Steroid cream before inserting dexcom sensor?

They’re just allergy immunotherapy to try to desensitize my body to the allergens. My allergies themselves arent’ necessarily any better, but I have noticed that my body is less reactive overall (three or four years ago I was reacting to everything). It’s annoying to have to go to the clinic to get them every week, though (and it was twice a week in the beginning).

I didn’t know about Singulair causing deaths. Singulair isn’t an inhaled drug, though, it’s a pill. I do take Symbicort daily, however, and have for years and have not had a problem with it.

I typically stick to my stomach for Dexcom sites. I’ve tried two on my arm in three years. I’ve never tried my leg, because pump sites never last more than a day there due to irritation, and since I pay for the Dexcom myself, I want sites to last as long as they possibly can.

1 Like

I actually prefer using either my thigh or my lower back for my Dexcom site because it’s out of the way and don’t notice the pretruding sensor/transmitter, nor do I knock it off as often. :slight_smile:

Aside from the adhesive, your body is much more tolerant to a sensor because it is a smaller filament and not being used as an injection point so your body doesn’t attack it like it would an infusion site. That’s one of the main reasons why a Dexcom sensor can be worn for 7 days (or longer if you reset the sensor - I’ve worn mine for 3-4 weeks before without issue).

You might be pleasantly surprised by trying a Dexcom sensor in either of these locations. I’ll give a small warning to the thigh sites though - when pulling on or taking off underwear/pants don’t forget it’s there… otherwise out comes the sensor! :wink:

I use opsite flexfix for dex but I still get irritation and itching. I tried both the opsite and Flonase with my inset and dex sensor last night so I’ll see what happens. Today I’m more itchy all over again. I may try some benedryl later.

Here is one account of a singulaire related death. albuterol and the daily steroid only inhalers and pills are the only safe asthma drugs imo. The over the counter asthma drugs have also caused deaths.

Here is an article about two long acting beta agonists and asthma related deaths.
http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2006/06/common-asthma-inhaler-causing-deaths-researchers-assert

hello, I’m so sorry you are having these problems. I have been using the Dexcom since 2015. my last sensor lasted me 18 days. I use jergens soap and absolutely no soaps or shampoos that have any type of lotions or conditioners in it. I have never had to use any additional tape even on the last sensor that lasted 18 days. I don’t know if this will help you, but I hope so. I just use baby shampoo because it does not have the additives other shampoos does (Johnson @johnson). I think the different additives they put in the soaps and shampoos helps the tape from coming loose. it sounds to me if you don’t have to put on additional tape, your problems will be solved. the Dexcom tape stays on for me for 18 days and I shower every day with baby shampoo and jerkens soap. I hope this helps you because one of my friends was using a very harsh detergent t soap and her tape was coming off after 4 days. she switched soaps and she is ok now. I really hope this helps you
good luck.

Thanks Tandy, I’m having a reaction to either the dexcom adhesive and or the sensor and definitely to the pump inset adhesive. I need to have a barrier for that. I use fragrance free specialiazed products for super sensitive skin like unscented goats milk soap- I can’t use Johnsons baby shampoo which has a strong fragrance or Jergens etc. I’m glad that works for you though.

So far Flonase with opsite flexfix under the sensor pad and insets pads seems ok so maybe this will help stop this type of reaction happening again. I’m putting on steroid cream after I remove them as well as 2x day on the other areas. I have some sort of systemic reaction going on too which may be affected by what ever else is going on.

Lately I have been trying to use more areas for infusion sets because I normally stick to lower abs and hips. I’ve been trying upper ab areas and the cannula is working fine because I only insert my Comfort Shorts 2/3 of the way in in that location. But I have had a couple of sites with hugely itchy painful rashes after less than two days. Dr. Google tells me that because of the pain it is Irritant Contact Dermatitis not an allergy. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a chemical burn and that is exactly what these reactions feel like. I tried Opsite Flexifix under an infusion set and just got a rectangular reaction instead of the oval reaction.

Interestingly with Dexcom I occasionally got these horrible rashes on my belly. But I have used my upper arms exclusively for a long time and have no problems.

I occasionally use upper thighs for infusion sets but tend to bump them too much and end up with bleeding and inflammation. My internist insists that I take a daily lo-dose aspirin and I think that little bit makes me bleed more. Also as a senior, my skin is not as durable as it used to be.

Ironically when you are on Basic Medicare with a supplemental plan, it is much cheaper to be a pumper than MDI. All of my DME which includes insulin has no out-of-pocket cost to me. If I weren’t pumping, my insulin would be Part D Pharmacy. If I were younger I would try out Tresiba as a basal along with a short-acting insulin. But I’m too cheap to start throwing myself into the donut hole. Also I can’t imagine giving up the convenience and discretion of lots of mini-boluses with my pump.

1 Like

I’m sure this one was an allergic reaction. Maybe to the sensor but most likely the adhesive. Two huge red band bumps. I’ve only ever had that with allergic reactions like poison ivy etc. which I can have a severe reaction too. That sounds good that Medicare is cheaper for the pump. I will never go off the pump unless cured. I use hips, back and stomach for pump and now upper thighs for dex. I’m going to try other dex locations but the insertion is too hard on the back. Arms I had too much pain so that’s out totally for both.