Scatter Laser Surgery for Diabetic Retinopathy

I am a type 1 diabetic of 18 years and just had the scatter laser surgery treatment on my left eye 2 days ago. My vision has been fairly blurry, even more so than before the surgery! I know my doctor said that peripheral and night vision could be effected, but I am wondering if my vision will return back to normal. I wanted to see if anyone here has had the surgery and what your experience was like. My doctor said that it would take 3-4 days for the eye to recover. I am told that I will need the same surgery in my right eye in a few months, but am really scared that I won't be able to see things very clearly after that. I am not even 30 years old yet and would like to have kids in the next few years. Scared about all this!!!

Thanks for your reply! I guess I am just getting scared because it is still blurry. But then again, it was just done on Monday so I need to give it some time to heal. I already know that my vision will not be 20/20 but I want to be able to still drive and all. Appreciate your feedback!

I've had laser done on both eyes more than once. It does take a few days for them to clear up. It seems like the first one took the longest, but that may have been due to the amount of work done. I was given Nevenak drops which helped quire a bit. I also take r0ala (alpha lipoic acid) and fish oil which are supposed to help as well. The main thing though is to keep tour BG as close to normal as possible. I would say to just be patient and not to worry unless you are not improving in the next few days. By all means though, contact your doctor if you have any problems. BTW night vision and adjusting to changes in brightness are an ongoing issue for me, but something I can cope with.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and reassurance Randy! This website is a great support group. Yeah I guess since this is my first session and don't know what to expect. I'll give it a week or so. As they say, "patience is a virtue!" Thanks again!

I had that laser done a few weeks back and it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal