Quit smoking and high sugars

Hi all,

2 weeks ago I quit smoking, I have noticed that my sugars were getting high, I thought it was just a short term once I had quit then I put my pod on my arm so thought it was high from that but now I have it on my belly and it is still high, like 10, 11 even 12mmols has anyone else experience this and if so what did they do? I thought about changing it but then I did get a good reading so left it but it just does not seem to go down. I am not stressed after quitting, or having terrible withdrawals due to the treatment I used for quitting (laser therapy) after 30 some odd years thought I am sure my body is saying WTF, unsure what to do. worried if I change it then my sugars will return to normal and put me in a dangerous low, I am still not comfortable yet changing the settings on the PDM as it is so different from needles.

Sarah

dishers,

Congrats on quitting!

Keep with it, and don't worry about PDM changes. Just consult with your doc or diabetes educator before hand is the only recommendation I can give there. The PDM is made for adjusting and moving around to fit lifestyle changes, and you've got a doozy of a change right now. Some changes take a little longer for your body and your control methods to equalize to a normal level. In just switching to Omnipod about 1 1/2 years ago, I've seen that it did take my system a while to adjust and for me to see and understand what is what with control under the pods. For example, I'm a bit sick from a seasonal cold right now. First time I've been sick since starting Omnipod, so I'm learning right now how that works. It's different. Really different. Give it time, and keep working at it. You'll get there.

Congratulations on quitting smoking!

I quit smoking last year, December 6, nearing my one-year anniversary. I am a newly (May 2013) diagnosed Type 1 - LADA (February 2013 I was diagnosed with Diabetes), so I can't help you much with the changes you're experiencing and if they are due to quitting smoking or not.

However, for what it is worth, there have been some theories that quitting may have been the trigger (for me) coupled with the fact I replaced cigarettes with pounds of fresh fruit to satisfy my hand to mouth habit.

It could just be coincidence and your increase in BG is due to the change in weather; different eating, sleeping, or activity patterns; hormone levels; vitamin D levels; ..., and/or gremlins

Again, congratulations ... nonetheless ... help or no help ... quitting smoking is a huge feat!

Thanks Scott and Tapestry, The only thing that has changed is the no smoking, maybe chewing gum but that is low in carb and not chewing enough of it to cause high blood sugar, lol
this is in the morning and evening's mostly so thinking it could be just the changes, normally I would know who to send my sugars to but I have been fazed out of the one centre and not sure who I should send my sugars to. my Endo is 4h away and the diabetic centre is also, (next appointment Jan 6) we do have one here, guess I better get on the horn and see if they will help me. usually they don't if another clinic is caring for you. so guess I will see, will look into it just in case they don't go down. The only other thing I can think of is I have been in more pain lately again (nerve damage over entire body). maybe my meds need adjusting. hmmmm
dang frustrating if you ask me. LOL

Smoking reduces the capillary blood flow. It's that blood flow that takes the insulin from the injection site throughout the body. Less capillary blood flow means slower spread of insulin from the cannula and (effectively) more delay before you see the effects, particularly after a pod change.

Stopping smoking should stop that short-term effect; so it changes *something*. It's a bit counter-intuitive that this would lead to highs rather than lows, but who knows.

I would be surprised if endocrinologists didn't know about this; it would affect diabetics using MDI as well as pumps. All the same it's probably just a matter of adjusting basal rates and timing of boluses carefully to lessen and then eliminate the effects.

Of course the laser therapy might have an effect too. It works by stimulating endorphin production and it seems to me that could quite easily have an effect on the blood sugar of a diabetic.

You're most welcome :)

Pain is known to increase blood sugars in some people.

I would call your Endo who is four hours away and see if they aren't able to assist you over the phone. My Endo is almost an hour away, but I am able to call and seek help that way.

You could also contact Gary Scheiner at http://integrateddiabetes.com/

He has a practice in Pennsylvania, but also does remote, phone/Skype/..., appointments.