PLB - Personal Locator Beacon

I have not seen this topic in the past but feel it is relevant to this forum. Does anyone have experience with PLB’s? They are becoming more and more common as their prices keep dropping and features keep growing. About one year ago I went out for my daily 8-12 mile walk up the mountain behind my house and during that time collapsed. At that time I thought about a PLB but then it completely slipped my mind until yesterday I had another collapse.

The first event happened the same day I got my Covid booster shot and yesterday was after getting my first shingles Shingrex shot, so now it is back at the top of my mind.

Both times I was lucky, that I collapsed in my final mile home, along the highway, and a good samaritan promptly stopped to help. Both times they strongly suggested they call an ambulance which I told them I did not need, but would just need a ride home for the last mile and I would be OK, which is what took place.

On the mountain, I would not have been so lucky and if the weather had been inclement, a less-than-positive outcome could have ensued.

So I started looking at PLB’s again and see some have Emergency Locator Only and that would be a waste of local resources. Others are available with one or two-way text, some with voice, some are subscription-based, and others not.

In the grand scheme of things, in the $200-$400 range these units appear to be reasonably priced for peace of mind, where cell phones can not easily pinpoint offroad locations.

Any discussion on this topic would be greatly appreciated and hopefully beneficial to others.

1 Like

So glad that you are ok CJ. I am due for my covid booster and my first shingles shot, so this is a good reminder to take it easy after getting the vaccinations.

I am impressed that you make that long of a walk up a mountain everyday. That is fantastic. It sounds like a PLB would be a must in your situation. I can’t see myself in a situation where I would need it, but it sounds like a great idea for others. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

1 Like

I’ve just ordered a Garmin inreach 2 Mini which has tracking and SOS plus texting (with your phone). The “safety” plan is $20.00 a month (Canadian) and the recreation plan with a few more features is $45.00 monthly, or $35.00 monthly for a whole year. All plans require in addition activation cost of another $45.00 annually.

I will be well out of reach for some of my upcoming adventures so I need something.

I looked at some other options but the size, cost and convenience won this one over for me.

1 Like

Interesting. I am in the city but if i were not I would seriously considered it

I carry an ACR PLB while backpacking. I chose to use this rather than one of the Garmin GPS devices because of the network/system used.

The SOS/Emergency section of the link below describes and ranks the options well. The devices that utilize the COSPAS-SARSAT system are ranked highest.

If I was going to hike in the same area all the time, then I might contact the NPS or area administrator and ask their recommendation.

I’ve never had to use my PLB, but it adds some peace of mind.

1 Like

I am glad you like the ACR - I have been looking most seriously at the ACR ResQLink™ 400 as it has everything I need and it is subscription free:
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-400/

1 Like

The iPhone 14 in all versions and the upcoming iPhone 15 all come equipped with Emergency SOS satellite uplink alerts now. If you truly are in the back country or up a mountain, that may come in handy for you. I like that idea because as long as I have to have my phone with me anyway, having that built in means I have one less device to carry. And no monthly or extra charges beyond your phone plan.

Agreed. The problem is I’m much more likely to need some kind of help, but not necessarily the “search and rescue” kind. Maybe the “spare tire for my motorcycle” kind.

I agree, the last thing you want is to need a “spare tire” but ambulance, helicopter, and fire services arrive. That is why I am mainly interested in a PLB with texting abilities so that I can call for “low level” help, not the full Monty

If you have a smartphone there are Medical ID apps and phone features for that.

I have an Android Medical ID app that has widget and a lockscreen launcher with buttons to call 911 and send SMS messages. It also has links to pre-selected phone numbers. I have location sharing enabled and shared with those persons. It also has GPS location, street address, and links to google maps showing the closest hospitals.

1 Like

I’m more focussed on the (many) places I go where there is no cellphone service.

I do have a satellite phone but it’s for work. I take it with me when traveling now but after I retire I won’t have access to it any more. And I don’t want to spend the $1,000.00 per year for that.

A Garmin inteach costs half that annually, gives me two way texting ability, and SOS with GPS if I should need it.