Sudden painful inflammation of gums including lump -- what is going on?

I am in excrutiating pain and it's Friday afternoon so no chance of help for 2 days. I had a sudden onset of inflammed gums accompanied by a 1/2 inch lump in the back side of my lower front teeth. This occurred a few months ago near the same area but antibiotics cleared it up.

My dentist is scratching his head and says maybe some food got below my gumline infecting the gum. I do have a permanent retainer which is causing gum receding in the area. X-ray of this area doesn't reveal absessed tooth. Otherwise, dental checkups don't reveal any gum problems. Mayb e D is exacerbating this situation?

Anybody have any suggestions as to the cause and how I can alleviate this jaw throbbing pain?

Cynthia

Sounds like an infection (gum or tooth) but Im no dentist. Where is that dentist lady that was posting a couple of weeks back. Maybe she would know…?

in the meantime i would swish with hydrogen peroxide. saline if that freaks you out.

I agree, sounds like an infection, but like solo, im certainly no dentist. Like Boedica suggested, rinse a few times a day with peroxide or saline and keep an eye on it through the weekend. Also, ibuprofen may help with the swelling and a topical ointment might help with the pain. You can find http://www.anbesol.com/ at any pharmacy or grocery.Maybe that will hold you over until Monday and can get in to see your dentist.