Semi-noncompliant pregnancy

Are you in the Philippines??

Yes, i live in Manila. Been here 20 years now. i am visiting Japan at Christmas, on company trip.

I know this question was for another poster who already replied, but I want to give you a different perspective. I do not eat low-carb and have no interest in that. My control (HbA1c = 5.7 at conception; 5.3 at the two times it was checked since then; generally never higher than 6.3 in my decade of T1D) is achieved in other ways. I love variety in food too much and cooking and researching new cuisines is truly an important hobby for me. So I do eat all the things you list, but my main focus is to minimize processed foods and focus on REAL whole ingredients (i.e., the substitutes that are typically in packaged low-carb food are worse in my view than just having a tiny piece of dessert Iā€™ve made).

But I AM mindful of the amount carbs I eat and naturally find staying under 100g/day to be better for my overall health, not just BG levels. Furthermore, I try not to eat more than 40g (60 is an indulgence which I allow myself too for special meals, but not all the time) for a single meal.

I have noticed there is definitely a threshold around that level (though it might differ from person to person, like everything about T1D) that makes the normal I:C ratios I use insufficient if I eat more carb at once. I am sure there is medical literature that names this and describes it with more precision, but for my practical purposes all I need to know is that if I will be eating 60 grams, I better up the basals and do some hours-long square bolusing, adding more total insulin than a mere bolus wizard calculation would suggest. Otherwise a post-prandial spike is guaranteed.

The other factor to add to the fine balance we are all after is activity. I donā€™t do anything crazy, but I do make the time to move around (walk around the neighborhood with my husband after dinner; yoga classes on the weekend; 30-60 mins even on a low level on the elliptical at home after a higher-carb meal, etc.) 3-5 times/week. If I slack on this, I also see a small but clear increase in my average BG levels. So think whether you incorporate activity (and time it strategically for AFTER meals) in a way that helps to bring your BG to desirable ranges.

All of this was my approach before I became pregnant and also remains the case now (I am 31weeks). The past month I have actually gone up to about 125g/day on average, being in the third trimester and needing to eat a little more overall. The additional carbs are usually ā€œspentā€ on fruit rather than anything else.

And, as I believe I already said in an earlier post to you too, I have had to keep adjusting all my pump settings frequently throughout the pregnancy so far. So hopefully this is something youā€™re comfortable with or, if not, that you can get help with from a medical professional.

Bottom line, we all need to find what works best for us individually and also remain adaptable when something doesnā€™t work. Best of luck in figuring out your own best regimen!

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the details you provided.
Living low carb isnā€™t really an option for me either. I would call myself a ā€œfoodieā€- I definitely love to cook and try new things. And I love to bake desserts, but I always share them so I donā€™t end up eating it all!
Also, living in Asia, our diet is so dependent on rice and noodles, and thatā€™s the cheaper way to live, which is the bottom line at this point in our lives.
But Iā€™m trying to adjust my diet to eating 5-6 smaller meals (less carbs at a time) per day.
Oh, but how I do love my carbs!