Switching from Minimed to Animas > Anything to learn from you?

I am in the process of switching from a Minimed 722 to an Animas OneTouch Ping and wanted to see if there is anything to learn from others who have also made the switch.

Other than general nomenclature of some terms and placement within menus, my initial read-through of the training materials look like my learning curve should be short for this.

The only real difference I could see was how the Animas handles BG target ranges (a target, with a +/- range), versus the Minimed which you set a specific range (e.g., 70 - 120). And the Animas also allows you to vary these targets throughout the day as well.

I would be interested in any feedback from those of you who have switched to the Animas OneTouch Ping.

Thanks!

Basal rate delivery is different. Your hourly rate is divided into smaller and more frequent pulses than the Medtronic pump would deliver at the same rates. I found I had to drop my basal rates by about 10% to avoid going low. I did not find that bolus dosing was affected though.

My endo wouldn't allow me to get another Medtronic pump so I got the Animas. I will go back to Medtronic ... I actually HATE this A pump!! You can check my old posts for more information if they are still posted.
Jeff

Thanks for the heads up on the basal info. I switched on Thursday and my previous rates have held as they did with Minimed 722. So far an easy switch and other than learning the placement and flow of menus and actions, really have no comparable issues between the two pumps… just changing my behaviors, which for many this ais difficult when changing technology.

My only issue has been with the Insets and not the pump. I have accidentally already pulled one out, where I am sure I would not have with the Quicksets due to their shape. I also have to get use to the all in one inserter. Personally, there’s less chance for a mess up when I just jabbed myself with the Quicksets and the Insets just add complexity for nothing. I jabbed myself with a needle for years, so an occasional infusion set is no biggie. So that’s an easy fix with so many Luer lock options.

Have you changed the battery yet> You have to go through the whole prime process. Didn't on the MM. Other similar things. But, in any event, it does handle the basics so I really do wish you the best of luck with it.

Jeff

You have hit the nails on the heads. There are several differences. The one you left out is button pushes. My thought on the button pushes is they make a mini-mental status exam. If you cannot navigate thru the button sequences because you are too high or too low, you need help. I have been on a Ping for one month shy of four years.
Bottom line, the Ping is a safer pump! Button pushes, battery changes, and cartridge changes all have inherent dangers. SAFETY is number one!
Best wishes.

I agree that safety is tops. But I can;t tell you haw many mistakes I have made because of the 200 or so button presses that are needed for any process. Further, I was in the middle of giving a presentation at a meeting when my pump started yelling at me for something. I confirmed whatever it was, expecting to fix it when I was finished speaking. But every minute or so it started playing Beethoven and wouldn't stop repeating this until I had to excuse myself to head to a bathroom to re-prime the thing. On the MM it was only one button press. When removing a battery, nothing is lost. To have to re-prime is just a bad design. The pump may be a good one but the software is a nightmare. I can't wait to get back to my MiniMed with which I had no problems over eight years. It simply works! On the other hand, I hear that the CGMS that they offer isn't nearly as good as the Dexcom. I will have to see what the combo looks like when they announce it. Animas recently sent out a questionnaire and even they suggested that too many button presses was a concern. The more presses you make, the more the opportunity for an error. I don't think that Animas is any safer than any of the other pumps. But it is dumber!

Jeff

So two weeks in and I do agree with Jeff on the button pushes... if Animas just pre-populated a few of these screens, that would greatly reduce some of this. But on the other hand, I have paid more attention to the calculations as a result, and the Ping provides a nice listing screen for this (again, if the field was pre-populated for manual adjustments, that would be best). Still not a big deal for me and if that improves with the Vibe in the next gen, then that would be great.

My initial decision point came about with the lack of evolution that Minimed took (very little change from pump to pump), and their long term partnerships (e.g. their own CGM (which hurt) and switch from OneTouch to Bayer meters). I liked Animas' strategy with Dexcom.

The water protection was great as well, given I spend a lot of time at the lake and had to constantly do a "pump check" before jumping off the boat.

And, if Medtronic continues to innovate, I'll always keep an open mind next go-around as well.

I would be anxious to hear how you feel in 6 months. And good luck. What is a bad decision for me might be a good decision for you.

Jeff

Hope you are still liking your decision to switch to Animas. I wore a Medtronic pump for 10 years and no complaints. The Medtronic CGMS did not work for me at all, though. A couple years after ditching the CGMS, I became desperate and decided to trial the Dexcom. It was fantastic for me, and my pump warranty was up so I decided it wouldn't hurt to trial a One Touch Ping since they hope to integrate with Dexcom eventually. I fully expected to hate the OTP button pushes, and demoed pump for full month. My control was tighter, I started using the backyard pool, and with the meter remote it was easier to wear dresses again. 11 months later, I never want to go back to MM! Button pushes are touted as safety features, but sometimes rep slips up and says it's trademark feature for Minimed.

I never "decided" to go with Animas. I wanted to stay with MM and would go back to them in a heartbeat if my insurance allowed it. I think MM is the better pump by a wide margin but the CGMS is not very good at all. I like the Dexcom quite a bit but lately I am finding more and more unreliable infusion sets. Strange .. I think their quality is beginning to slip and their service folks are not nearly as helpful as they were two years ago. MM will have to catch up with the CGMS and I hope they do over the next two years, after which I can get a new one. Or I will combine MM pump with the Dexcom system. Too bad Steve Jobs wasn't in THIS business!!

Jeff

Actually, you can still do a manual insertion and it works fine. Lately I have been using their Ribe Goldberg contraption and it seems ok.
Jeff

Well, the big A got me again. I went to sleep a bit early last night, got up, did my stuff and put on a ■■■■ and tie. Breakfast was delayed. Then A had a major fit because I hadn't pressed a button in 12 hours. On my MM I would just hit a button once to indicate that I haven't expired and that is the end. With A, I had to remove my shirt and tie to PRIME THE THING again. It doesn't NEED priming so SO WHY DOES IT DO THIS?? I think it hates me. Or their programmer was an idiot.

Jeff

Why not just turn off that alarm. That's what I do, If I've been unconscious 12 hours the alarm wont help!

The alarm is very useful. It is having to do a quick strip to get to my infusion site to do another unnecessary prime. But it happens when I am giving a presentation so I have to excuse myself to take care of it. I am going back to MiniMed as soon as I can!!!
Jeff

I have posted before on this. I was a MiniMed user and happy with the product. My endo wouldn't prescribe another MM (kickback???) so now I have an Animas pump that I really dislike but a new endo who doesn't understand what the old endo did and will switch me back as soon as my insurance allows.

Good luck with the Animas. Some people like it. I simply don't. I would wait for the new combo with the dexcom .. it may be a better pump. The A does the job but is filled with inconveniences. Enjoy and give us some feedback.

Jeff

It does look like you're taking the right steps with a new endo. I start by interviewing my doctors, and if they don't have the same goals as I do, and if they are one of those "you need me more than I need you" types, I just say, "it's not me, it's you" and go on my way.

Yes, but the endo who I dropped happens also to be one of the best in town. I seriously think there was something nefarious going on but I can never be sure. So I really wanted to stay with her but she "didn't treat me right".

Thanks for the comment.

Jeff