Questions before I commit to Animas

My meeting with my team has just been pushed back a month so I have a lot more time to obsess over my pump choice.

I have a few things that I'm unclear on about the Ping before I can decide which pump to get:

1. How much overlap is there in functionality between the pump and the remote? Can I use it like a minimed without the remote and can I use it like an Omnipod or Spirit Combo without touching the pump?

2. How much insulin do I need to be taking before the 200U reservoir is too small? How often do you refill/change sites?

3. Can anyone in Canada comment on their service/support?

4. Any reliability issues? I read a lot on here about failures for the new gen of Minimeds and for omnipods but no real mention of problems in this group. Are they that much more reliable or are minimed/omnipod users just whinier?

5. Any reason you, as a Ping user, can think of that I may or may not want the same device over a minimed, Omnipod or Spirit Combo?

I've had my Ping for over 2 years and not once have I regretted my decision.

In answer to your questions:
1. Whenever I don't have my glucometer/remote with me I just pull out my Ping and take care of everything. The wonderful thing is though that most days I can hide my pump in a pretty inaccessible place (down in my boot, for example) and take care of everything through my remote.

2. I fill my reservoir and then use it until it's gone. For me that just happens to be about every 3 days. If you use less, I've heard of people who go 4 or 5 days without trouble.

3. Can't comment on that.

4. In all this time I've had maybe 2 times that my Ping gave me a no delivery warning. I simply primed it a couple of units and all was well. Not being athletic or anything maybe I'm easier on them than others but I really haven't had ANY problems.

5. Can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't go with a Ping.

Enjoy!!!

I've been using the ping for about a year and a half, I love it very much.

I dont know much about the omnipod so I cant comment on the functionality of the remote in comparison, but the ping meter remote allows you to bolus right from it.

You test your sugar, then press bolus and enter your carbs (if you're eating) and then it calculates your bolus and delivers it.

One difference from my old paradigm 722, the sugar result stays in the meter, but doesn't transfer to the pump, so if you choose to bolus from the pump instead of the meter you have to manually enter your sugar.

Also you can adjust basal rates from the meter remote, you have to do that on the pump. But the software that comes with it allows you to create your basal patterns on the computer and transfer to the pump (the software leaves alot to be desired however).

Canadian costumer service...aside from my contact with them when ordering my pump I haven't had to call them at all. Pump has been extremely reliable, never had to call them for anything. I get my supplies from my local pharmacy, so I cant comment on service for ordering supplies, although my pharmacy did have a bit of an issue setting up an account with them in the beginning (they really want patients to order direct from them, I don't see the difference, they still get their money??)

oh one more thing...about how many units, you're supposed to change out your set every 3 days, so 200/3= about 66 units per day. If you use more than that you may have an issue.
I use around 40-50 per day.

are you already on a pump?

Thanks. This is great.

I use about 60 units on MDI right now.
I'm not on a pump yet and every day I change my mind about which one I want (this isn't new for me -- I do the same when buying a car, computer or USB flash drive)

Badgerpapa,

You have considered some of the same questions that I did when I first chose my pump.

1. . How much overlap is there in functionality between the pump and the remote? Can I use it like a minimed without the remote and can I use it like an Omnipod or Spirit Combo without touching the pump?

The pump can be controlled totally by the meter, at the pump, or a combination of both. I almost always bolus from the meter, but like the idea of a pump bolus if I eat something and am not able to test first. the meter also has a customizable food catalog in it where you can check the carbs of your food. I think it is pretty handy.

2 How much insulin do I need to be taking before the 200U reservoir is too small? How often do you refill/change sites?

I found that I use a little bit less insulin overall with the pump. I was a set amount of Lantus each day, and on a carb count calculation with meals and a correction shot two hours after. Seven shots per day is not fun. I was taking about 65 units per day and now with the pump I am at about 45-50, and sometimes less. I change the infusion set and reservoir every three to three and a half days. Really, you don't want to leave them in the same place any longer than that. They begin to itch and the site tends to loose its absorbtion effectiveness.

