Resources to get insulin for someone who cant afford it

You cannot cross the border into Canada. It is closed for all except essential workers I.e. truckers, nurses etc. As to insulin, if you can get an online doctor to prescribe what is needed you could try an online pharmacy but you’d have to pay for an overnight courier as it will need to be shipped with cool packs.

This topic is the subject of a pinned post at the top of the Forum, but the point is to highlight this resource: Get Insulin - Get Insulin

Basically walks you through a series of questions to find what subsidies are available given your circumstances and location. Might be helpful!

1 Like

This is totally false. I used to pick up all my insulin from Canada by driving up there but in the past year buy all online. The online services mostly use the postal services, however, some do allow courier service at a higher cost. Those that do require a prescription will not allow a prescription from an “online doctor”, the prescription needs to come from your doctor in the US to avoid possible issues when the insulin crosses the border into the US.

Depending on where you live, if they use an insulated box with cold packs, 2-3 day shipping is fine. Definitely needs a script from a US doctor. Now some MDs are offering telehealth appointments where you wouldn’t have to go into the office, but the script must come from a bonafide regular MD in the USA. The prices in Canada are indeed cheaper for the same product if you can’t afford the copays or not covered under your insurance plans but you cannot submit them to your insurance to pay a portion. Be very careful to use a good one as there are a lot of scams out there.

Did you miss the word “if” in my post?

Nope, I did not miss your word “if”. It is possible to get a Canadian “online doctor” to write the script, but if you do that your order can be stopped by US customs if it is caught. The prescription must be written by a US doctor.

Last December I had an order get hung up in Canadian Post. It only took an online chat session to prompt them to find the package and move on through the system.

What kind of insulin does he use?

he uses novilin R…i never heard of it but that is what he use

Is he at least using the pre-mixed 70/30, that’s blended with NPH too? R alone is not enough, he needs something longer-acting to cover the glycogen our livers release constantly… Even during the night. I’m happy he’s got an appointment because he really needs some guidance.

He is taking an outdated insulin. For type 1 that is.
R insulin has a moderate time that it stays in him.
Most type1 diabetics moved to Novalog or humalog. It’s called novo rapid in Canada.
The R or regular insulin is not terribly expensive in the us.

But he also needs a basal insulin, one that works all the time
Like Lantus. So he really needs two types. He needs to see a doctor to set up the schedule.

I worry about him, they way he is doing it, is how they were doing it 30 years ago, and that’s going to shorten his life.

Best case is he gets on Medicaid they his insulin is paid for and he can see a doctor regularly and monitor his blood sugar better.

1 Like

i worry about him as well…i learned something new about his insulin through you guys as i never heard of it. ive been educating my friend so she can understand her sons friend. ill let her know more about the insulin he is on. he has been trying to get on medicaid and been denied twice already. i told her she needs documentation, etc to get him approved. he is going to a clinic that has all sorts of drs so he can get checked. he has been a type 1 since he was a child. it amazes me that he isnt on the correct stuff. maybe he was then he wasnt? im not sure. i didnt ask. but i will tell her more about it.

I just read about this, but have not used.

It was mentioned on Lilly website.

Find the help you need

Lilly is working with Aunt Bertha — a social care network that connects people seeking help with verified free or reduced cost services in their communities. With Aunt Bertha, you can find services such as medical care, food delivery, job training, financial education, and much more. All just by entering your ZIP code.

This is an excellent video. Goes over the basics, and explains how to treat yourself if you are without good insurance and have limited funds.

thanks. i need to get an update from my friend on how he is doing. i hope he is doing better than before