One week into this Type 1 diabetic thing and my kids school nurse (i.e. clinic aid) made a major mistake

Have you been to the Virginia Diabetes Council Website ?

I know you are in survival mode at the moment but there seemed to be a protocol manual for Virginia schools that defines responsibilities for the teachers (like assisting the diabetic child to the nurses office), the clinic aid, the prinicipal and others in the school. It also included the various 504 forms and other forms required by Virginia schools.

This would probably be a good education document. Since they have not had a diabetic child on campus, they may not know it is available and in many things in it are required so they need to become aware.

My son is older and our district in Texas requires a Glucagon pen for each diabetic child. The nurses keep it by the door in an emergency bag and if he ever is too low, the teacher calls the nurse and they bring it to the room, administer it. They also have someone call 911. It’s a large high school, so they have designated people to meet emergency and help find the room. We have never had to use the plan, but I am glad there is one in place! For a normal low, he can test and then go to the nurses office and get juice, crackers, etc and re-test. In the beginning, they called me for every low but now that he is a senior and more stable, not so much - only if he needs supplies brought to the school to change his pump,etc…

I would want and require a call for every low on a small son or daughter. Good luck to you.

Hey Heather,
I hear your frustration. My son was diagnosed last year at age 8 and he hit the honeymoon period right away and that lasted about 3 months. We don’t have very good cooperation with his school and believe it or not, we don’t even have a school nurse at my son’s school so we are on our own and I just cross my fingers that nothing serious happens as there is no nurse and noone properly trained to deal with his diabetes. They act like there is nothing really serious wrong with him and even complain when he missed school last year after his diagnosis.

There is a school nurse for the district who visits the school once a week but that is it!!! Believe it or not, it seems the USA has better protocols with the IEP and ADA plan and it seems most school have a nurse/aid.

When my son went back after his diagnosis last December I was freaking out!!! I am diabetic as well and the stress sent my blood sugars through the roof. I ended up bringing him home for lunch everyday (I too live near the school) and that has help me a lot since now I have an idea of how his morning went and can control his food intake and give a shot at lunch and then he only goes back for 2h30 minutes so I don’t worry as much.

He is also the ONLY diabetic in his school and you would be surprised at the stupid comments I got from teachers and even after having a VERY organized meeting with his teacher and principals at the beginning of the school year they still don’t bother to help me as I asked. The other day they had a school parade with an 1h30 minute walk around the neighborhood. I needed to know who would be supervising him, taking his fanny pack with his glucometer and berries in case he is low and where and how long they will be walking so I can plan his insulin and snacks as well. Of course, NO ONE got back to me so I did not send him to school and I let them know why but frankly, they don’t care.

So I wish you better luck than I have but just know yours is not the only school and if you do live in the USA you should get the IEP 504 plan for your daughter as she is entitled to it.

Good luck and always feel free to vent…

PS…I wish Canada would get on board with the ADA and 504 plan for kids with diabetes in school. As I mentioned in my reply and reading all of your replies it is so upsetting to know we have no protocol in place yet the U.S. has such great protocols in place and seems like everyone has a nurse at the school. If my son needed a shot or anything during the day like checking his sugars, I would have to go to school. Luckily, he was 8 when diagnosed last year so he was able check his own sugar.

Some moms in Ontario Canada are fighting for diabetic kids in school but I think it is time to write to our government to let them know how their policy(Lack of) stinks…

This is so true. My daughter began her pump in June and so far so good. Yes shes had highs here and there, but over all shes doing better after she was put on the pump. Give it atry, push for it persue it.

I have the same issue here in Miami Dade County. I’ve had a problem with my daughter’s school for the past 2 years. After a while you tend to want to loose your cool with them and push the issue along to the school board. This year I made sure that all her teacher’s knew she’s diabetic and that she needs to have a snack and water with her at all times and that if they had an issue to call me and ask me. I made sure to make them responsible if anything happened to her while she’s in school. They were not too happy about my pushing them and persuing, but they made arrangements for her. Don’t give up and always have your eyes open. They tend to be forgetfull.

Wow! I would be soo scared if that happened to my girl!
I found an interesting website that sells accesories for pumps. www.pumpwearinc. Julie (the owner) has a lot of blogs and videos not only regarding pumps but also situations such as yours. She has 3 children with diabetes and discussed at length some helpful tips on how to work with your school.
I personally homeschool all of my children so it makes it easier to care for Mary, however, I left her with a friend 2 weeks ago and had a very similar experience. She would not give Mary any more food after a low. Thankfully we came to pick her up in the nick of time and she was still low.
I blame myself for not giving better instructions, however I was still very upset.
Some people simply do NOT understand diabetes.
I wish you all the best.