIA.

1 Like

This has happened to me with insulin.
I was on vacation and I ran out of humalog. So I went to the pharmacy and got a bottle, not the entire order of of 6 bottles but just 1. And doing that meant my insurance company didn’t want to refil my 6 bottles because it looked like I already got it a month earlier when I got the one. If I knew that , I would have taken all 6 while on vacation. So I did get the insulin, but only after my doctor gave me a new script.
Live and learn I guess, when you switch things around or take less than you usually do, it’s probably going to get screwed up

1 Like

contents removed by original author

Thanks. That is helpful. I’m slowly learning.

I’ve been hopping between pharmacies trying to get even a one month refill. Then, I get a text from Insulate today (9/7/23), asking if I’m having trouble getting a refill. YES! My guess is there is a supply chain problem they are not talking about openly. This is a good case for using as much of the 8 hour grace period as possible between pods, because when you are out, your out! Then, you will need to get a new prescription for all the old school methods of getting your medication.

contents removed by original author

If you are on MEDICARE, the time limits are generally applied strictly for pumps and glucose monitors. You can put in your order a bit before the shipping date if you are on mail order supplies. Keep track of your vendor’s performance and consider changing your supplier – some are much better than others and even good suppliers can get worse.

Keep the most recent paper ID for your pump and glucose monitor – and, as mentioned, call the manufacturer immediately to report any problem and request a replacement (you’ll need the serial number, etc). Good to keep any insulin box for your current bottle in case you need to call the manufacturer.

On insulin, ask your doctor to write the scrip for the number of bottles – not per month. I just get one bottle at a time to reduce the impact of issues such as heat damage, reduced effectiveness from jarring the bottle, etc.

I’ve generally not been able to build up a supply.

Hope these comments help someone!