3. Can anyone in Canada comment on their service/support?

Sorry, I live close to Canada, in Minnesota!

4. . Any reliability issues? I read a lot on here about failures for the new gen of Minimeds and for omnipods but no real mention of problems in this group. Are they that much more reliable or are minimed/omnipod users just whinier?

Early on, I ruled out the Omnipod for two reasons. First, its documented failure reputation. If a pod fails, all the insulin in that pod is not recoverable. Second, in my line of work, I am afraid that the pod would be knocked off by someone or something. I think the Spirit is too new, and needs someone other than me to test it. The MiniMed is a good pump. I like some of the features, such as the colour screen, the food catalog in the meter, the fail-safe programming and the remote features of the Animas Ping much better. Their customer service has been wonderful. I like the programmable warning tones and the Diasend software. It is very easy to use.

As I was nearing a decision, Minimed got a little pushy and the sales rep and I did not get along. Over-all I think the Mini-Med and the Animas are identical in quality. I know Minimed's software is good too. I liked the Animas better because it looked like an easier pump to run, fill and program. The Animas is the only pump on the marked that is titally waterproof. That isn't a big deal to me, but accidents happen and that is one less thing to worry about. The training was done by the salesman, who is a RN/CDE. The Animas package was also a bit cheaper.

I am totally happy with my Animas Ping and how it has brought me back into good control. My endo is equally impressed with how this pump has helped me. Nobody could take it away without a fight.

Good luck. I think you will love the Animas Ping.

Brian Wittman

I just got the Ping, but can attest to animas through my experience with the 2020. You can use the pump withtout the remote, BUT inly the remote has the food database. This is the main feature I am disappointed with, as my 2020 held the database in the pump. Since I hate One Touch, this means I now have to carry 2 meters in order to get my boluses accurate.

That being said, I still prefer Animas to my previous experience with Minimed.
When on MiniMed, I had to have the pump replaced yearly, that was with 2 different models. My 2020 I had for 6yrs with no replacement, it finally died this year forcing me to upgrade.

Everyones insulin sensitivity is different. When I switched from MDI, I actually needed less than they had thought I would. When I switched to Animas, I ended up using about 15u less a day than I had on the Minimed due to the different administration & able to fine tune the settings better.

Im in the states so cant comment on Canadian support, but the Customer Service I have received from Animas has been better than the support I had with MiniMed. I did have an issue with ordering my new pump, but I asked for a supervisor & it was corrected immediately. These days, thats the best you can hope for with Customer service. Whatever pump you go with, you will find it was the best decision you made!

the food database is not available in Canada (or it wasn't)
you can manually enter foods if you want, I have yet to be bothered doing this yet

The food data base is cumbersome to use so I don’t use it. Also the software to upgrade it is no longer compatible with my computer so I need to use Diasend which only downloads the pump.

You can only bolus from the meter remote with Animas and it communicates with radio frequency so it’s sometimes slow and will drop communication. The Canadian version may be different than what we have in the US though I know you have a better remote than we do for Animas so may not apply to you. From what I’ve heard the Accuchek Combo remote uses Bluetooth and also has the ability to set some basal functions from the remote.

That being said I’m very happy with my Animas pump and have no regrets that I changed from Minimed.

I have had my Ping for almost 4 years.I had the 2020 before this one and I loved the feature of the food database in the pump.The meter for the Ping I found was a little too big and I found there was too much scrolling through the food items.I preferred my Freestyle Lite as it has a portlight for basal testing at night and it fits in the palm of your hand.The Animas people are fantastic.I have nothing bad to say about them.When I found a cheaper place to get my insets,they gave me my insets at the same price.

I went with a Tslim this time, for reasons not related to the actual Ping. My Ping has lasted for 8 years, but now it thinks it is 2007 when you change the battery. Also, you do not have to change cartridges/reservoirs necessarily when you change your needle sites. I always changed sites at three days, cartridge at 7. Make sure you dont want/need a 300 unit pump before you buy!!! It helps to see the different pumps and get the feel of them. I sent the Combo back because it didnt have what I need or what I use (the service was great tho!).