Recently diagnosed with T1. please help

Many thanks for your kind words. We are from New Zealand we dont have sleep camps i dont think .

Metteryogy,

I am also so sorry. It will be very hard at first, and at 5 months post diagnosis, it still breaks my heart. It is nothing short of traumatic as a parent. There is a lot to learn, and much to read, often through tears. Get the support you need from your medical team, there are some amazing experts out there. Get support for you, too. You family and friends may not get it...finding people around you who do is key. Take each day as it comes. My son is now 12, diagnosed at 11. Message me if you like. -Jennifer

Very few, it seems, but you may check this page.
http://www.diabetesyouth.org.nz/camps-and-events/

My youngest boy was diagnosed at 7 years of age...almost 5 years ago. 2 years after his dx, my oldest was dx at age 17. Insane! I drank a bottle of wine that day. All by myself. The pain, anger, confusion and grief will diminish with time. I can hardly believe how far we've come since my youngest was dx. Now he's on the OmniPod pump and doing great. The oldest is still on injections. Education is key. Learn all you can. I am sure you have excellent medical resources in NZ as we do in Canada. Good luck to you and always remember that there is a lot of support here from people grappling with the same issues as you.

You are feeling everything you should feel and you are doing everything you should do. It has only been a week. His blood sugar will be all over the place and it will seem as though you aren't dosing correctly. This is only because it is impossible to dose correctly and not because you are doing anything wrong. Just respond to the BS readings and call the doctor every time you have a question. We called constantly for the first few months. Don't be too upset about a BS in the 200's. It is normal to see those numbers especially in the beginning. Our daughter will be 7 years old this week. She was diagnosed at 4 yrs old. We have all the latest technology and we still see numbers in the 200's daily. Please don't worry that you aren't doing a good job. You are an amazing mom and you are doing a great job. Be kind to yourself and take time to learn and adjust. It really does get better. Hugs to you.

I'm not a parent, but I have to jump in here. Tell your son that diabetes is no reason he can't realize his dream of being an endocrinologist. Endocrinologist Richard K. Bernstein is a Type 1 diabetic and a prominent pioneer in the management and control of diabetes, and he didn't even become a doctor until he was in his forties!

I can't think of anyone better qualified to follow that career path than someone who has this crazy disease and who can related to patients as one who "gets it." Nor can I imagine anyone being more motivated! Tell your son he can be whatever he wants to be!

First, I have to agree with everything that's been said!

Here are a couple of things you might want to look at. This is a new group here at TuD where members have told their stories. Here is one of many, many lists of accomplished people with T1D (google for more!).

We're so glad you found us ;)

Hi Michelle - Seems like you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I have a 15 year old son who was diagnosed just 19 days ago and feel like we have spent those days on auto pilot as we learn how to deal with all of this. I think your son will make a wonderful and compassionate endocrinologist because he will have empathy and understanding for his patients that no other doctor could possibly have. My son also has bi-lateral hearing aides and once he received them he decided that he wanted to be an audiologist so that he could help other children hear the things that he missed out on.

I am new to the groups and just trying to navigate my way around so if you would like to chat more please let me know.

Take care,
Lisa