Snacks

One thing that my daughter (type 1, 6 years old) loves when she is craving something crunchy – like cheetos or chips – is what we call a ‘cheese puff’. I think I actually read the idea for it in Dr. Bernstein’s book. You take a slice of cheese (the one we use which works the best is a colby/jack combo from Trader Joes, they are round slices about 4 inches across and look like a combo of white and orange cheeses, with a kind of marble appearance), put it on a microwaveable plate and nuke it for about 1.5 minutes (varies by microwave, it took us quite a few tries to come to this correct amount of time). Remove immediately, drain off the fat and then take a spatula holding it upside down and lift the cheese off the plate (sometimes you have to kind of push the spatula under and pry the cheese off, but if you do it right away, the cheese is still soft and won’t stick to the plate too much. If you wait to long, it’s almost impossible to get it off the plate). Put it on another plate and let it cool for 30 seconds before eating. It will be very crunchy and break up as you crack pieces off of it, if you have nuked it for the correct amount of time. It almost tastes like Cheetos, basically it is a very crunchy, cheesy snack. She loves them and will sometimes eat 2 or 3 at a time. Only one gram of carb in each slices. Fat is a little high (I think it is 7 gr), but some of it gets drained off. Our daughter will sometimes eat that between meals if she gets hungry and doesn’t feel like turkey or other low/no carb snacks. Try it! I even like it! :slight_smile: Not exactly the healthiest, but better than a bag of chips…and full of protein and calcium at least!

Libby,

Why not replace the sugar with splenda? or just omit the extra sugar thus reducing your carbs to those contained in the brownie mix and choc chips… I would use semi sweet although the recipe doesn’t specify. I found a great brownie recipe that is made with black beans 14g carbs per 2x2 piece; believe it or not, they are very good and even kid approved!

you know that’s a great idea. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I’ve been hoping to still be able to have dates on occasion. I know they aren’t very popular in the states (partly because the majority of brands are fairly tasteless) but I love them. thanks for the tip!

I agree, it’s the best!

plain Greek yogurt has practically 0 carbs, but has dairy and protein. you can add anything you like…fruit, nuts, anything to add up to your 15-20 carbs. filling and satisfying.

100 cal snack packs are wonderful. portion controlled so no overdoing it.
string cheese is good too.