Prescriptions for Insulin and Test Strips

Hi,
I have Type I diabetes, and am experiencing difficulty obtaining correct insulin, test strips prescriptions from my doctor’s office. I feel alone with this problems. My endocrinologist treats me for type I diabetes, and he is a new doctor. I explained that I need correct amounts of insulin, test strips, lancets for a 90 day supply. He readily agreed. Somehow, though, and I don’t know why, but, the office keeps making mistakes.

For example, they forgot to put through the test strips and lancets. I order all three supplies together. It is frustrating that I have to call the doctor’s office again, and find out why they didn’t put it through. I have provided them with very clear directions on what I need. I even gave them a copy of my previous order.

I have been through seeing so many endocrinologists, that it is like a stage rehearsal. They all promise to get my prescriptions correct, but then they mess it up. This medicine keeps me alive, yet, people act like it is no big deal. I am sick from the mistakes that get made. I get high blood sugars. Is there a doctor out there who will help me by taking care of my prescriptions accurately, while I am in the office, and showing me that he/she is putting them in correctly?

My last endocrinologist kept writing the wrong daily dosage for a 90 day supply. When I brought it to her attention, she got defensive. After I went to another endocrinologist (who was awesome), for a year I had to return to her, because the awesome endocrinologist left the state. I can’t win.

Now I have to call the endocrinologist office on Monday and I really feel like screaming at them, but, I know that won’t help. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks for listening

Find a good CDE and make a friend. My CDE saves my behind many times a year because I need scripts filled quickly or someone makes a mistake. I hope you find a good resolution.

rick

This is why i have my primary doctor fill my prescriptions, my diabetes doc just forwards him chart-notes but all of my rxs are written at the primary care clinic… They do a really good job of taking care of rxs… I either just walk in the door and fill out a slip of paper they call a “prescription request” and drop it in a little mailbox or I call and leave a message. They don’t always call back, but whatever I needed is always squared away by the next day.

Also just to make my life easier I buy my own test strips out of pocket and lancets. 1/3 the headache… And I get as many as I want of the kind I want with nobody to answer to. I prefer it that way.

I am fortunate, my endocrinologist is responsive and her office gets the order right. I have two suggestions. First, you can of course get your prescriptions written by a GP. You can tell your endo that there have been too many mistakes and while she can provide you with recommendations on your treatment (and provide that to your GP) that you need a more responsive and reliable source to write your prescriptions. And then just find a GP that can do the job for you.

The second suggestion is to make this whole thing someone elses problem. You know what you need. Get it written on prescription paper at the endo visit and then make it the problem of the pharmacy. The pharmacy can contact your doctor to get prescriptions renewed. You don’t even need to visit the doctor. Note that some endos still want you to visit them regularly but if you make the prescription someone elses problem you can also make fixing mistakes someone elses problem.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your advice. You have offered me many options to solve this problem. The CDE said she doesn’t help with this problem, and referred me to call the prescription phone line - I really just want to give up.

My General Practitioner refused twice to write prescriptions, because he said he is unfamiliar with the insulin pump. I have a third endocrinologist that I saw in October, and he seemed to be good doctor. He said to log onto the patient portal, and the email will go directly to him, and he will fill it thru CVS Caremark. I think my best bet at this point is to do that.

If that doesn’t work, I am going to visit the nearest Emergency Room. I have had Type I for 44 years, and so, I really don’t understand why it is such a problem for me to stay alive. I live in Philadelphia, does anyone have a recommendation for a good GP or Endo?

Thank you,