Snacks

i eat dark chocolate as it has less sugar in it. I also like oat bars and I know a woman who makes me sugar free donuts occationaly.

SUGAR FREE DONUTS!!! YUM! I just bought toblerone dark chocolate the other day and this was the first time I ate dark chocolate…I guess it’s something I need to get used to :slight_smile: sorta bitter. But I guess this was I won’t finish the whole bar in ONE DAY!

Sunflower seeds in the shell.

Not at work, as they are messy, but i love to eat them when others are scarfing popcorn. The are low carb, fun to play with, and full of naturally occurring vitamin E. Oh, and did I mention, addictive.

The Lays ones they sell at convenience stores are about the right portion size.

I just discovered pork rinds. They have 0 carbs, 8g protein and 5g fat per serving. They really take care of the potato chip craving.

The protein in pork rinds is collagen, so it isn’t very good quality, but they can be a nice snack.

I just discovered PLAIN (not vanilla) yogurt with cinnamon!

For other cinnamon lovers, it’s a GREAT low-carb snack. About 7g in the small yogurts!

I’ve started making my own “sweets” using only raw ingredients. Basically, process some nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans) with some dates (my preference being the medjool) and some coconut. Roll into a ball or a cookie shape or whatever. I dehydrate mine, but you can keep them in the fridge and they are just fine. Since they are mostly fats, they keep you satisfied longer (at least longer than a snickers) and require very little insulin to cover. Granted I’m not a chocoholic, but I sure did love a cookie back in the day. For non-sweet, I just eat cheese. Lots of cheese. I think all the almonds I eat cancel out the cholesterol raising effect of cheese, so it really has no cumulative effect on my lipid counts.

Did you find any difference in your Blood sugar level using cinnamon?

I read about this, but I don’t know yet whether it affected in. I am experimenting with it now and will let you know!

Are you adding your own cinnamon? I would’ve never thought to combine the two, but I like them both.

I made some delicious low carb strawberry icecream.
I cup of whipping cream
I cup of pureed strawberries (fresh or frozen)
2 or 3 egg yolks
2 T softened cream cheese
1 T vanilla
1/3 - 1/2 cup of sweetener (I use liquid splenda)

Heat the cream in a double boiler and stir in the egg yolks slowly. Stir until thick. Add cream cheese.
Cool and add strawberries, vanilla and sweetener. You can blend the mixture at this point.
Place in an ice cream maker, or place in the freezer and allow to freeze, stirring a few times during the process of freezing.
You can also make this with chocolate instead of strawberries, using a 3.5 ounce bar of 86% cocoa.

Yep, I just shake a bunch of cinnamon in-- it is easy on the run (I carry my cinnamon with me as faithfully as my meter and glucose tablets these days). I was trying to eat plain yogurt as “dessert” and I was just brainstorming ways to spice it up. I think that I will try a little plain cocoa too!

Frozen raspberries are a nice addition to yogurt, and strawberries are great too. I buy strawberries when they are avaiable, blend them to a puree and freeze them in an ice cube tray. You can just pop one into yogurt and it’s much nicer than commercial yogurt. Instead of plain cocoa, I chop up 86 % cocoa dark chocolate bars- very low carb. I add frozen cherries and Da Vinci vanilla syrup to make a delicious chocolate cherry yogurt. I especially like Stoneyfield Farms whole milk plain with the cream on top. Delicious!

A few of my favorites:
Joseph’s Sugar-Free Pecan Shortbread Cookies
Jell-O Sugar Free Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Pudding
Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Bars

I love dark chocolate and will treat myself to a piece or two once and a while. Other snacks: olives, almonds, plain popcorn, small lowfat yogurt, smoked salmon candy, fruit, raw veggies with dip, cheese & crackers, and more chocolate.

Okay, I have to ask…I live in salmon country, and I’ve never heard of smoked salmon candy. What in the world is it?

Loren I will try this as soon as my bs is okay and in control but yummmm…It sounds wonderful thanks for the recipe and the exchanges too.

It’s a kind of smoked salmon that the First Nations make here - I think they must marinate the salmon in sugar water or something before they smoke it - really don’t know. But it sure tastes good!

Just diescovered this recipe for flax muffins, but if you cook them in a waffle maker they taste exactly like whole grain waffles. Put a tablespoon in each segment of the waffle maker. Try them with Da Vinci Sugar Free Pancake Syrup.
Flax Seed Muffins/Waffles
• 1 cup flax meal
• 1 cup almond meal
• 1 T baking powder
• 1/4 t salt
• 1 and 1/4 t nutmeg
• 1 t cinnamon
• Artificial sweetener - 1 cup equivalent - zero carb (such as liquid) preferred
• 1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup plus 2 T water

PREPARATION:
Makes 12 regular-size muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter muffin pans.

2. Mix dry ingredients well

3. Add beaten eggs, melted butter, water, and sweetener to the dry mixture.
    Mix well.

4. Fill muffin cups a bit more than half way with the mixture.

5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove.

Each muffin has 1.5 gram effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber. (This is assuming half a gram of carb for the topping.)

Buttermilk Version: Switch out 1/2 cup buttermilk for the same amount of water. Substitute 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder for the baking powder in the regular recipe. This variation adds half a gram of carb to each muffin.

Please visit my blog at http://www.diabeticpastrychef.com for some ideas.