OmniPod what do you think of it

so i found out today that the pump i want is not cover under my insurance. i was wanting the Animas Ping but it not cover under my insurance. but the OmniPod is cover under my insurance. so what do you think of it ??.

Hey Eric,
I totally LOVE the OmniPod. I’ve been using it for 7
years. Fighting Medicare for continued coverage at present.
It has so many advantages over pumps since there’s no tubing involved. There are many sites to place pods. And it is water-proof. No need to remove it for showers. They last for 3 days to 3 days plus 8 hours,
depending on your insulin needs.

Insulet will send an instructor to your home to teach
you how to fill, etc.
I think it’s a great deal!

1 Like

The OmniPod rocks!

1 Like

Love my Omnipod and have used both Omnipod and Minimed pumps. I had no issue with the MM, but I’d never go back to a tubed pump. I almost exclusively wear my Pod on the back of my arms, upper thighs and back of my calves. IMHO it just gives way more flexibility and there is no worry about disconnecting for the shower, pool, ocean etc.

Good luck with your decision and let us know if you have any questions!!!

so far it the one i like the most. but i still have a other one I’m looking at.

If I ever end up with a pump the Omnipod would be likely at the top of my list… Where I live the market seems to be predominantly Medtronic, I think they have a strong network of sales reps here that know all the doctors… But they don’t appeal to me for largely two reasons 1) they’re not waterproof, and 2) I’m not real keen on the tube.

All pumps take some getting used to and you still have to do the work… I love my pod. It makes diabetes a little easier.

i made up my Mind Omnipod it is. think i die if i can’t swim so being waterproof is a must.

I hope you’ll love your OmniPod as much as my daughter loves hers!

as long as it is waterproof i will love it.

Hey, @mikep, how do the backs of your calves work? Not much fat there, but I use the backs of my arms all the time, and I could use some new sites. Any knockage issues there?

To the OP: I love my pod. Never used anything else and really no desire to try. I spend a lot of time in the ocean in the summer, and I don’t want to mess with unhooking tubes.

Hey @Jim2 - yes, i’ve had good success with back of calves. Not much fat there for me either. I primarily use my arms (never my stomach) but use the calves a couple times a month. I’ve knocked it off sometimes but no more than a few times knocking off my arms with a door jam or car door.

Interesting placement. I did try the back of the arm once, it worked ok for delivery, but I found at night in bed it hurt to put pressure on the pod. Is the dull pain normal in those locations?

for me no.

I did not like sleeping on the Omnipod wherever it was, when I used it - now do i like sleeping on tubed infusion sets, even though they’re so much smaller. Over the years, I’ve found that I can plan how I sleep and stick to it, so I alternate side-to-side with sites, and sleep on my back or the side that does not have the infusion site or Dexcom sensor – I try and rotate those in sync with the infusion sites.

is the arm a good place to put it or where is ??.

Worked well for me, but it’s a pretty personal choice. If you like the Dexcom sensor on the arm, you might want the Pod elsewhere.

We reserve my daughter’s arms for Dexcom sensors. Pods go everywhere else: tummy, upper bum/lower back, thighs.

after thinking about it. the pod on my arm won’t work. with my luck i bump in to something & off it comes. & i like my Dexcom sensor on my arms.

1 Like

For my daughter, Dexcom is much more accurate when it’s on an arm. (And it’s scary-accurate when that arm is hers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

4 Likes