Stuck a vein tonight!

Putting in a new G6, I stuck it right smack into a vein on my upper arm! First time for me. Didn’t even realize it till I looked down and saw blood on the bathroom floor!

In seconds, the inside of the tape was filled with blood and there was blood all over the xmtr too. Luckily I had a spare G6. I cleaned the xmtr with an alcohol wipe and put it into the spare G6. I’m assuming it’s still ok. I guess I’ll know in 2 hrs if it doesn’t start up properly! What a hassle!

I’ve stuck a few infusion sets into capillaries before. Stuck one into an artery on my gut once! Didn’t realize that till I took it out three days later. Made a helluva mess on the bathroom mirror! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. First time for a vein though.

I think it was Roseanne Roseannadanna who said “It’s always something!” :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Dexcom will send you a replacement. Call them.

2 Likes

Tom_in_SC,
Yes, I have encountered that every so often. My wife helps with the insertion of the sensor on the back of the arm. Occasionally, she will say, "Oops, I see blood under the newly inserted sensor. I then check with blood sticks to match what the sensor reads after the initial warmup period (typically 2 hours), and beyond. It has never seemed to matter much. My comments are not scientific, just anecdotal, according to my similar personal experiences.

For the first time I am using the front of my upper arm almost to the shoulder. I too got a little blood. The finger stick has almost matched the sensor reading right from the start. I am so pleased. I have always used my abdomen and have had very few accurate sensors.

I am thrilled so far, and yes, I can sleep with it. If this continues to work, maybe I will eventually try a pump.

Yeah, abdomen was an issue for me. Arm 100% better.

1 Like

I love the front of my arm the best! Easy to reach for restarts lol!

Every once in a while I’ve gotten a little blood from a G6 sensor, but never major. I pull on the G6 when I insert it to make sure I don’t hit my muscle, which can hurt and bleed. It’s usually my Omnipod on my stomach that can cause gushers. I did have a couple of Libre’s bleed, but you have to push on them to insert them. I also had a Libre once that I had a 2 inch nasty looking purple blue bruise form all around the sensor so I took it off because I wasn’t sure what was going on under it. Nothing, no marks at all. The bruise was completely around the outside. Go figure how that happens!

That why Dexcom suggest putting it on your stomach