Pumping Day 4: laying new cable

I just changed my infusion set for myself for the first time. I would have done it yesterday, except I had random shopping that happened most of the day, so by the time I had a reasonable space of time, it was today. One of my worries starting on the pump was the adhesive, but so far so good. There's a series of concentric circles where my first set was, like a bullseye on my abdomen, but no problem areas.

But this morning, I was running high for hours. I wonder if I maybe had an air bubble, because it didn't clear up from 7 when I woke up until after 10. I was worried that I might have left it in too long and it went bad or something, but I also switched up my breakfast--finally at 10, it started going down, which was good because I was at church and I knew I didn't have the ability to do anything about it except possibly take out a syringe.

My only real issue changing the set was with the inserter--I accidently pushed it in before I had taken off the backing so that it could be sticky, but that wasn't that hard a fix. And then there was the small mountain of garbage created by a site change. This time I'm trying above my waistband.

It's amazing. I keep on feeling a little something digging into my abdomen, and I think, that must be the infusion set, and then I run my fingers over the place, and it's actually where the pump is resting on my waistband. I never thought that would be the main irritant in this process.

Ah well. Today the kids are coming over, which will be fun and tiring at the same time. And I need to take a nap before they do.

Congrats on your first successful infusion set change! I just started the pump about a year ago. I promise it gets easier! One thing that I continue to forget to this day is to take off the needle cover. Sometimes I don’t realize until my bs is way high and it’s very frustrating. I would not worry about your sugar going hi for leaving it in for an extra day or two that shouldn’t do it. What I find if I leave it in to long is that the site gets very itchy and when I take it out there may be a raised bump. So, leaving the site in to long is not really advised. But, good luck, I’m sure you will love the pump!

On the plus side, the site took. On the minus side, I know because I was 68 just before dinner and the pump gave me a snide comment about eating before I bolus, which I mostly ignored. And then, I was 98 two hours after dinner, and I'm starting to think I know what I'm doing until I'm 168 two hours after that, no food--I really think I need to dial up my basal in the evening and keep it up all night, but I want to do a fasting test to confirm. I'm going to be running around campus all day tomorrow, so maybe that'll help.

Well as u know…every day is different. See what the patterns are before making any adjustments!

I'm finding that small 0.1-0.3u changes to my basal rates can have a big effect. My biggest surprise in figuring out basal rates is my lowest rate turns out to be from 11pm to midnight to offset a dip between 1am and 1:30am...it is as if my body notices I'm sleeping and cuts off glucose production.

I'm not planning drastic changes--right now, my rate is .400/hour. I'm thinking I might need to bump up to like .425/hour sometime in the 3-6am area. I'm also noticing a lower trend in the afternoons, which could mean dropping to .375/hour between 1-4 in the afternoon. Part of my problem is that I don't keep steady meals--yesterday I woke up at 7, breakfast at 7:30, lunch at 1:30, nap, dinner at 6:30--today, I woke up at 6, breakfast at 6:30, lunch at 12, major walk to the store, dinner at 8:30. Both schedules are fairly typical.

However, I'm not going to do it right away. I need more data points to confirm there's a problem. On the plus side, I have an endo appointment on Wednesday, and I'll talk to her about it, and I'm going to see the pump lady again the Wednesday after that (which is like three weeks in a row at the doctor's but only one co-pay) and then we'll have a whole series of data points to look at instead of isolated randoms.

Good luck,at youmappt. I have one on Thursday myself. I wore a continual glucose meter for one week so it will be interesting to see what info that gives!