Prednisone -- I should know better

I have osteoarthritis in my fingers, to the point that my knuckles look like knots of red and points. They hurt from being swollen. I also have type 2 diabetes, with Humalog, Lantus and Janumet as my diabetic meds. Okay, here's the thing, I went to see doc (my regular doc) about the knuckles because they had white like pimples meaning they were infected....my numbers have been oh so good, between 80 and 127 for three months...she said there was only one thing that would take down the swelling and give my hands a chance to heal and deal with the arthritis....that being prednisone,. UH, it's a steroid...and I know I shouldn't do steroids, we talked about it for awhile, I told her my experience in dealing with cortisone injections and my numbers....and she said it would be a short time --- 7 - 10 days...use my insulins all the time during that period..don't hesitate to use them. So the first AM I started to have high 200's; then 300's and now tonight I have a 367 --- with my normal diabetic diet, exercise and lots of water....OMG!~ Do I keep going, yes the fingers are going to hurt....I've dealt with this on my own before..,.without steroids....and less attention to medications, eating, exercise and water. Ideas? Mine is to make tomorrow be my last day of steroids....and then work on getting numbers back to normal...and dealing with the pain, and infection and inflamation with IBprofen and hot packs. Am I wrong, do I keep up with 5 more days of steroids....and hope I am not harming my liver and kidneys? I am sick and lost about all of this. On one hand I am very independent --- but on the other, I don't want to lose my fingers either. This is enough, I need a calming down.

Yeah, steroids wreak havoc on bg control. I, too, have had to have steroid shots for arthritis (knees, shoulders, foot) and for trigger fingers in my hands. The one thing I've found is that once your numbers go up from steroids, it's very hard to get them down until the steroids get out of your system.

On the other hand, I've found a way to prevent them from going up in the first place. I'm on a pump, so when I get a steroid shot, I IMMEDIATELY increase my basal insulin to about 130% of normal. I don't know how much lantus you take, but if you're going to be getting more shots, you could increase the dose, and possibly also use more humalog for meals. Without knowing your regular routine, it's hard to guess exactly how much to increase (and whether or not you should increase both your basal and bolus insulins), but at this point, I would wait until your numbers come back to normal before even trying any more steroids. Even t2's can spill ketones, and the last thing you want is to end up in DKA. So I'd wait until your numbers come back to normal, figure out how to increase your insulin to deal with the steroid, and then...and only then...would I get another shot.

Ruth

I would stop the steroids, drink a lot of water and make sure you are getting excellent nutrition AND glucose and fat control. Ask someone who has the same problems and is successful what they are doing. Experiment. I think anti-inflammatory substances an autoimmune boosting substances not steroids might be helpful.

if you’re allowed to take blood thinners, try adding turmeric to your diet. It is a spice. I take it daily and it is more effective for inflammation and swelling than nsaids and has no side effects. It also knocks my numbers down. Might be worth a try.