Ping Pump or Injections?

Hello everyone, I’m new to this community but I really need advice on what to do for my 7 yr old son who has been type 1 for 4 yrs. His control has been great with A1C’s on average of 6.5. He has been on 2 shots of NPH a day since his diagnosis: morning shot 8 units and afternoon shot of 4 units. Humalog has always been an issue for him when we used it. His numbers dropped so quickly it was scary. So we have avoided humalog for about 3½ years. However, with growth spurts his numbers have changed and been in the 300’s and 400’s. My doctor talked about going to 4 shots a day of fast acting insulin or to the One Touch Ping by Animas. None of us want him to be on 4 shots daily. So we are trying our hardest to find research on the Ping and advice from others who had to make these types of choices too. So here are the questions:

1. Do you think the Ping pump would be good for a 7 yr old boy?
  2. What are the benefits of switching to fast acting insulin verses slow acting?
  3. What is the Dexcom that everyone is talking monitor (is this the continuous glucose monitor) and what are your thoughts on it?
  4. What are the pro’s & con’s to the pump verses injections?

I know have so many more questions but my head is spinning right now with all the decisions we need to make. Any help would be appreciated.

A pump is good for any diabetic and especially for kids who are growing and activity changes from summer to school and daily even in school. Fast acting insulins leave the body sooner than the slow acting ones. Are you familiar with the different types of insulins? Normal Regular has a “Peak” 2-3 hours after injecting and leaves the body 6-8 hours later. The logs, HUMALOG AND NOVOLOG, have “Peak” 45 minutes-1 hour leave the body in 5-6 hours. NPH has 2 “Peaks” , one about 2 hours after injecting and the second about 7-8 hours after injecting. Another insulin called Lantus has no peaks and lasts 24-28 hours according to package inserts. With this insulin, Regular or a LOG, is used to cover carbs for meals. The Dexcom is something I’m not too familiar with and the Pros and Cons of pump vs. injections are dependent on the person using the pump or the injections. My own pros are: I can eat a lot if I’m hungry or very little if I’m not, I can change the bolus amounts (the amount you get throughout the day and night) for exercise and illness, I can decide at any given moment to splurge on something like ice cream or a sundae and can actually eat it within 10 minutes (I use Apidra) and nighttime lows are less common with my pump. The pump can be placed on the abdomen, thigh, arm, back, or hips. I have less scar tissue to deal with. It is only one poke every 3-4 days as opposed to Multiple Daily Injections, but he will still need to check his glucose levels throughout the day and for feelings that aren’t normal to him. My only con is that sometimes the tape doesn’t stick when I’m swimming or becomes dislodged when I am changing my clothes after swimming. It only took a few nights having it hooked to me to get used to sleeping with it.

Thank you so much!!!

Since your son is on 2 shots NPH already. I might start out with 2 shots of Lantus 1 every 12 hours.
I would then try to find out when he needs some humalog maybe at dinner or lunch. You need to
experiment how much Humalog he needs to cover certain foods. I know it’s hard for a 7 year old
but try to teach him some on carbohydrates and how they act upon his diabetes. I feel that it’s
good to start out with Lantus and Humalog before going on a pump. You have to educate yourself
on how Humalog works on your son. Start with small doses and test frequently to see how your
son’s sugars react to certain doses. You will have to bring your doctor into the mix to figure out
the correct dosage. During this time you or your son will have to test often.
Good luck with whatever you and your doctor decide on the treating of your son’s Diabetes.

Great feedback from everyone on injections vs pump. I use the Ping and I love it. If he is willing to test often then the pump could help. Check out the site that Arielle suggested. That will help alot I think

The DexCom is a continuous glucose monitor that helps you see trends with BGs. This will be a separate system from the pump. Right now if you went with a Ping and a DexCom system then your son will have 2 devices he will have to carry around (the pump and the Dex receiver) and he will have an infusion site for the pump and a separate sensor site for the Dex. Animas is planning to integrate with the DexCom soon so that the trend info will be on the pump screen and not on a separate receiver. No word when that is coming out. That being said, I don’t mind carrying around the dex receiver as it helps me catch BG swings before they get out of hand. I have hypo unawareness to this is really helpful for me. It helps me adjust my insulin needs much easier than before. The insulin sensors are painless for me, they just don’t hurt going in and they last forever! They are approved for 7 days but I regularly get closer to 14 days per sensor with no issues.

Look into the omnipod as well, in terms of pumps…it has no tubing, and numerous kids love that idea…and you should look into medtronic as well for tubed pumps…medtronic has CGMS in its pumps…

www.myomnipod.com

I have been pumping for 4 years with Medtronic, and actually may be switching over to the Omnipod…the tubeless pump is great from my experience…I am actually being able to use 3 live Pods w/ insulin

look into all of the pumps not just the animas…each have their own benefits, some in common with each other, but then some that are pump specific

BC