Recipe substitution for corn syrup?

Has anyone come up with a successful substitute for light corn syrup (or even the newer “lite” light corn syrup) in baked goods? Thanks!

It somewhat depends. If you are using it as simply a sweetener then you can replace a cup of corn syrup with a cup (equivalent) of artificial sweetener and a cup of water.

But often recipes call for corn syrup as a thickener, like in a pecan pie. In that case I would add a thickener, like guar gum or even cornstarch. But I must caution, one reason for using corn syrup is that as it cooks down it resists crystallization, you may not get the same consistency of results if that is the core reason that a recipe calls for corn syrup.

Agave nectar might be worth a try… still has a lot of carbs though

I never use corn syrup or eat corn (as much as I like to) because it is an insulin inhibitor as are peanuts…I find I can usually substitute most recipe’s out for juices (pear when I could get it was the best as very little went a long way) today I use pear jam or pear puree and if it needs extra sweetness try making your own simple syrup by diluting one spoon honey or maple (like I said I use mostly pear or other juices or coconut milk I use to use coconut sugar because it was low glycemic index but that is a lie in the long run as it will still up the blood sugar although good to take around for when your too low.) Honey works but remember that most recipes that have corn syrup are going to cause problems down the line…or at least that is my experience just remember that there is a reason ( I thought it bogus till I tried it) that most recipes call for a pinch of salt, according to a friend who ran a bakery its to bring out the sweetness so make sure you put that tiny pinch in…Agave as someone here pointed out works well but it also spikes the blood sugar or so I have found. If I knew the recipe I could give you a better Idea for the substitute.

I never heard that any of these were inhibitors of insulin. Out of interest, where did you get that information from?

I eat a ton of peanuts/peanut butter and never saw an effect on my BG levels. I also eat sweetcorn with no problems (as long as I bolus). Corn syrup is unnecessary and I would avoid just because of the high GI. Cornflakes are a disaster but again that’s a GI issue

Hmm, crystalization is the issue, for sure. So maybe I’ll use the “lite light” Karo and challenge Afrezza, just for Thanksgiving.

Thanks, all for chiming in. :memo:

If you want to make something like pecan pie you might consider this low carb pecan pie.

1 Like

Thanks, looks good! My husband eats GF (mostly!) so that works really well. :smile_cat:

Hi it took awhile for me to get back here but to answer your question I was told this by a doc here who specializes in diabetes…and found this out through other diabetes and other health sites with tips for diabetics…at first like you I didn’t believe it but found that when I checked it out it wasn true. I also found in a book called the 4 blood types a mention that certain blood types have problems with it. But as I am not a normal diabetic, and it’s just the hearsay of a few and not yet (as far as I know) in the AMA journals…like I said I make my choices based on research, trial and error (on me) and the advice of people I trust…