Splitting long acting dose

Well, your lantus should not cover any food. for food you should use short acting insulin like humalog, novolog or apidra.
but i also do not understand why you should take the same amount of insulin in the morning as in the evening, for me then the whole point of splitting the dose gets lost…
have you asked your endo about his reasons?

Unless it's Lantus that is, while it's main curve is for 24hr period give or take on dose size, it has a longer 48hr small tail at the end of its use period which with exercise can prove a right annoyance.

When I used to split my Lantus it was mostly so I could alter (to some degree anyhow) what was active at what times of day using the two 4hr warm up time before it fully kicks in for when I needed the basal to be lower.

But through using even two injections it was an utter failure at trying to manage exercise with it and in the end had to just stop using Lantus two days before an event and go totally on bolus for it.

I began splitting my Lantus into 2 equal doses when I got really serious about improving my control. I began testing 6-8 times a day and with the extra data it seemed that 22 hours into the 24 hour cycle i was seeing a mild change.

Since splitting, increased testing and going ultra low carb I have maintained low 6's for 4 quarters and am optimistic about my next A1c test on Friday.

Please remember, that this is just what works for me, may not be relevant to anyone else.

1 Like

That's a strange recommendation that assumes everyone's metabolism is exactly the same. You should split the dose based on what's best for you and gives you the best results. I find that my insulin resistance goes up at night, so my nighttime dose is about 25% greater than daytime.

1 Like

Any new lab results? I currently starting splitting my lantus in the evenings.

I’ve split lantus doses for years because I randomly get severe sudden drops and the hope is that smaller doses might help make less drops less often. Doctors can’t explain the severe drops I get shortly after injections. I’m about to try tresiba and will also split the doses and hope it doesn’t drop like lantus