Started on Dexcom G6

@Ken_Lyons:

I’ve had a G6 for just under a year. I use it with my Tandem pump as my receiver, so can’t comment on receiver UI issues.

I DID have to do some tinkering during my first few sensors and found what is fine for a G5 will not necessarily work for the G6. I don’t know either how the sensors differ or much about the biochemistry of sensing … but I think that many have experienced a learning curve.

Have you tried moving sensor location? For me, abdomen was OK, but competing for real estate with infusion set. Upper thigh was not so hot. For me, and everyone is different, back of arm works best.

Are you either very lean or very muscular. Sadly, I am neither … but for a G6, that is a feature. My former CDE, who is a G6 user, told that you should be able to “pinch an inch” on a good sensor location.

Finally, are you well hydrated? I move from coastal CA to the high desert of NM … and it was winky G6 behavior that convinced me that i was not sufficiently hydrated.

I’m sure that more experienced G6 users will add their experiences.

Best of luck,

John

1 Like

I have actually managed to re-set my transmitter and gotten an extra 90 days use out of it. Batteries in the G6 are good for at least 6 months or so, but the device now is used in conjunction with a hybrid closed loop system and an abundance of caution (read that as we want to suck as much money out of you as we can) causes the hard stop at between 90-112 days. Usually it is right around 3 months. Since I am already Looping, my Mac is set up with XCode and I added a transmitter re-set app to my phone. Initially my transmitter ID started with 80 now it starts with 8H I haven’t tried to re-set the more recent versions because my insurance gives me 2 transmitters at a time. I do restart my sensors and usually get between 20-30 days from them with remarkable accuracy. Restarting Dexcom G6 sensors – Updated – See My CGM

1 Like

I feel like you’re my sister, in a way. I’ve been T1D for 56 years. Been using Medtronic pumps since 2005 and just got my first Dexcom G6 under Medicare. What a great thing CGM’s!!! I can remember a time when all we had were urine tests; When there was no such thing as home blood glucose testing. I hear you loud and clear about understanding why people hoard their supplies. Under Medicare you have to be ever so careful to not make a mistake, otherwise you’ll have to live without until the next pump or CGM supply is due to be shipped out. Medicare is very strict! When I first went on Medicare, I had to get a blood test to prove I was T1D in order to keep the pump I had at the time. Then, when it was time to get a new pump, they made me get the very same blood test to prove the very same thing, that I was T1D. Anyway, it’s good to know that there are others out there who’ve been struggling with this disease for as long as I have.

Starting with 8G transmitters, reset no longer works.
I was able to reset 80 and 81, and got about 30 more days.

The seemycgm site is not updated for restart sensors for newer transmitters.

Here is topic on TuD.

As a new Dexcom customer, you need to be aware of several variables that can affect your experience with Dexcom. You have already encountered the first: only three sensors every 30 days. Sadly, you will not get them every 30 days. Dexcom will frustrate you in several different ways, and many of us have learned what you will need to know.

Dexcom G6 series has an excellent reputation for reporting accurate results. What can be exceedingly frustrating is the customer service. I’m T1, on Medicare due to disability, and have used Medtronics pump since 2008. My endo switched me from Medtronics to Dexcom CGM in 2015. However aggravating some of this has been, it is way better than the huge needles i first used as a kid, and the constant finger-sticks!

1. To the best of your ability, use up your old sensors, use fingersticks, and keep ordering new Dexcom sensors. Dexcom deliveries will NOT be every 30 days. There are some people who have methods for extending both sensors and transmitter time. Use Google and this forum to find the info.

2. With Medicare you SHOULD be able to reorder your sensors and have them delivered every 30 days. Never happens. Dexcom regularly tells me i can only order 30 days after THEY SHIPPED my order. If it takes them up to a week to verify Medicare coverage (and they WILL verify each time), and if the factory or workers have delays (for example, many are sick and out of work, e.g. Covid19), then you can find yourself at up to 40 days between sensors (that’s been my worst case; the best was 34 days). I have spoken to senior Dexcom managers and they tell me that is NOT their POLICY to make patients wait longer than 30 days. Nonetheless, after looking at my record of calling in, ordering, and shipping times they have had to acknowledge that this is the practical effect. They may be trying to improve on this issue as recently they have sent me emails to remind me of re-orders, and verifying that i need to re-order. I’m waiting to see the outcome.

