Responsible for actions when low?

So last night, it happened again. But I caught it before I was down really far. I think I need to get in touch with my endo and see what or how to adjust my basal so I’m not having these lows at night.

I always apologize. I’ve only been diagnosed for 20 weeks and my husband reacts the same way. The morning after he’s a little withdrawn, but when we talk about it, it’s because he was really scared, and didn’t go back to sleep for a long time because he stayed awake to make sure that I was ok. I do try and talk to him about it, to help him understand what I need, and what makes me fight it less. For me, when I’m that low, if he tries and talk to me, it just makes me cry and yell, so he justh as to open the juice and pour the skittles into my hand. He still feels the need to try and talk me out of it, but now he knows to to that after he’s gotten the sugar started again. One thing that I"ve learned is that if I eat a heavy carb meal, i don’t go to bed until the 4 hours of active insulin is done, it’s helped me catch highs and prevent lows. hope you’ve worked things out with him by now :slight_smile:

I think you don’t really have hypoglycemia unawareness, but suffer from bg level dropping to fast. Can look like the same thing. Check with your endo, but you likely need to take less fast acting insulin later in the day. It’s also possible that you need to cut your morning Lantus somewhat since that may sneak up on you overnight and not be thought of.

If you take injections just decrease your basal dose by 1 unit each night until the lows stop and you still have a decent fasting (A.M.) BG…however, you should still call your Endo ASAP so he/she can help you figure this out. You may even try a 15 gram carb snack before bed because sometimes this helps. Your bedtime BG should be slightly higher than other times of the day. Target Ranges for BG. I find that if I am lower than 130 before bed I will almost always have a night time hypo episode. Here is an article that explains why we go lower night. Please call your Dr. and get some guidance. Night time lows are the worst!

I’m getting ready to call it a night and I’m sitting right now at 135 with 16, not 17 units of Lantus. Tomorrow morning hopefully will have some improvement. For the majority of the day my numbers have been 70 (the morning low) to low 200’s (not enough coverage for dinner in addition to the stress of finals) which is really good. I have to call her tomorrow for refills, so I will mention this to her and see what she says. Hopefully, we can adjust this over the phone instead of an office visit as her office is always packed!!!

I think you’re more than likely right. I can drop really quickly as I think I might be to aggressive with correcting my highs. This is all still really new to me and I’m not quite up to par with everything yet. With the cutting the morning lantus, are you meaning adding it to my nighttime dose? As far as my numbers later in the day, they are by far the highest and they usually will start creeping up, not quite sure how this happens, around 4 even with no snack or anything. Then I will have dinner around 8 and by that time, I’m easily 175+. i think I just need to have a little sit down with my endo and figure things out a little better!

My wife did the same to me one night. It was about 3am and the alarm on her CGM went off. It woke me up and I asked her if everything was okay. She said something that made no sense and that set off the red flags in my mind. I knew she was low. I tried to get her to take glucose tablets but she got very angry with me. She was yelling at me some nonsense and refused to take the tablets. I ran downstairs for juice and tried to give it to her. She slapped the drink from my hand with some force. I tried to embrace her and comfort her in an attempt to talk some sense into her. She proceeded to punch me and then lunged at me biting my shoulder as I was holding her (she drew blood). Believe me I was scared. After several minutes she finally sipped some of the juice and she came out of it. She broke down afterwards. I was never angry with her. It scared me.

I didn’t quite get to that point, but I was violent. So, last night I adjusted my lantus by one unit went to bed with a BS of 135 and woke up this morning with a BS of 95. Maybe that was just a little too much lantus at night? will one unit make that much of a difference? This morning, I’ve been in the 150’s pretty much the entire time which higher than normal. Should I take the one unit that I decreased at bed and add it into my morning dose???

It is an adjustment. When I first starting my current boyfriend of 5 years, though I explained lows and told him what could happen, there is nothing like when reality hits. Now he is at the point where he can just look into my eyes and know that I’m low and will show up with a glass of orange juice.

