Pushing Limits

I ran 7 miles this morning! While this is not particularly remarkable in the grand scheme, to me it is because it is the longest I have ever run. It is also remarkable because I was able to hold my blood sugar nice and steady (140, 117, 117, 143) using a new carb source (sport beans) and a 50% basal rate. It was also great because I tried out my new Amphipod belt, which holds two 8 oz. water bottles, my glucose meter, test strips, lancing device, sport beans, $10 bill, and last but not least a folded up paper towel. Maybe next time I’ll see if I can fit some duct tape in there too :slight_smile: Really, it is amazing all we as diabetics have to think about to do something simple like running. I guess we also have the potential to experience more “victories” when everything comes together. Of course, even with planning, it doesn’t always work out that way.

Wow that is a great accomplishment, exercise is so hard for me as I suffer from hypoglycemic unawareness. How much in advance did you lower your basal and what are sport beans??

Congrats, that is a major major accomplishment in my diabetic book and to run 7 miles, in my life book as well.

Karen

Hi Karen, yes, exercise would be much harder with hypo unawareness. I’m still pretty aware, but sometimes exercise can mask the symptoms, so I test every 30 to 40 minutes on training runs. I lower the basal 50% starting 1 hour ahead of time and keep it there for the duration of the run. Sport beans are basically jelly beans w/ electrolytes + vitamin C and B. I had been using glucose tabs, but they are so dry and hard to choke down on the run. Thanks for the congrats, and I hope that maybe you can find an exercise routine that works for you.

I want some sport beans! I just stopped a workout as I am at 56…Congrats on being so strong and aware!