3. Others have reported on this forum that Medicare patients must get their Dexcom sensors from a third party provider; that Dexcom is no longer sending orders. That has not yet happened to me, but do a search on this website and see which providers other patients recommend if that happens to you. That could also affect ordering turn-around time.

4. This does not happen to everyone, but it happens to many Dexcom users, myself included. The G6 sensors fail regularly. I now keep the paper backing of each sensor to maintain notes of successes and overwhelming failures of sensors. If you have a failure, call them or fill out their form to get a replacement: https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/webform They will want some of the info on the paper backing of the sensor package. They have replaced at least 20 sensors for me. And yes, in some ways that can be a good thing. Even if you get 5 to 8 good days of readings, they will replace the failed sensor and that does NOT affect your regular order schedule. Dexcom does NOT ask you to send back bad sensors. I did have a transmitter failure, and i did need to send back the bad transmitter, but the replacement did not change the ordering schedule, so i have some overlap.

About Failures
Some failures are due to sensor error readings that begin as intermittent loss of signal and end as sensor read errors that last over several minutes to several hours to permanently. Some failures begin on day 1, with the majority of failures (for me) by day 7. On average 1 out of every 6 to 8 sensors do not self-calibrate properly initially or even within 24 hours, and give data that is wildly divergent from finger-stick data. When these errors occur, some sensors can be recalibrated manually and thereafter give valid data (which i continue to check daily with fingersticks throughout the sensor life for peace of mind). Some do not stay ‘true’ and must be replaced.

Each failure has had different techs suggesting different methods to improve sensor performance. I have incorporated each suggestion:

• Adhesive failure on the sensor, so now i add a Skin Tac Wipe - MS407W before installing a sensor and that works well.

• Add a Dexcom overpatch – only available from Dexcom tech support. They aren’t great, but they are free: https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/OverPatchOrderForm

• Wait 15 minutes between one sensor ending and inserting a new one.

• Allow a new sensor to soak for 15 minutes in the interstitial fluids before attaching the transmitter.

• Turning off the receiver for 10-15 minutes while the sensor is inserted and soaking in interstitial fluid

• Avoid acetaminophen as much as possible, even though the sensors are designed to allow patients up to 1,000 mg of it daily.

• Dexcom will tell you to ONLY apply sensors to the abdomen. (And if using sensors on the abdomen leads to too many failures, experimentation may lead you to discover that sensors rarely fail when placed on your upper arm.)

Granted, each of us who deals with diabetes has a different body chemistry and medical profile that may affect performance, but this has been my experience. Your mileage on a G6 and with Dexcom, might vary. Good luck.

Excellent suggestion John! If possible John’s advice is a great way to “get ahead” of the problems that plague the system we are all stuck with. (obviously some have not had problems but I think most have)

Also Jane_Vaugh, if you ever have an issue with applying a sensor be sure to call support to report the problem and have them send you a replacement. (I’ve read where Dexcom is not always replacing reported sensor issues but I have not experienced that yet)

CGM is incredible and our experience with our Tandem X:2 + G6 has been phenomenally positive!

Best of luck,
-S

Are we MC people allowed to switch suppliers? Mine has ghosted me! I’m thinking it is the same as your old one. I seem to have to go at least a day or 2 each month without my supplies due to slow processing.

Yes, we can use any supplier that meets Medicare’s requirements. In my mind, no one should have to go without diabetes supplies. I also think we should each work to maintain a reasonable “safety” supply for unexpected contingencies.

In a perfect world, just-in-time supplies may work, but I don’t trust any of my vendors to meet that demand. So I ensure that each order contains a little more than my actual need.

During times with wildfires, floods, hurricanes, derechos, tornadoes, civil unrest, and pandemics, I think it’s reasonable that we protect ourselves in this way. I don’t recommend hoarding, however, and strategically delay orders or decrease order quantities to diminish my supplies when needed.

2 Likes