Stability of Numbers - How much do we control?

Same here, KimKat. I’m very organized and have the time to focus in on it all. The only drawback I see to that quality is when you run up against things that don’t “fall into line” it’s easy to just try and tackle it harder. That’s one reason I started this thread…to look at and accept those imponderables.

That does sound interesting Danny! :slight_smile: Venus vs. Mars! Sounds like fun!

Was it an arguement about whether Diabetes was different in men than in women? Or whether there are female and male versions of the disease?

Lol! I don’t like to think about these things, so I do the minimum possible – test as I was told to (except when I suspect a hypo coming on), and inject when I was told to. Eat rather a consistent and predictable diet, because I don’t want to think about it.

So with that attitude, I’ve allowed the whole thing to become as routine as brushing teeth. More than controlling my bg, other things I’d like to control more in my life (like the amount of free time I have) bother me a hell of a lot more! :slight_smile:

Hey, as long as it works!

Yep, as soon as it works, I leave it alone! Don’t get me wrong though, I can be very obsessive about certain things, just not about this. :slight_smile:

When I had numbers that were off or didn’t “fall in line” at the beginning I used to get mad and freak about them - I don’t anymore. Because overall, I do doing what I am supposed to be doing and 95% of the time I have good numbers. So, when I have things that don’t make sense, I often wonder if it was something I did and do I need to try harder. Often times, there is really nothing I am doing wrong - except for the fact I can 't control my body entirely - no matter how much I hate that fact (and my body and I had words about that in the beginning LOL! My veins/blood got a good talking too when I was dx’d!) I have to let the body go wacko on me at times and just stick my tongue out at the meter. LOL! When the body screws up and I can’t control it, the meter gets it. :slight_smile:

Yep, some people don’t even TRY to get a routinue going with D. Which is sad because it really does make things easier. Better to have some routinue than none at all. I must admit I kinda liked organizing the whole thing at the beginning probably because it comes very natural to me. :slight_smile:

Yes, I was referring to Type 2’s on insulin. Otherwise it’s sort of comparing apples and oranges. Insulin is definitely a tool to cover carbs. When I was being treated as a type 2 I was able to take the oral meds and eat quite high carb. Ironically I eat far less carbs now that I’m on insulin, but I don’t know that that is typical.

I agree there are dangers to the eat all you want and cover it with insulin approach. First of all you can gain weight and develop insulin resistance and then you have two problems. Second of all the more carbs you eat, the more insulin you take, the more chances to miscalculate and end up with extreme highs or lows (Bernstein’s Law of Small Numbers). I define some foods as impossible for me such as any cereal, rice and more than a small serving of pasta or pizza. My insulin:carb ratios don’t work for those things. When I eat any meal over 50 carbs my results can be unpredictable.

Makes me grateful for menopause! Come to think of it, I already WAS grateful for menopause…lol

Interesting.

I wonder if the LADA (that is what you are right?) and the Type 1’s (meaing diagnosed straight off as a Type 1 not Type 2 first misdiagnosed) might be a bit different in what they can and can’t handle. Perhaps there are some differences because of the way the D developed etc?

I didn’t know that too much insulin for covering carbs could lead to insulin resistance. That does sound dangerous if you kept doing it all the time so you could indulge than my guess is that even if you went low carb one day and stopped over indulging would the insulin not work as well and you would end up being stuck on huge doses one day? I dont know if this applies to Type 1 and LADAs or anyone on insulin.

I have a T1 friend who takes a lot of vitamin D and says it helps with his insulin resistance.

Wow, good questions, none of which I know the answer to…lol. I’m not aware of there being differences between LADAs and regular Type 1’s so far as what foods they can eat and I tend to think there isn’t. (just a wild guess). The differences between Type 1 and Type 2 as a condition are much more significant imho than LADA which is just a subset of Type 1 and still an autoimmune disorder.

Yes, continuing to eat a lot of carbs and cover it with insulin can definitely lead to both weight gain and insulin resistance. Good question too about the effect of then dropping way down on your carb consumption. Anyone with insulin resistance needs higher doses than people who don’t have it, just by definition. Type 2’s make lots of insulin but can’t utilize it well. So when they stop producing their own and have to go on exogenous insulin, they still need higher doses due to the IR. Would the IR lower if someone went low carb? I don’t know, but I’m guessing yes. Weight loss can lower insulin resistance, so I would think low carb would too. I’ll be interested to hear other people’s opinions, especially those science minded TuD’ers!

Btw, not all LADAs are initially misdiagnosed as Type 2. As more is known about LADA and about diabetes in general, I’m hearing more and more about LADAs correctly diagnosed from the outset, I even met a couple my age who were! The information is there to make the correct diagnosis, if the doctor knows (and bothers) to look for it!

LOL. I like to say that my body has a mind of its own.

Thanks Zoe, I am looking at alternatives and what are the next steps. Pauly

One of the major problems with tight control is the inaccuracy of the new 5 second meters. Ten years ago the 60 second meters were quite accurate.

The Bernstein law of small numbers to me seems obvious and I am amazed that some diabetics can cope with a large (> 50 grams) amount of carbs per meal.

The luck of the draw is also important. Many diabetics still have functioning pancreases which usually helps but some times make control worst.

Insulin resistance also plays a part as I have problems coping with a lot of high power carbs. I will either go sky high or low unpredictably.

Having a working glucagon system also helps to avoid serious lows.