Pic of old vs new pods

Does anyone have a link comparing the size of the old and new pods? Bonus points if it’s actually on a human! I’ve been trying to search the internet, but it turns out my search game is pretty lame.

I finally got to go back to omnipod after an eight year hiatus due to insurance. When I excitedly showed the pod to one of my diabetes-tech-curious coworkers the other day, he exclaimed, “that thing is HUGE!” I laughed and told him he should’ve seen the old one that was the size and shape of an egg! I think he was expecting something the size of my Dexcom, not thinking about the fact it has to actually hold insulin or the size of my other pumps :joy:.

I’d love to show him what the old one was like if someone has a pic!

Not what you were thinking, but here is another Omnipod!!

Assume they renamed it before it was released. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Which pod versions?

I have the UST400 and Dash pods. I can take a pic of them if you need those.

A pic of an arm or leg placement will be cheap. A butt pic will cost you extra. :joy:

4 Likes

generation 1 omnipod

3 Likes

Aaah sweet diabetic nostalgia…I wish I would’ve had the foresight to save one just like I’ve saved one of every other pump version I’ve had. (Normally I love purging my house, but old insulin pumps are one thing I hoard for history’s sake). It’s fun to see how far we’ve come!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you @Brian_J ! I appreciate you taking the time to share this so I can now show others who are curious as well :smiling_face:

1 Like

Is there a price differential between upper, lower, and side butt? :wink:

1 Like

They do know that RV’s have been in existence for a LONG time, right?! :joy::joy::joy:

Oh sorry, I did not know you were looking for one from waaaay back. I never used those. The UST400 was the first one I used.

The UST400 and the Dash are pretty much identical.

Somewhat related to this discussion, I think it’s a bit ridiculous how they make everything smaller except BG meters and phones!

My first BG meter was in the 80’s. It was incredibly small compared to anything you can get today.

This is the one I had:

It’s hard to find web pics of it, but this pic gives an idea of the scale of the thing. It was legitimately the size of a pen.

The only thing close to that in size now is the vial-top tester, which would be great except that its accuracy is horrible.

Sorry for the side-track rant. I just wish they made smaller meters. :man_shrugging:

I love a good sidetrack rant! I think the meter thing has to do with companies trying to cater to older populations and those with low vision. I personally don’t mind the size of the contour next usb meter, but I would LOVE if they made it thinner. I’m not sure how much of a push there is for smaller meters now, though, considering so many younger individuals and those concerned with size are probably on/moving toward CGMs that don’t require calibrating.

I am however, super crabby about phone sizes! I have the iPhone mini and the size is absolutely perfect. It fits in my hands and pockets great, and is still large enough I can comfortably read or watch a movie on it. Sadly, they’re going away because they didn’t sell well. Apple failed to realize this was not likely because of the size but rather, lack of Apple working to continue updating features on smaller models (and from what it sounds like, they could have).

I was planning to get the 13 mini soon before they’re gone, but with the hope of omnipod one day finally having iOS integration, I feel like I should at least get a 14 for the more updated system. Sigh, back to a giant thing whose size just feels like a nuisance.

1 Like

I had that medi sense pen but it was called Exactech back then. It was my first portable meter. The one before weighed 3 lbs and although it took batteries, I just left it plugged in. I can’t remember the name of it but it included putting blood on a strip, then setting a timer and wiping it, setting another timer and then sticking it in the machine. We’ve come a long was since then.

2 Likes

It’s funny when I first started considering Omnipod in 2011 it was referred to as “the nose”. I waited until they made it smaller, lighter, and thinner.

1 Like

contents removed by original author

2 Likes