You should talk to your BF and do apologize, as lows do not give you the right to act out. However, you should explain that lows will happen. Sometimes there is a reason and sometimes not. It doesn’t matter what the reason was for your low sugar (well over all it does), but it will happen. To say you will prevent yourself from ever going low again is unrealistic and the fact is that both of you will need to deal with it when it does happen.

Don’t forget to thank him for taking care of you when you needed it.

It depends on your own ratio of insulin to blood sugar correction. You are doing it right by changing incrementally. Wait one more night and then if you still are coming down that fast I would drop one more unit off your lantus, but not sure it is your night lantus that should be adjusted. I would wait one more full day before making adjustments to your morning basal (Lantus).

I don’t know if you’ve looked at this yet, but my dinner ratio is different then my morning ratio. For breakfast I need a 1:10 I:C ratio, but dinner is actually 1:15 and for that matter lunch is 1:12. It made a big difference for me when I adjusted that instead of doing 1:10 all day. I don’t know how soon you’re going to bed after eating dinner, but it does look like you’re still dropping a lot overnight. I take all of my lantus in the morning, so I have no advice of adjusting that dosing, other than to go slowly. Just wanted to give you something else to consider :slight_smile:

My endo and I haven’t tried messing with any of my ratios and I use the same one all day 1:12. I do tend to eat the majority of my food at night and it’s usually around 730- 8 and I don’t go to bed until at least midnight if not one. I was started with my lantus split and have not ever tried it all in one shot. I wonder if maybe that’s better???

Just less flexibility.

Sounds like that basal dose worked better and now perhaps you need to change your
insulin:carb ratio. What is your ratio now? How closely are you measuring your carbs? Are you rounding up or down? For instance if on a 1u:10g ratio and you have 35g carbs do you take 3units or 4units? I usually round up or down depending on my premeal reading; more than 130 I go up to the next unit; less than 130 I go down. Hope that make sense lol… Let us know what your doctor says though.

That’s pretty much what I do. Rounding up or down depends on the reading before hand. i try to measure my carbs well, but I often fall short of doing a good job. It really drives me nuts as I’m a tad OCD about things like that!

I think I figured it out! I’m still up studying and will be all night, but I think I might be on to something… I think my issue is my night lantus is making me drop too fast?

I started out before dinner- 94 @ 7:45
two hours after- 198 @ 10:31- I took 16 units of Lantus at this point
11:39- 168
12:30- 113
1:15- 102
1:45- 89
2:15- 72
2:45- 60 and I’m gonna correct…

I woke up yesterday morning, without watching it like this, not sure if i went low, but I was in the 150’s. Could it just be that I don’t need as much Lantus at night anymore or that my I:C ratio needs to be changed at dinner? Can your insulin needs reduce over time? I’m having great numbers during the day it’s just right around 4pm that things go crazy!

Just curious, are you type 1 or 2? Are you taking a short acting insulin at meals? It seems the drop you are getting would be too early to blame it on the evening Lantus dose.

Elizabeth, I had similar experience on Lantus. The first six hours caused me to drop a lot more than later. You might consider moving the time of your shot (ask your doctor about this) or split it into two.

Also, when I pulled all nighters and was on Lantus, I needed to have a snack to keep from dropping. When you are awake you are more active and might need extra carbs to prevent lows.

Or perhaps ask your doctor about switching to Levemir-- I know that some people have better experience with Levemir.

I’m type 1. I was only diagnosed three months ago. I used at dinner, 11 units of Novolog to cover my 130 carbs.

Kristin, I already split my dose. I take it at 1030 am/pm and I take 13 units/17 units I’m pretty much always awake at that point. I haven’t pulled an all nighter in awhile, I think last night was the first time in maybe six months? I haven’t tried Levemir, maybe it’s something to look into…