POLL: Do you do intermittent fasting?

Watched few videos of Dr.Jason Fund and got inspired :slight_smile:

I started with 2 meals yesterday and feel really good.

Today is my second day.

I have breakfast at 7 am , lunch at 12 and after that nothing except water.
So far, so good!

1 Like

Hey everyone, I wrote about following the IF program. Hope you enjoy it, and/or it helps! https://nyti.ms/2JV5FHd
You too @Terry4

4 Likes

Well done, Larissa! Your observations about your time restricted eating align well with mine. This paragraph resonated with me.

What I personally know is this: When I’m fasting, my mental clarity is a boon to my work, and my blood sugar has less variability — a side effect that’s a payoff for all (studies have shown that blood glucose variability is a good marker for the likelihood of a risk to developing diabetes). Then, when I’m sleeping, my blood sugar remains in a more constant, healthier range, without the usual food-related surprises.

Since I write almost every day, it serves as a concrete proxy for my cognitive health. Composing, turning kernels of thought into words, sentences and a logical flow of ideas works best when my body is unburdened with digestion. The hours between getting up and a late morning breakfast can be especially productive for me.

Too often, people focus on what they’re trading away and not on the tangible benefits they accrue. I think limiting the hours of food consumption can give your body a break from the constant onslaught of three meals plus snacks each and every day. The rhythm of this way of eating makes so much sense to me.

If you want to be a better you, give time limited eating a try. It’s improved the quality of my life.

By the way, I think I met Dr. Kushner at the Low Carb Denver conference last March. I agree with his take on ketogenic eating and diabetes. This way of eating, combined with time restricted eating are a powerful match.

Thanks for posting your NYT link.

3 Likes

Only the individual decides how much and how often to eat. If anyone is facing a “constant onslaught” of food, that is their own choice. The simple solution is to eat sensible portions, to stop eating once satisfied, and to not eat when not hungry. No one is holding a gun to your head.

I am a considered a prediabetic since 2014. At one point my doctor and I thought I might be LADA since I have both Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and celiac disease. I am definitely insulin resistance and experiment with my diet using a cheap meter from Walmart. I have been able to keep my A1c at 5.9, 5.8 and 5,7 on a LCHF diet.

Last Fall, Hubby and I started to gain weight. Just enough to have to consider buying new clothes. I am very active (cycle, run, walk, swim and even teach few gym classes (water aerobics and Silver Sneakers…at least did until COVID 19). I decided to do intermittent fasting and followed a mostly LCHF diet (not Keto). It worked.

Since my university student came home to do online classes, I have been baking and consuming way too many carbs. I have started to regain my lost weight. My physical came due this month. I went for lab work. Everything was outstanding. I am not even anemic (issues when celiac disease is active or I also have Thalassemia (mild). The startling fact is that my A1c was 5.5! And I was not adhering to the LCHF diet! All that ice cream, chips, popcorn, GF baked goods, and rice I was consuming but I still stuck to a 12 to 16 hour fast faithfully. The most difficult thing was to drink my coffee black in the mornings which was resolved when I found a really good coffee bean.

I just wanted to share this information. I had watched Dr. Jason Fung for years, but hesitated to try the diet. I was worried that not much research had been done on women and fasting.

So, it might be possible that TD2 patients who live in a food desert, can use fasting as a means of improving their blood sugar.

I will mention that my celiac disease has been in remission for a few years based on repeat intestinal biopsies.

Your thoughts?

3 Likes

I do this as well. I drink a coffee at 7 AM then a refill at 10 AM (no cream or sweetener). Then have a good dinner at 5:00 PM. I have no problem doing this but added the 10 AM coffee to ward off the urge to eat lunch.

1 Like

I wish I could learn to enjoy black coffee!! I can HANDLE it black, but not without sweetener. I don’t eat breakfast, but I do have 2 large cups of coffee with a total of 3T cream and 3 Splenda packets (and it took a lot for me to get down to that low of an amount of Splenda).

Even though I guess it’s not TRUE IF, I still experience far better BG’s skipping breakfast.

2 Likes

One meal a day (OMAD) has a positive influence on my morning blood sugar. If I start out good in the morning the rest of the day is usually good. Just skipping breakfast does not help. Still I have to mix it up because if I do OMAD all the time my metabolism adjusts and I loose the benefits. Tip: green tea is very effective in blunting hunger for me

3 Likes