Refusal for Field Trip

I’m so sorry to hear about that with your son. If that was my child I would go straight to the principal and take up the matter with him or her. They can’t do that to him. It is discrimination! Does he have a 504 plan? Is there a nurse at his school? If there is she should be able to go to the play with him. My daughter has type 1 and in her school she has a 504 plan. If I don’t attend the class trips the nurse goes on the trip.

My son is 12 and attends a public school that has, for the most part, been very accommodating. When he was younger, and the only diabetic in his school, they frequently asked me to go on field trips with him. Now that he is 12, and there are more diabetics in the district, a nurse attends every field trip. Usually, this means that they hire a nurse, per diem ($100), to go. Sometimes they hire a substitute nurse to stay at the school and the regular nurse goes on the field trip.

Can you ask your school to hire a nurse for the day?

Also, many schools don't require nurses for allergy students because most or all of the teachers are trained in epi-pen use, so they serve as "delegates" when the nurse is not available or on a field trip. My son's middle school now has "glucagon delegates" that are trained to administer glucagon if necessary. Can you ask your school to ask for a teacher volunteer to be a glucagon delegate for him?

If they receive ANY government funding AT ALL, they are subject to the ADA. They do not get to pick and choose whether they obey the laws of the land — if they have public support, they MUST accommodate. Get on the horn with the American Diabetes Association and ask about getting mediation to deal with this issue so that it won't happen again. (This sort of thing really fries me...)

He doesn't even go to the nurse during the day at school he handles his diabetes by texting me back and forth. He is very independent so I don't see why a nurse needs to accompany him on the field trip when all of his teachers are already trained in Glucagon.

All of the teachers are trained in glucagon? I seriously do not get the issue the school has. If the teachers are willing to act if needed, why are they raising this issue of liability. What was the point of training the teachers if not for this exact purpose. Good luck in your meeting. Hopefully this is just a matter of education of the parties involved.

If he handles his diabetes himself and the school is not generally involved in his care during the school day, then there IS no reason for him not to go. If he's been in reasonably good control and not having inexplicable lows, the chances of a problem happening are very remote, and the chances of a problem requiring the teacher to use glucagon is even more remote. This is 100% lawyer-driven, I suspect — they're afraid of getting sued. And the only way you're going to get around it is to meet lawyer with lawyer. Call the ADA and get their help.

Thank you Everyone for all the nice comments. This situation has been solved. I found out the problem wasn't with the principal and administration. It was the teacher. She was to nervous to take a diabetic on a field trip alone she covered up her fear by telling my son he wasn't allowed to go. The principal had no idea this was even going on and was completely shocked. My son will now be attending the field trip.

Hooray! I hope the teacher has learned a lesson. Her behavior is kind of unbelievable. I’m very happy for you though. :slight_smile:

Yay! This makes sense! Very awful and unfortunate and entirely inappropriate. But thank goodness it’s not pervasive! Yay! I hope it’s smoother sailing henceforth now that the issue has been identified!!

So happy to learn this is resolved! This is a great opportunity for the teacher to learn about the big D and not be afraid of it - or sideline any of her students because of it!!

Kelly,

I am glad it was not the entire school. I hope that teacher has learned her lesson, She was out of line and unprofessional and unkind to your son out of her own fear and that is not ok. I hope the rest of the school year goes smooth for your son.