Should I be worried about LADA? Please help

I wouldn’t worry about whether you will be diagnosed with LADA or not. But I would aggressively pursue getting a correct diagnosis. The C-peptide and antibody tests should help clarify.

While I am a LADA T1D, I don’t buy into the idea that one type of diabetes is worse than another. They’re all tough to live with and if you don’t treat them well, unless you’re very lucky, long-term complications will creep in.

T1D can require closer attention to your health but that has some benefits, too. Either way, you can live a long and happy life with either form of diabetes. But you do need to take care of business and not fall into a denial trap.

In the year before I was diagnosed with T1D, I experienced several episodes of reactive hypoglycemia. They occurred following a highly processed breakfast cereal, milk and fruit breakfast. After a few hours, I went low, felt shaky, sweaty, and irritable. When I ate a candy bar, everything felt better.

This looks like a reactive hypoglycemia episode to me, compounded by your rigorous workout.

Reactive hypoglycemia is not definitive for T2D and can be a symptom of T1D with a slow onset or LADA. Many doctors miss this diagnosis and sometimes are reluctant to do the C-peptide and anti-body tests. There are several antibody tests and just because you may test negative for the most common GAD-65 antibody does not rule out T1D.

Good luck. Push to find out what kind of diabetes you’re living with, learn as much as you can about its treatment and then take action!

Another member, @Melitta, has written extensively about this issue. I recommend that you read this older post.

2 Likes